Author Topic: It begins...  (Read 1341 times)

SamIAm

It begins...
« on: July 05, 2015, 03:02:53 PM »

8)

I got these lasers for next to nothing from China, and today, I'm going to try to revive at least one of these dead PC-FXs with them.

Wish me luck.

esteban

Re: It begins...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
DAMN.
  |    | 

SamIAm

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 03:44:18 PM »
It's a massacre!

First, if anyone wants to know, here are the positions of the potentiometers on these four systems. This one pic represents all of them. Only one system had the leftmost one in a slightly different place.

Anyone know what these do?

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 04:27:01 PM »
I had a badly skipping PCFX. I changed the laser and it was still the same so I figured I had to figure out the pots and in the end that's all I probably had to do. I got it pretty good just by marking the pots and tweeking them a little bit
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

SamIAm

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 04:55:27 PM »
You don't by any chance remember which one it was that worked for you, do you?

SamIAm

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
I got one working! Zeroigar is actually a very good test because of its title screen FMV cycle. You can adjust the potentiometers with the system on until it works.

See the middle potentiometer that is at a diagonal? I adjusted that one to be in line with the others around it, and that did it. Of course, I also changed the laser, so maybe that helped. But yeah, it works. It's playing the data-heavy translated zeroigar FMVs right now.

Sadly, one of the systems seems to have a dead drive. It doesn't really even try to spin a disc all the way up. I'll experiment on that one next.

SamIAm

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
It is all about that middle potentiometer, you guys. Let it be known to all:

Turn it counterclockwise until your system works.

elmer

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 07:34:59 PM »
It is all about that middle potentiometer, you guys. Let it be known to all:

Turn it counterclockwise until your system works.

Excellent news, thank you for experimenting with this!

Now perhaps I can get my PC-FX to properly read discs.  :)

SamIAm

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »
Today, I started with six dead systems and six cheap new lasers from China.

System 1: Replaced laser, turned up potentiometer a little, worked. Old laser looks cloudy. First new laser tried didn't work.

System 2: Turned up potentiometer only, worked.
System 3: Turned up potentiometer only, worked.
System 4:  Turned up potentiometer only, worked.

System 5: The only one that wouldn't even spin up a disc when I turned it on. Deduced later that laser was not seeing anything. First new one I tried didn't work. Gave it #6's old laser and it worked, but the potentiometer had to be cranked way high and the laser became more audible. This suggests a shorter lifespan to me. Eventually replaced with another new laser that did work, and on a lower setting.

System 6: Recognized CD but wouldn't boot it regardless of potentiometer. Tried various "new" lasers that hadn't found homes already. None worked. Gave it #1's old laser, did slightly better, but didn't see disc. Gave it #5's laser and amazingly it spun up and loaded, and worked fully with potentiometer adjustment.

As it stands, two of the six cheap Chinese lasers worked, although I killed one by accident, possibly before I tested it (I noticed that I had ripped the ribbon cable).

The other three I tried to use, but they didn't work. It's possible that they would work if matched with the right system. I will hang onto them, as well as system#1's old laser for now. It's possible that it's my error; not putting in the ribbon cable enough, not removing the solder bead adequately, etc.

My results with systems 5 and 6 were very strange. 5's laser didn't work in 5 no matter what potentiometer settings I used, but it's working fine in 6. 6's laser wouldn't turn on in 6, but did turn on in 5, and did work if I cranked the potentiometer high.

The next step is to put each system through an hour-long test to looping Zeroigar's two title videos to see if they ever fail. At this point, they have all gone about 20 minutes each with no trouble.

I would like to propose making a sticky about adjusting the potentiometers. I can provide pics. Mods, would this be all right?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:07:26 AM by SamIAm »

thesteve

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 12:37:32 AM »
another thing to be aware of is cap failures in the supply can cause a finicky drive due to switching noise
this applies to any system using a switching supply

SamIAm

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 01:00:09 AM »
another thing to be aware of is cap failures in the supply can cause a finicky drive due to switching noise
this applies to any system using a switching supply

That's interesting. It might explain the odd behavior of systems 5 and 6. I'll have to give the caps a proper look. Are any caps in the PC-FX prone to failure that you know of?

thesteve

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 05:13:55 AM »
sadly most of them
all the aluminum caps fail

Opethian

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 07:36:38 AM »
awesome work sam glad the china lasers finally arrived :D

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 03:15:45 PM »
The other half of this mess is on my floor right now, lol.

I am too busy reading the newspapers to actually open the boxes. 
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 06:41:36 AM »
Kudos to you for saving those PC-FXs.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles