Author Topic: Xanadu II Translation Development Blog  (Read 22503 times)

SamIAm

Re: Xanadu II Translation Development Blog
« Reply #540 on: February 25, 2017, 01:28:05 PM »
Wait until you see the chapter titles. It's the same font, of course, but they just look really nice. I'm 100% satisfied with the way they're turning out.

A CRT test is pending. :)

ashrion

« Reply #541 on: February 25, 2017, 06:57:48 PM »
Great

LentFilms

« Reply #542 on: February 26, 2017, 05:09:02 AM »
Wow, that new font looks incredibly nice! Awesome work guys!

Dicer

« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2017, 05:28:34 AM »
Wait until you see the chapter titles. It's the same font, of course, but they just look really nice. I'm 100% satisfied with the way they're turning out.

A CRT test is pending. :)

I have a crt, I'll test :)

SamIAm

« Reply #544 on: February 27, 2017, 02:29:09 AM »
Just checked them.

They look amazing.  :D

elmer

« Reply #545 on: February 27, 2017, 02:33:44 AM »
Just checked them.

Ahhhh ... not too dark, then? Phase's anti-aliasing *should* look really nice on a blurry composite signal.  :wink:

fragmare

« Reply #546 on: February 27, 2017, 02:37:37 AM »
I dunno who Phase is, but good pixel art is good!

Hate doing fonts, but loooove doing title logos.  :)

Just checked them.

Ahhhh ... not too dark, then? Phase's anti-aliasing *should* look really nice on a blurry composite signal.  :wink:

AA to save the day!  I think the edges will look great on a CRT.  Want to see an absolutely flawless example of pixel art aa?  Go check out Gaiares title logo, specifically the edges of it... good god.  so lovely.  :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 02:40:08 AM by fragmare »

elmer

« Reply #547 on: February 27, 2017, 04:02:35 AM »
I dunno who Phase is, but good pixel art is good!

It sure is!  :D

Hate doing fonts, but loooove doing title logos.  :)

Hahaha ... yep, it's always been tough to find someone that actually enjoys putting in the mind-crushing effort that it takes to make a low-resolution font look good.

AA to save the day!  I think the edges will look great on a CRT.  Want to see an absolutely flawless example of pixel art aa?  Go check out Gaiares title logo, specifically the edges of it... good god.  so lovely.  :)

Yes, that looks really good ... but, to be honest, it's actually easier to do that on a large graphical logo than it is to do it on a small font, without causing the font to look horribly blurry.

We had a limited number of spare palette entries to play with on the LoX logo, but even the single color that we could afford to use really helps the outside-edge of the logo look nicer.

Unfortunately, we couldn't bump the logo from 8 -> 16 colors and free-up some entries to anti-alias the interior at all.

Either way ... Phase's font shows (I think) that even though we didn't get much in the way of great-looking English translations back-in-the-day, the basic PCE hardware can push some good-looking screens that look as-good-as or better-than a lot of SNES games managed.

Anyway, here's the Chapter title from the game's 2nd level ... IIRC SamIAm wanted to include this one in the screenshots that the dub-folks are going to see ...

SamIAm

« Reply #548 on: February 27, 2017, 11:27:18 AM »

Definitely not too dark. It's basically fine as it is, but if we wanted to, we could probably get away with bumping down the brightness one step.

I was using RGB, by the way, and the letters were still totally smooth. I suppose I can check it on an HD-CRT just to see if anything really stands out, but I bet it will be fine.

EDIT: Yep, totally fine.  :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:32:35 AM by SamIAm »

esteban

« Reply #549 on: March 07, 2017, 11:15:45 PM »
This is shaping up to be BETTER than the original presentation.

Insane.

:)
  |    | 

elmer

« Reply #550 on: March 20, 2017, 04:47:43 PM »
We thought that all traces of this CD had been lost in the mists-of-time, but ...

The Legend of Xanadu II - Someday with my Love
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:52:33 PM by elmer »

pixeljunkie

« Reply #551 on: March 21, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »
We thought that all traces of this CD had been lost in the mists-of-time, but ...

sweet! thanks for posting this!

esteban

« Reply #552 on: March 27, 2017, 02:06:44 PM »

sweet! thanks for posting this!

Ditto!
  |    | 

elmer

« Reply #553 on: April 08, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »
One final (hopefully) "blog" post on the terminally-dull subject of data compression.

As we're rapidly approaching the end of the project, it's time to concentrate on a few of the little details that I've been ignoring for some time.

That includes the following warning message that both SamIAm and I see every time we run the script-insterter to convert the English scripts for LoX2.

META_BLOCK "ZAD", was   76KB, now   78KB.
  META_BLOCK is bigger than original! Aborting!

Whoops ... that's a "fatal" error that can't be recovered from, and should abort the whole conversion process.

That's what the message is for.

It's a problem ... that's why I put the test in there and made it print a scary message.

Then, because it was the only file in the two games with the problem, and it's not a huge show-stopper, I just disabled the "abort", and let the English conversion continue anyway.

I still have no idea what long-term bug we're creating by having that one file overwrite the start of the next file in the game ... but we've lived with it for over a year now.

No user-visible bug, no problem, right?  8-[

Well ... not really.  [-X

It's time to finally fix things properly before the release.

This all goes back to a whole bunch of blog posts from a long, long time ago.

We've talked here, and in many other threads, about how CD-based translations are a huge PITA because of the limited amount of free-memory available to change things (like the language), and how a Super-Duper System Card would make life a lot easier for translators.

In the case of the LoX games, I got around the need for that by figuring-out exactly where Falcom loaded every single asset in the game from, and then re-compressing every single graphic element or text script or code with a different and more-efficient compression algorithm, that made everything smaller in memory, and so freed-up the extra space that I needed to fit in SamIAm's wonderful-but-larger English translations.

