Author Topic: Bonk's Return (mobile) *OFFICIAL THREAD*  (Read 1941 times)

Pcenginefx

Bonk's Return (mobile) *OFFICIAL THREAD*
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:02:34 AM »
Bonk is about to make a big splash in the mobile space and wanted to make an official thread just for his return!

08.22.06 - Bonk's Return screenshots added showing off upgraded graphics!
http://www.hudsonent.com/gamedetail.php?game_id=26&console=0
Hudson just put up new screens from the re-vamped version of Bonk's Return for mobile - check out the comparison shots from the previous E3 build to the new one - a huge graphical difference!
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

PC Gaijin

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:07:41 AM »
Sorry, but the E3 build looks better. The almost photorealistic style of the backgrounds in the new build looks way out of place in comparison to the cartoony characters. Also, what's up with Bonk's eyes? :lol: He looks like he's stoned (yuk, yuk). Anyway, at least they didn't use that hideous Bonk concept art posted previously.

td741

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:19:46 AM »
I was thinking the same on the new backgrounds.  Although I think the 3rd one:
works fairly well.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 07:27:04 PM »
Bonk's Return is now making the rounds on the cell networks!  Verizon, Midwest Wireless, T-Mobile, Movilnet, Unefon & Verizon Puerto Rico should have the game now, with Cingular, Sprint and other networks in the coming weeks.

Expect a full review w/video on Pcenginefx.com soon!
//Aaron

KingDrool

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 10:38:50 AM »
Ok, after some extended playtime, here are my thoughts:

It looks great.  There's no denying that for a cell phone game, it looks phenomenal.  The backgrounds are gorgeous and the character animations are true to the original games.

Sound?  Who needs sound?  There isn't any in-game music, which is probably a good thing, considering the butcher job they did with Lumines Mobile.  The intro music is like a tinny version of the original, but is a nice try, I guess.

I have a Razr phone and getting my thumbs to not shut the game off while I'm trying to perform platforming jumps that require far too much precision for a cell phone is a major challenge.  And I don't like playing with the number pad because my phone beeps every time I hit a number.  And seriously, who's idea was it to throw in tiny platforms that if missed send poor Bonk into a lava pit?  On a console, with a real control pad that doesn't require you to jump and then push another button for direction, it would have been acceptable.  But not here.  The cell phone pad is the worst form of control ever.

But the game itself and how it's laid out seems almost home-made.  Platforms are in weird places and the levels aren't very clever.  There are some spots that take forever to get past because the platforms are placed so poorly.  To be brutally honest, I've downloaded more cleverly designed fan made levels on MegaMan Powered Up.

Anyway, it's still nice to have Bonk back and on my cell phone.  I think after I get used to the hideous cell phone pad (if ever) I may warm up to it more.  Hudson, now that you've got this out of your system, it's time to get on with a proper Bonk game.  This game is tolerable, but not the series deserves more.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

esteban

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 11:34:28 AM »
Thanks for the review jlued :)

You can turn the volume down on your cell phone to "silent" to eliminate the annoying beeps, hopefully. (This worked for me in "Scrabble Blast" -- an excellent game by the way!)

As for the D-pad + hitting "off" problem: this is a major, major failure of the mobile gaming developers! In the last few months (since I got a fancy cell phone), every game I've played suffers from this. It is a ridiculously unforgivable flaw in the UI, as far as I am concerned. I was 35-40 minutes into a map in Military Madness and whoooops! my thumb accidentally turns off the game. To make matters worse, MM lacks an "auto-save", so unless you deliberately create a save-state, you're screwed. Unacceptable, Hudson. Surely they could have two save states: one temporary, one user-defined.

Now, I suppose I could use the number pad instead of the D-pad, but I hate using the number pad.
  |    | 

Pcenginefx

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 05:59:32 AM »
//Aaron

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Bonk's Return (mobile) *OFFICIAL THREAD*
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 04:47:01 PM »
I seem to have the old version.  It doesn't have the updated graphics, it does have sound, but no intro music.  It's reaaaaally slow on my phone.  I'm assuming, I'd be able to get the newer version, if I had a better phone.  I think Dementia of Hudson has mentioned the possibility of more Bonk in the future on regular platforms.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 06:03:47 PM »
Not necessarily an "old" version, but a “graphically reduced” version would be more accurate to say.  Sounds like your phone can barely handle the game and is doing everything it can to run.  On my phone, which is only a year or two old, also does not display the BG graphics, but I do have full intro music and sound FX (and plays quite fine).
//Aaron

Odonadon

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 05:45:46 AM »
As for the D-pad + hitting "off" problem: this is a major, major failure of the mobile gaming developers! In the last few months (since I got a fancy cell phone), every game I've played suffers from this. It is a ridiculously unforgivable flaw in the UI, as far as I am concerned. I was 35-40 minutes into a map in Military Madness and whoooops! my thumb accidentally turns off the game. To make matters worse, MM lacks an "auto-save", so unless you deliberately create a save-state, you're screwed. Unacceptable, Hudson. Surely they could have two save states: one temporary, one user-defined.

Now, I suppose I could use the number pad instead of the D-pad, but I hate using the number pad.

Just a question - I personally don't understand gaming on cell phones.  I have a Treo (Palm OS), and to me gaming on that makes sense.  But a cell phone just has such crappy controls and no touch screen - how can any game possibly be enjoyable? :)  Why not digital watch gaming?  Why not get a gameboy or a Treo if you really want mobile gaming?  I've always thought cell phone gaming was a fad that would go away, but it's lasting longer than I expected :)  Perhaps mp3 player gaming will replace this.  Perhaps it will never go away.

I don't get it :) I don't mean to be insulting, just curious what the appeal is?  Puzzle games I can understand, but not former console games.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 09:53:44 AM »
I agree with OD.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Pcenginefx

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 11:16:13 AM »
They make games for cell phones because the hardware is capable of running them.  Granted, each cell phone is different, and yes there is the major problem of not being able to press two keys at once, but games are at least playable (doesn't mean the games are good..just playable :))  Zuma for example is quite well done on mobile, and works great.  Bonk (or other platform games) don't work quite as well for the previously stated reason, but developers make mobile games because it is a growing, hot market and cheap to develop for.

I personally play my cell when I don't have my PSP around, so it works great as just something to pass the time.  The appeal is that I have a phone, it is able to play games, so I buy games for it to play.  If I had a Treo, I'd be doing the same thing but I don't need or want a Treo so being able to play games on the phone I have now it why I do it.

Lastly, we ALL should be buying Bonk's Return just for the sake of the game alone, no matter how good or bad it may run/control.  Hudson is trying to make a comeback with Bonk, and if people don't buy it now, well....we may never have this chance again to see Bonk resurrect from the dead.
//Aaron

Odonadon

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 03:35:06 PM »
Lastly, we ALL should be buying Bonk's Return just for the sake of the game alone, no matter how good or bad it may run/control.  Hudson is trying to make a comeback with Bonk, and if people don't buy it now, well....we may never have this chance again to see Bonk resurrect from the dead.

I will never buy a game based on name or brand alone.  That will never happen :)  At least not for me.  I make it a rule to buy only those games that are good :)

Having said that, maybe it's not such a bad thing of Bonk wasn't resurrected.  I don't know about anyone else, but I sure don't have the respect for Mario like I used to (appearing in an absurd number of games), and I've lost it almost completely for Sonic (the 3D games will never compare to Sonic 2).  Please, let's not let this happen to Bonk :)  Let's support his appearance in good games only, assuming this one is not that great (after reading Jlued's thoughts).

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

esteban

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 12:05:41 AM »

I will never buy a game based on name or brand alone.  That will never happen :)  At least not for me.  I make it a rule to buy only those games that are good :)

Having said that, maybe it's not such a bad thing of Bonk wasn't resurrected.  I don't know about anyone else, but I sure don't have the respect for Mario like I used to (appearing in an absurd number of games), and I've lost it almost completely for Sonic (the 3D games will never compare to Sonic 2).  Please, let's not let this happen to Bonk :)  Let's support his appearance in good games only, assuming this one is not that great (after reading Jlued's thoughts).

OD
Yes, yes, yes! I totally agree! Hudson has to do more than merely include the likeness of Bonk in a game if they want my support (by that, I mean my $$$).
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 12:18:58 AM »
They make games for cell phones because the hardware is capable of running them.  Granted, each cell phone is different, and yes there is the major problem of not being able to press two keys at once, but games are at least playable (doesn't mean the games are good..just playable :))  Zuma for example is quite well done on mobile, and works great.  Bonk (or other platform games) don't work quite as well for the previously stated reason, but developers make mobile games because it is a growing, hot market and cheap to develop for.

I personally play my cell when I don't have my PSP around, so it works great as just something to pass the time.  The appeal is that I have a phone, it is able to play games, so I buy games for it to play.  If I had a Treo, I'd be doing the same thing but I don't need or want a Treo so being able to play games on the phone I have now it why I do it.

I can't / don't want to carry around a handheld system, since I have enough stuff I lug around in my pockets: cell phone, wallet (too fat!), lip balm, mini swiss army knife, keys (lots!). I am not even a fan of cell phones, but I am required to always be "on call", so I have to bring it with me wherever I go. Since I bring it everywhere, it's with me when I have a few minutes of free time. That's the only reason I even ventured into cellular games: it was convenient (like Mr. Nanto said).

Now, even though I fear that Cellular Bonk might not be a good game, I must admit that my curiosity will probably get the better of me and I will probably play it at some point. However, it costs an outrageous $7 on my provider (Verizon) and I'm hoping that they will knock it down to $4. I don't know if they will ever lower the price, but at this point I have no desire to spend $7 on a cellular game (unless it was, you know, STELLAR! by all accounts).

Cellular gaming is a quirky platform, for sure.... but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want to play Blodia (Timeball) on my phone! :)

|    |