Author Topic: Review: W-Ring: The Double Rings - A Very Good but Obscure Shmup  (Read 3239 times)

A Black Falcon

Re: Review: W-Ring: The Double Rings - A Very Good but Obscure Shmup
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »
Typical Black Falcon bullshit: whenever your argument is shown to be patently false, claim you're arguing something else entirely or just ignore the point altogether.
I'm not sure what you're saying here, because what you describe here did not happen.  First I never said the game has no parallax-style effect, I said quite the opposite ("but the water on stage 3 has a slightly fake-parallax look to it", where the word "fake" means software parallax effects), and second my argument most certainly was not "shown to be patently false".  The water in stage 3 that I mentioned from the beginning is indeed the one thing in the game which you are mentioning as a parallax object.

There's still no parallax in W-Ring, dammit!!!  :lol:
There is a halfway-there parallax effect on the stage 3 water.  It looks cool, but as parallax isn't entirely convincing because the background and foreground move together.  That is a fact.  I've gone back and looked at it again.  It looks like parallax scrolling... until you look at the parts which don't have water between the background and the rocky foreground obstacles, and notice that the foreground and background are scrolling at the same exact speed and aren't actually different layers.

Black Falcon, this is a forum about old games, not grad school. I am not praising you or trying to feed your ego.

Please stop thinking you need to be scholarly. This is a casual place.
I think pretty much the opposite here; there are more than enough one-sentence posts about old games out there.  There should be more longer ones.

*** Three of the posters in the above discussion have ABF quotes as their signature. ***

Have you forgotten that you're not on Sega-16?  I like some things about that site, but don't make the tone on this forum more like that one.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:34:58 PM by A Black Falcon »

Punch

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2015, 05:42:15 PM »
Wedding Ring: The Double Rings. Sounds like a ceirtain shock site around the web...

I really need to try this game, sounds cool. I love your detailed reviews, A Black Falcon, please keep up the good work.

edit: seems like I missed the drama :lol: it was a good review nonetheless
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:25:38 AM by Punch »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »
I'm not sure what you're saying here, because what you describe here did not happen.  First I never said the game has no parallax-style effect.....

You said flat out that it "doesn't have any parallax scrolling" and "that for once I don't mind the absence of parallax."  That's verbatim from your original post.

I said quite the opposite ("but the water on stage 3 has a slightly fake-parallax look to it", where the word "fake" means software parallax effects).....

Again, either a game has parallax or it doesn't.  Your wishy washy kinda-sorta-fake-parallax-but-it's-not-parallax argument is complete bullshit.

..... and second my argument most certainly was not "shown to be patently false".  The water in stage 3 that I mentioned from the beginning is indeed the one thing in the game which you are mentioning as a parallax object.

If you don't want to define the water as parallax, that's fine, but what about the clouds?

Like I said, you ignore whatever points disprove your "facts".
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Gredler

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »
The perspective on the water level was so trippy I played this last night and got to that area and had to stop and analyze how it was made. So crazy, the animation on the water falls was great. What a rad game, thanks for suggesting it. :)

A Black Falcon

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2015, 02:30:11 PM »
You said flat out that it "doesn't have any parallax scrolling" and "that for once I don't mind the absence of parallax."  That's verbatim from your original post.

Again, either a game has parallax or it doesn't.  Your wishy washy kinda-sorta-fake-parallax-but-it's-not-parallax argument is complete bullshit.
I said 'it doesn't have parallax, except for the thing it kind of does have.'  That is, I equivocated, something I do a lot; I rarely will make an absolute statement when equivocation can be used instead... and that's exactly what I did there.

If you don't want to define the water as parallax, that's fine, but what about the clouds?
Which clouds, in what level?

esteban

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
I can't believe we haven't moved beyond this. Damn.
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2015, 04:12:02 AM »
I said 'it doesn't have parallax, except for the thing it kind of does have.'  That is, I equivocated, something I do a lot; I rarely will make an absolute statement when equivocation can be used instead... and that's exactly what I did there.

Saying there's "no parallax" is unequivocal, and you continue to say the water isn't parallax anyway.

Make up your mind: does it or does it not have parallax?  It's a yes or no question.

The white ones that look like, um, clouds.  There's literally dozens of them in level three.

You have actually played the game, right?  :lol:

Black Tiger

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2015, 12:09:15 PM »

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:13:10 PM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

A Black Falcon

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2015, 07:43:09 PM »
I can't believe we haven't moved beyond this. Damn.
I definitely wish we would...

Saying there's "no parallax" is unequivocal, and you continue to say the water isn't parallax anyway.

Make up your mind: does it or does it not have parallax?  It's a yes or no question.
But 'sort of' is the best answer in my opinion, not yes or no. Sorry. :)  Six of the seven levels have no parallax, but the other one (lv. 3) has some parallax-style effects that look cool, but the main background and main obstacles (the rocky walls) are actually one layer and scroll together, so the effect isn't complete; this is probably why I said it looks more like waves than parallax, to me.  But sure, I can see why you're calling it parallax.  It looks awesome as it is though, they did a great job finding a way to make it look like there is depth to the layers of waves.  As I said in the review level 3 is the best-looking level in this visually very impressive game.

The white ones that look like, um, clouds.  There's literally dozens of them in level three.

You have actually played the game, right?  :lol:
Oh, I forgot about those, obviously.  Sure, that's a parallax-style effect too.  They're obviously sprites, of course.

NightWolve

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2015, 08:12:15 PM »
Thanks for the review, I didn't know about this shooter.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2015, 03:27:35 AM »

Liar.  Trolls like you just love arguing bullshit.

To numbnuts Black Falcon, everything is just 'parallax style' and not really parallax because it's not made by two+ independent background layers.  The stupid f*ck doesn't understand the dictionary definition of the word parallax and never will.

Black Tiger

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2015, 04:23:48 AM »

Liar.  Trolls like you just love arguing bullshit.

To numbnuts Black Falcon, everything is just 'parallax style' and not really parallax because it's not made by two+ independent background layers.  The stupid f*ck doesn't understand the dictionary definition of the word parallax and never will.

Nevermind that parallax had regularly appeared in games long before any hardware supported 2+ tile layers and that tile layers in general were a tiny blip in the timeline of game hardware.

Do all the games since hardware ceased using tile layers not feature "real" parallax?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

geise

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2015, 06:30:03 AM »
There's no wrong way to do parallax. Not hard for most to figure out lol.

esteban

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2015, 02:03:37 PM »
I can't wait for Black Falcon's next review.

What are the chances he will review Ninja Gaiden or Ys III?
  |    | 

geise

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »
I can't wait for Black Falcon's next review.

What are the chances he will review Ninja Gaiden or Ys III?
It will be Popful Mail and be compared to the Sega CD.