Which was great ... a significant amount of work, but great ... except that I had a problem re-compressing a few files with my not-quite-as-brilliant-as-I'd-like compression algorithm.

Anyway ... we messed-around with this, messed-around with that, and eventually got to the point where there was only one file causing a problem, and we couldn't actually see that problem on-screen ... so we ignored it.  :-"

The problem comes from the statistical-encoding. Let me explain in real English ...

Hudson, and Falcom, and everyone else in the 16-bit console era used some form of LZSS compression (except for the SNES's SDD-1 chip in Star Ocean).

My not-quite-as-brilliant-as-I'd-like compression algorithm is just a variant of that (like Falcom's enhanced "Falcom2" compression), that takes advantage of the fact that shorter repeat-lengths occur more-often than longer ones, and that "repeat" sequences are more-often closer to the current decompression-pointer than farther away.

I'm sorry if that sounds like gobbledygook ... but it's just-about as simply as I can explain it.

The huge stupid-problem with my compression tools was that they weren't originally designed to search for both of those cases, because the code that does the search-for-a-match was originally copied from the LZSS compressor in Mark Nelson's Data Compression book.

You'd always get the longest-possible match for a repeat ... but you had no idea if it was the longest-and-closest-possible match.

That threw away a number of opportunities for data compression ... and made that one file larger than it had been when Falcom compressed it.

I finally (after approx 20 years) fixed that, and now the compression code checks for both the longest match, and when it finds that, checks for the closest match of that exact size (no, it's not as trivial as it sounds).

I've avoided making that change for approx 20 years, because I was afraid of how it was going to slow-down the compressor, and make it unusable. At the end-of-the-day, I figured-out a reasonable way of doing it, and it only adds a few % to the compression time. Silly me.  :oops:

Anyway ... where does that leave us?  :-k

Well, that one bad file ...

META_BLOCK "ZAD", was   76KB, now   78KB.
  META_BLOCK is bigger than original! Aborting!

Now shows ...

META_BLOCK "ZAD", was   76KB, now   74KB.

That's much better!  8)

And when it comes to the level data, which includes the scripts, which include the English text ...

// LoX1 GAME META-BLOCKS 176KB (22 8KB banks)

META_BLOCK "Z10",  Falcom 160KB,  simple 142KB,  optimal 136KB.
META_BLOCK "Z11",  Falcom 148KB,  simple 132KB,  optimal 128KB.
META_BLOCK "Z12",  Falcom 176KB,  simple 156KB,  optimal 150KB.
META_BLOCK "Z13",  Falcom 174KB,  simple 154KB,  optimal 150KB.
META_BLOCK "Z14",  Falcom 166KB,  simple 150KB,  optimal 146KB.
META_BLOCK "Z15",  Falcom 172KB,  simple 156KB,  optimal 152KB.
META_BLOCK "Z16",  Falcom 168KB,  simple 152KB,  optimal 146KB.
META_BLOCK "Z17",  Falcom 176KB,  simple 156KB,  optimal 150KB.
META_BLOCK "Z18",  Falcom 158KB,  simple 142KB,  optimal 138KB.
META_BLOCK "Z19",  Falcom 176KB,  simple 154KB,  optimal 150KB.
META_BLOCK "Z1A",  Falcom 132KB,  simple 116KB,  optimal 112KB.
META_BLOCK "Z1B",  Falcom 174KB,  simple 142KB,  optimal 136KB.

// LoX2 GAME META-BLOCKS 128KB (16 8KB banks) (only the largest blocks are shown)

META_BLOCK "Z25", Falcom  128KB, simple  124KB, optimal  122KB.
META_BLOCK "Z63", Falcom  128KB, simple  124KB, optimal  120KB.
META_BLOCK "Z22", Falcom  128KB, simple  122KB, optimal  118KB.
META_BLOCK "Z10", Falcom  128KB, simple  118KB, optimal  116KB.
META_BLOCK "Z40", Falcom  128KB, simple  118KB, optimal  116KB.
META_BLOCK "Z41", Falcom  128KB, simple  118KB, optimal  114KB.
META_BLOCK "Z42", Falcom  126KB, simple  120KB, optimal  116KB.
META_BLOCK "Z54", Falcom  126KB, simple  120KB, optimal  116KB.
META_BLOCK "Z84", Falcom  126KB, simple  120KB, optimal  116KB.
META_BLOCK "Z51", Falcom  124KB, simple  118KB, optimal  114KB.
META_BLOCK "Z74", Falcom  122KB, simple  118KB, optimal  114KB.
META_BLOCK "Z73", Falcom  120KB, simple  114KB, optimal  112KB.

In summary ...

// LoX1 Summary

Uncompressed 49 files, 12562926 bytes.
Falcom       49 files,  6062815 bytes.
SWD5 simple  49 files,  5235179 bytes.
SWD5 optimal 49 files,  5057690 bytes.

// LoX2 Summary

Uncompressed 103 files, 23278006 bytes.
Falcom       103 files,  9026275 bytes.
SWD5 simple  103 files,  8381998 bytes.
SWD5 optimal 103 files,  8140408 bytes.

So, again, we got a huge "win" with Lox1 ... but jeez ... we only-just won enough space in LoX2 in order to add the English translations.  :roll:

We were really, really close to needing one of those Super-Duper System Cards that we've talked about for a while!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:38:41 AM by elmer »

seieienbu

« Reply #554 on: April 09, 2017, 09:47:31 AM »
So the translation patches for both games work (presumably) bug free now?  The only thing that's left ( :lol: only) is the voice acting?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93