Author Topic: Bonk's Return (mobile) *OFFICIAL THREAD*  (Read 1938 times)

BonkThis

Re: Bonk's Return (mobile) *OFFICIAL THREAD*
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 03:51:39 AM »
As for the D-pad + hitting "off" problem: this is a major, major failure of the mobile gaming developers! In the last few months (since I got a fancy cell phone), every game I've played suffers from this. It is a ridiculously unforgivable flaw in the UI, as far as I am concerned. I was 35-40 minutes into a map in Military Madness and whoooops! my thumb accidentally turns off the game. To make matters worse, MM lacks an "auto-save", so unless you deliberately create a save-state, you're screwed. Unacceptable, Hudson. Surely they could have two save states: one temporary, one user-defined.

Now, I suppose I could use the number pad instead of the D-pad, but I hate using the number pad.

Just a question - I personally don't understand gaming on cell phones.  I have a Treo (Palm OS), and to me gaming on that makes sense.  But a cell phone just has such crappy controls and no touch screen - how can any game possibly be enjoyable? :)  Why not digital watch gaming?  Why not get a gameboy or a Treo if you really want mobile gaming?  I've always thought cell phone gaming was a fad that would go away, but it's lasting longer than I expected :)  Perhaps mp3 player gaming will replace this.  Perhaps it will never go away.

I don't get it :) I don't mean to be insulting, just curious what the appeal is?  Puzzle games I can understand, but not former console games.

OD

It will never die, we all need something to do while pooping at work :lol: :mrgreen: :twisted:

nat

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »
A little late to the party, but I downloaded this over the weekend for my phone. The version I got (T-Mobile) is the "original" version without the nice background graphics. I'm not really sure how I get the version with the better graphics; I wasn't given the choice anywhere, and it's not an option in the config menu.

That said, the game is actually pretty cool and somewhat addicting. However, there appear to be about 20 levels, set up into groups of 4 or 5 that share a common theme. This is way too redundant for a cell phone game, and playing the same level with a slightly different layout gets a little old by the 5th time through.

Also, the version on my phone has no sound at all, regardless of how the "sound" setting in the config menu is set.

esteban

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 05:49:14 PM »
A little late to the party, but I downloaded this over the weekend for my phone. The version I got (T-Mobile) is the "original" version without the nice background graphics. I'm not really sure how I get the version with the better graphics; I wasn't given the choice anywhere, and it's not an option in the config menu.

That said, the game is actually pretty cool and somewhat addicting. However, there appear to be about 20 levels, set up into groups of 4 or 5 that share a common theme. This is way too redundant for a cell phone game, and playing the same level with a slightly different layout gets a little old by the 5th time through.

Also, the version on my phone has no sound at all, regardless of how the "sound" setting in the config menu is set.

I still have this on my cell phone. Damn, was it 2-3 years ago I got this? I have the updated version, and I got up to the last? stage (it says I have 1 mile left), but I keep f'ing up and can't even get to the "boss" battle (Drool?). The platforming is tricky in many places. There are also "practice" modes that seem pointless.

The title screen music is neat on my phone (ancient Motorola on Verizon). There are only sound fx during the gameplay, IIRC, though. I kinda like the updated backgrounds...
  |    | 

KingDrool

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 08:16:16 AM »
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was thinking today about how it's a shame nobody's ever going to get to play Bonk: Brink of Extinction, despite the fact that - by all reports - the game was finished. Then, I remembered this game, Bonk's Revenge. I had played this on my old Motorola Razr phone, and despite the fact that I didn't really care for the game, I've held onto my old phone just to have a copy of it for "posterity", I suppose. What can I say? I'm a huge Bonk fan. So I started thinking about how silly it was that the only way I could play this game was on my old phone.

Well, lo and behold, a couple of Google searches later and I was playing it on my PC with a Saturn USB controller.

Playing the game with a controller is certainly a marked improvement over my shitty old Razr key pad. The controls are still clunky and stiff, but I can at least sorta maneuver Bonk with a bit of precision. My complaints about the level designs remain. No control pad can fix poorly-designed levels, after all.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it for those who were interested.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 08:49:56 AM »
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was thinking today about how it's a shame nobody's ever going to get to play Bonk: Brink of Extinction, despite the fact that - by all reports - the game was finished. Then, I remembered this game, Bonk's Revenge. I had played this on my old Motorola Razr phone, and despite the fact that I didn't really care for the game, I've held onto my old phone just to have a copy of it for "posterity", I suppose. What can I say? I'm a huge Bonk fan. So I started thinking about how silly it was that the only way I could play this game was on my old phone.

Well, lo and behold, a couple of Google searches later and I was playing it on my PC with a Saturn USB controller.

Playing the game with a controller is certainly a marked improvement over my shitty old Razr key pad. The controls are still clunky and stiff, but I can at least sorta maneuver Bonk with a bit of precision. My complaints about the level designs remain. No control pad can fix poorly-designed levels, after all.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it for those who were interested.

I've never had a chance to try it, I may make similar google searches sometime soon.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 12:54:49 AM »
Tangent: ! I love that this thread has been ressurrected, because I still use my old cell phone (with Military Madness and Bonk's Return on it) as my ALARM CLOCK. That old phone is the BEST ALARM I have ever had. I wake up to a MIDI rendition of a tune from Bonk's Revenge.

I will be devastated if this phone ever dies on me.
/tangent

Back on topic: I still haven't been able to get to the end of the last stage to (presumably) battle King Drool. I haven't played Bonk's Return in ages...I hope my progress is still saved.

I don't want to emulate this game until I have beaten it with the sub-par controls on my cell phone.
  |    | 

soop

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 03:05:21 AM »
Tangent: ! I love that this thread has been ressurrected, because I still use my old cell phone (with Military Madness and Bonk's Return on it) as my ALARM CLOCK. That old phone is the BEST ALARM I have ever had. I wake up to a MIDI rendition of a tune from Bonk's Revenge.

I will be devastated if this phone ever dies on me.
/tangent

Back on topic: I still haven't been able to get to the end of the last stage to (presumably) battle King Drool. I haven't played Bonk's Return in ages...I hope my progress is still saved.

I don't want to emulate this game until I have beaten it with the sub-par controls on my cell phone.

Best alarm clock I ever had was my PS1 with a timer switch and Street Fighter Alpha 3.  I still have both, and if I ever move my CRT back to my bedroom, I'll consider setting that up again :D

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 03:19:15 AM »

Hardcore!  Princess Za would be proud.  :D
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

GohanX

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 05:43:42 AM »
Best alarm clock I ever had was my PS1 with a timer switch and Street Fighter Alpha 3.  I still have both, and if I ever move my CRT back to my bedroom, I'll consider setting that up again :D

The intro in that game is LOUD, using it as an alarm is pretty hardcore. It would scare the shit out of me.

soop

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 04:07:45 AM »

The intro in that game is LOUD, using it as an alarm is pretty hardcore. It would scare the shit out of me.

Ah, but the best thing was, I'd try and ignore it for a bit, but then I have to get out of bed to turn it off.  And once you're out of bed and it's on anyway, why not have a quick game?

Cut forward a few fights, and it's like I've been up for hours!