Author Topic: -Should I get a TG16 to PCE converter or get some games that are English?  (Read 600 times)

GreatBlueSwirlof99

So I lik RPGs and  I thought to pick up some RPGs for da PCE but the language barrier is major and I dont know if I should get a converter or pick up the RPGS that are in English? Please help me!
The Dreamcast is still alive, so go play it before it kills your family!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
There are hardly any RPGs in English.

You can get Cosmic Fantasy 2, Dungeon Explorer, Neutopia 1 and 2... Dragon Slayer 6, and uhhh..   that's basically it.

Oh, and Exile.

There's a translation or two floating around too, and that is it.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Bernie

• Facebook URL
umm....Mysterious Song....

GreatBlueSwirlof99

Ok good to know!

ccovell

The key thing is that most text-heavy English games are on CD, and Turbo/PCE systems are region-free for CD games.

Otaking

Not mentioned so far there's also Ys I & II, Ys III and Might and Magic III, they're all RPGs in English on the Turbo CD.

On the Japanese PC Engine there's all the Wizardry games which are mostly in English.

Also on the PC Engine is Gotzendiener which isn't an RPG, but if you like RPGs you'll probably like it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:51:28 PM by Otaking »

Black Tiger

Here is a list of English-friendly PCE games:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14497.0
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

toymachine78

umm....Mysterious Song....
Berns!!!!! Welcome back! Where havecu been????

GreatBlueSwirlof99

Thanks everyone for your help I'm gonna get a turbo CD but I confused as is it like the SEGA CD? It's own power supply/FMV games ? I got a CoreGrafx II and is there a CoreCD II that is compatible or should I use the PC CD ?

Black Tiger

What you need is the white PCE CD-ROM IFU set and a System 3.0 card. If you want to pay more money, you can get the Super CD-ROM and it has the System Card built-in. Both CD-ROM sets power themselves and the core system using a single power supply.

esteban

What you need is the white PCE CD-ROM IFU set and a System 3.0 card. If you want to pay more money, you can get the Super CD-ROM and it has the System Card built-in. Both CD-ROM sets power themselves and the core system using a single power supply.

Here is a guide to help you follow Black_Tiger's advice:

http://pcenginefx.com/main/nec_compatibility_guide.html
  |    | 

GreatBlueSwirlof99

Ok. I think the super Cd rom sounds nicer since they say the system cards are rare so yeah! Thanks

Black Tiger

Ok. I think the super Cd rom sounds nicer since they say the system cards are rare so yeah! Thanks

The system cards are not rare, only North American "Turbo" products are. The PC Engine was very successful in Japan and you can buy a Super CD/3.0 System Card for $10, but they're usually tossed in when you buy an "Interface Unit" (CD-ROM add-on) setup. The Super CD-ROM add-on however actually is uncommon and can alone cost as much as an all-in-1 Duo system.

GreatBlueSwirlof99

Ok but which one has the best laser?

lukester

Dungeon Explorer you don't need to know English for it. Just use an FAQ. All you need to do is go left, right, up or down to find each dungeon.

Neutopia isn't amazing, no reason to buy a converter for it. I've heard the sequel is better but it's outrageously expensive. Just emulate it.

Buy Exile on Genesis. Same game, just worse music, and much cheaper. I actually beat it today, it only took me about 3 hours.

Ys I and II is an awesome game, but your computer could run the Chronicles version on Steam. It's better in every way, and runs even on a potato.