Author Topic: IFU / Briefcase Issue - Audio gets lost but in a strange way  (Read 325 times)

Xenogears

IFU / Briefcase Issue - Audio gets lost but in a strange way
« on: August 03, 2015, 06:09:51 AM »
 :-({|= ...so here is the audio issue:

I use a perfectly refurbished CD-ROM² with an also perfectly refurbished PC-Engine in a not yet refurbished Interface Unit IFU 30A, System Card 3.0 is set.

If I play CD-Sound like this, it works perfect:

- CD-ROM² only (single)
- Audio inside the IFU
- Audio from the CD-Menue Screen
- Audio from Audio-Menues in a Game
- Audio while Games are in Demo/Idle Mode

BUT if I play the game, e.g. Winds of Thunder, CD-Audio stops randomly. The Game works fine, loading is fast and smooth.... and as I mentioned - CD-Audio works fine, if only I do not play a game.
The perfect Demo-IFU but I want to play.

Any Idea where to look for ? Needless to say, I tried different Pads, and Engine + CD-Rom work perfect in a friends IFU...  ](*,) D´oh

ProfessorProfessorson

Re: IFU / Briefcase Issue - Audio gets lost but in a strange way
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:55:32 AM »
Take the disc and set it in the discman drive and play it by itself just hitting the power on and play buttons on the discman. Let it play all the audio tracks in order from start to finish, and do it a few times. To me it sounds like a laser issue, like it may not be perfectly calibrated. Sometimes that skipping/audio cut off stuff doesn't show up until you do extensive testing because the laser has to be perfectly calibrated to read the disc at different rotation speeds and compensate for disc wobble as it does.

Xenogears

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:49:33 AM »
It is NOT a Laser Issue. The CD Audio reads perfect. Is ONLY stops playing if you PLAY A GAME. Winds of Thunder, Dracula X....as soon as Sprites move, count 2 to 5 Seconds to hear the CD-Audio stop. I am Lucky to be not a rookie any more in adjusting lasers  8)

bozo55

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
It is NOT a Laser Issue. The CD Audio reads perfect. Is ONLY stops playing if you PLAY A GAME. Winds of Thunder, Dracula X....as soon as Sprites move, count 2 to 5 Seconds to hear the CD-Audio stop. I am Lucky to be not a rookie any more in adjusting lasers  8)

Were you pro enough to listen through an entire 74 minute audio CD?

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:32:51 PM »
it could still be an adjustment issue, as in game your running in data mode without error recovery

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
The symptoms you describe tells me you either need to make some lens adjustments or re-grease the lens rail.

Xenogears

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:47:57 AM »
Thank you for all the replies but I fear I did not explain precisely what the Problem is:

If I use the CD-Rom² in IFU A - it works fine
If I use it in IFU B - CD-Audio Tracks stop playing, when you could move the Sprites b D-Pad.

@ The Steve - I hope I am right to say, you do not need to adjust the Pots according to the IFU u use ?

@ Keith Courage - that was what I also thought and already did without an Effect

Best wishes - Daniek

Keith Courage

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »
Oh, so it only happens in one ifu and not the other?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:48:56 PM by Keith Courage »

Xenogears

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 07:49:26 PM »
Yes. It only happens in the IFU with unknown Malfunction. All the simple stuff is done: cleaning the Contacts, changing Engines, Changing CD-ROM... the IFU does not like CD-Audio during playing but loves to Play on Demo, Music CD, even Demo of the Gaming Scenes...

I tried Winds of Thunder. The Demo of the Desert Stage Plays fine but if I start - 3 Seconds of CD-Audio then off and you could only enjoy the effects :-(

thesteve

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 07:50:43 PM »
you do not need to adjust per IFU
try the headphone jack on the CDrom2 and see if the IFU is losing the sound or the drive is

Xenogears

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 07:50:06 AM »
I checked your idea: on the headphone, Audio stays hearable, it gets only lost in Mixing on the IFU somehow on Chinch L/R Channel.... so it is definitely the IFU. This is where i will contine my search... thanks thesteve - the easy conclusions are often the best :-)

Xenogears

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 11:49:10 PM »
SOLVED ! It was a broken BU4053BF. As soon, as any Audio-Effect was playing (shots, explosions) the 3x2 Multiplexer stopped working. Changed and now everything is fine again.

wilykat

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »
Woot!!  Another system saved from spare part pile

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 02:44:44 AM »
Nicely done.  Where there's a will, there's a way to save OBEY.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles