Author Topic: -Should I get a TG16 to PCE converter or get some games that are English?  (Read 602 times)

esteban

Dungeon Explorer you don't need to know English for it. Just use an FAQ. All you need to do is go left, right, up or down to find each dungeon.

Neutopia isn't amazing, no reason to buy a converter for it. I've heard the sequel is better but it's outrageously expensive. Just emulate it.

Buy Exile on Genesis. Same game, just worse music, and much cheaper. I actually beat it today, it only took me about 3 hours.

Ys I and II is an awesome game, but your computer could run the Chronicles version on Steam. It's better in every way, and runs even on a potato.

Play OBEY

Your first play-through of YS I & II and EXILE should be TG-16 versions!!

Hell yes.
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

Converters are only needed for HuCARD games. The number of HuCARD games that are text heavy and available in English is like...four maybe? If you want to buy a converter to play four games you probably won't like, go for it. I feel it's mostly pointless.

Punch

Buy Exile on Genesis. Same game, just worse music, and much cheaper. I actually beat it today, it only took me about 3 hours.

Isn't Exile and Cosmic Fantasy 2 the cheapest duo of CDROM2 games? Bet you can still find both sealed for 1/3 of it's original MSRP

Black Tiger

Dungeon Explorer you don't need to know English for it. Just use an FAQ. All you need to do is go left, right, up or down to find each dungeon.

Neutopia isn't amazing, no reason to buy a converter for it. I've heard the sequel is better but it's outrageously expensive. Just emulate it.

Ys I and II is an awesome game, but your computer could run the Chronicles version on Steam. It's better in every way, and runs even on a potato.

Neutopia is my favorite "Zelda" game and I prefer it to the sequel. It and Dungeon Explorer converted me from a Turbo-hating Genesis fan. Both are definitely amazing.

Exile on Genesis also takes a huge hit to the visuals, loses cinemas, some content and is censored.

Ys I & II isn't the same game as Chronicles and the Turbo versions are my favorite of any port or re-imagining. If you appreciate 16-bit games, then you must play the Turbo version.

Isn't Exile and Cosmic Fantasy 2 the cheapest duo of CDROM2 games? Bet you can still find both sealed for 1/3 of it's original MSRP

Some reseller bought up all of the remaining surplus and jacked up the price. It's up to around 90% retail now.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Dicer

Neutopia isn't amazing

WTF am I reading, if you like Zelda then you'll love Neutopia, I personally think he two combined outclass the original Zelda...

Most RPG's worth anything stateside are on CD, aside from Double dungeons which is a love or hate type of game, and order of the griffon which is also a love/hate type of game. Dungeon explorer is more action than rpg and the superior sequel is also found on CD.

Personally I'd go for Dragon Slayer, it's a bit grindy but an excellent game, and Dungeon Master(Therons quest) which is amazing and still cheap despite being a later Duo CD game.

You also might wanna check out Loom and Beyond Shadowgate, more pointy and clicky but both well worth a play... and lastly Might and Magic III, which is damn near impossible to find at a decent price eats all your memory, but is a kick ass game.

On the Japanese side, the Wizardry games are mostly English and can be played without much issues.

Good luck :)

wilykat

Slightly off topic but if you loved original Zelda and enjoyed Zelda clones, look for Golden Axe Warriors on Sega Master System.  I was able to finish the game long before I discovered internet so it wasn't crazy hard, just about the same as "first" world of Zelda (the second world via ZELDA name cheat is somewhat harder)

lukester

I certainly agree that dungeon explorer is amazing.

However, Neutopia certainly had its flaws. It's a very fine game, but I wish the levels were interconnected and you didn't need to bomb every room. Hearts weren't as common as I would have liked.

My apologies about Exile.

I actually did play Turbo Ys, but I got stuck on the silver sword roda trees part. I didn't look it up until I found out about the Steam version.