Author Topic: Catastrophy: In Development  (Read 13981 times)

DarkKobold

Re: Currently Unnamed Project in the works
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 03:27:20 PM »
Hey, DickfaceTAS, give up on this yet? No updates in a bit. Should have tool assisted home brew crew!!!

Yuk yuk yuk yuk!

LOL, says the guy getting private updates via DoxPhile. #f*cknullity has never been more accurate.
Hey, you.

DarkKobold

Re: Catastrophy! (Current working title)
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 01:12:41 PM »
Gredler is a great artist. The game is looking amazing. The cat sprite is still a placeholder.  Also, thanks to Sarumaru for the paw!

I'm a little worried about sound and music, I'm going to need to recruit someone to help with that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:16:01 PM by DarkKobold »
Hey, you.

Dicer

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
Gredler is a great artist. The game is looking amazing. The cat sprite is still a placeholder.  Also, thanks to Sarumaru for the paw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JrpZf490DY

I'm a little worried about sound and music, I'm going to need to recruit someone to help with that.

That's lookin mighty nifty...

Lost Monkey

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »
Some nice work there guys!

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »
Keep the cat
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

jtucci31

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 05:40:08 PM »
I do like the cat in the game. It's cool to see all the new stuff added! Looking great so far. I like the paw health meter thing, that's clever. Can't wait to play this for myself :)

Gredler

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 10:10:13 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. It's been a lot of fun to work on the PCE with DK - the challenge of getting things within restraints of the system is a lot of fun. Going from ~4098x4098 images with millions of colors to ~32x32 images with about 13 colors has been a rad learning curve. Hyperbolic, but representative of how this has been for me, so hopefully I can get something that looks cool to show up :P

As for the cat, it will be the main character, and by placeholder he means that the art is far from final. I gave him some quickly drawn frames of animation  in order to hook everything up in code. I am working on the cat now with the code on my machine being able to make changes, compile, and view them in game, so I hopefully everyone likes the real star of the game :) .

Back to work!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:14:28 PM by Gredler »

Desh

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 01:42:51 AM »
This is all looking really good guys.  Especially for a first outing.  I can't wait to see how it progresses.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 02:32:56 AM »
So what kind of game is it, a side scrolling platformer I presume?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

DarkKobold

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 06:08:29 AM »
So what kind of game is it, a side scrolling platformer I presume?

At the moment, its just a boss rush. We've planned the 5 bosses, each with a different mode of play. The next boss will be 2.5D. Its mainly inspired by Battletoads, and I hope that it is as memorably fun and hard as BT. If we still have the energy, we might add in pre-boss levels, but we've not planned any of that.

Hey, you.

sirhcman

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 06:27:07 AM »
parallax or gtfo!

Gredler

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 07:03:19 AM »
parallax or gtfo!

I'll parallax, I'll parallax all night long.

DarkKobold

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »
parallax or gtfo!

I don't really understand parallax from either a HuC or hardware perspective. Maybe Bonknuts will chime in and describe them for us. I'm not sure if the hardware has multiple background layers, or if its just faked using sprites.
Hey, you.

Punch

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 08:04:03 AM »
You just define two portions of the screen (one 'scroll slow' part and other 'scroll fast' part) divided horizontally. Then you set up the VDC's Raster Counter to the scanline # correspondent to your desired horizontal split.
Then it's easy, only thing that changes is that you write to the Scroll X register twice, once for the top part in the beginning of the picture rendering (VBlank) and again inside the IRQ interrupt handler (fires when the line being rendered matches your configuration for the raster counter registre). That way you can have individual scrolling speeds for each section of the screen.

edit: of course there are other, more complex tricks (like dynamic tiles, used in Ninja Spirit) and you could also set up some sprites to help mask the horizontal divide (like atlantean, some parts of the walls  that stick out outside of the horizontal split are just sprites). And of course, I really don't know how this works at all in HuC so hopefully my confusing post was of use.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:07:06 AM by Punch »

DarkKobold

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 05:44:37 PM »
You just define two portions of the screen (one 'scroll slow' part and other 'scroll fast' part) divided horizontally. Then you set up the VDC's Raster Counter to the scanline # correspondent to your desired horizontal split.

I believe that the scroll() function in HuC takes care of a lot of this for you, as it allows you to set up as many as 4 virtual screens. I didn't really understand the virtual screen thing until this, so thanks!
Hey, you.