Author Topic: WTB: Neo Geo AES or MVS System  (Read 2921 times)

Lost Monkey

Re: WTB: Neo Geo AES or MVS System
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 02:01:04 AM »
Not a Neo Geo guy.. what is the significance of a low serial?

The lower serial numbers have better RGB output, there's a rough bracket knocking about that groups the quality of the RGB output opposed to the composite output.

It's rated something like:

0-85000 | RGB - A, Composite - C
85000 - 130000 | RGB - B, Composite - B
130000 - >190000 | RGB - C, Composite - A

Those numbers are made up but you get the general idea, higher serial number means better quality composite, worse RGB which means you'll likely need an RGB amp or pass through if using RGB with a high s/n AES.

I see, thanks.  Glad it is a practical reason... and not a penis measurement...

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 02:12:27 AM »
If you don't care how it looks and want to do it as cheaply as possible get a supergun and a mvs board. Use this as your guide:
http://www.hardmvs.com/html/PCBcompare.htm
I ended up getting my mvs-1 setup with a few games for under $200 including adapters to ps2 controllers, memory card reader and cards, unibios and it works great. Still need an enclosure for the damn thing, but there you go..

stinkoman

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 04:36:03 AM »
On topic - If you're a member over on the Neo Geo forums that's your best bet.
Yes...but n-g folks are a special clique. You think PCFX members are brash, opinionated a$$holes, wait till you read these guys threads.

Looking for an AES with a couple games or a consolized MVS.
Are you just getting interested in Neo or is this a replacement? I went MVS (cab) route myslef, over the years I've acquired a few carts, all loose, some boots. Sold and traded some turds.

Yeah they are pretty bad. I have an account from 2002 that is still active. I stop dealing with that site because of the self entitled a$$holes over there.

I'm not looking to sink a lot of money into and build a collection. At least not AES stuff. I had a system in the past and have a few games from when i had my last system and just want to play a few of them again. The consolized MVS is nice cause it opens the doors for more games down the road.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 06:28:49 AM »
Not a Neo Geo guy.. what is the significance of a low serial?

The lower serial numbers have better RGB output, there's a rough bracket knocking about that groups the quality of the RGB output opposed to the composite output.

It's rated something like:

0-85000 | RGB - A, Composite - C
85000 - 130000 | RGB - B, Composite - B
130000 - >190000 | RGB - C, Composite - A

Those numbers are made up but you get the general idea, higher serial number means better quality composite, worse RGB which means you'll likely need an RGB amp or pass through if using RGB with a high s/n AES.

Spot on.  My AES IS 15,000.  If you must have an ARS, get one with a MVS converter, play cheaper arcade carts right on it.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 08:43:32 AM »
I was lucky enough to get some awesome deals for aes games when i was able to picking em up. I got to 76 titles but now its getting pricy so im just focusing on mvs and neo cd. I have a few friends who would love to have a neo geo system but just dont have the cash for aes. Cmvs+multicart=a great way to get into neo geo and to try out the great games

Black Tiger

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 09:13:08 AM »
To me, an MVS converter defeats the whole point of the novelty of owning an AES. Imagine a PC Engine with a Sega clamshell sized combo sticking out the front.

If you want a functional system and more and cheaper games, a CMVS is the only way to go. Even the best AES models for either RGB or composite aren't as good as a well-made CMVS and unibios is a must have.

If you've never owned an AES console, you'lly be shocked by how cheap and flimsy it feels. If you really want one to look at, your best bet is to buy a broken one for cheap and get a CMVS for actually playing games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Caseh

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
I had an MVS 6 slot and a load of games years back but sold the lot. This time around I opted for an AES, I don't regret the purchase but the MVS is the best option if it's all about having access (for reasonable sums of money) to the majority of the Neo library.

You either have to be insane or loaded to justify the purchase of most AES games. I made my peace and accepted I'll never own the likes of a MOTW or the Metal Slug games but there's enough of the common carts knocking about to keep me happy.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 11:51:47 AM »
Then why even own a Neo Geo? Just to get your dick hard? If I couldn't play any game made after 1995 I probably wouldn't have bothered.

So you don't have Metal Slug 3? What's the point?

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
I still say it is a great system, a great 2 player system.  The AES isn't quite as cheap and flimsy as posted earlier but it is very much an arcade board with plastic molded around it, almost an after thought.  Getting an AES and some cheap games is fine just to have, SS2 alone justifies the purchase IMHO.  You can get later games if you search for deals but any good games are going to be north of $100 for sure.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Caseh

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »
Then why even own a Neo Geo? Just to get your dick hard? If I couldn't play any game made after 1995 I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Why even own a PC Engine? I can play all the games on an emulator, right? Actually, why own any consoles made before 2005? :)

There are quite a few games made after 95 that are perfectly affordable, KOF games up to around 2000 as an example.

And MS3 is one of my least favourite of the series with MS1 and X beings personal favourites, not willing to sell body organs to fund the purchase though.

Opethian

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 12:55:16 AM »
2 > X

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

SignOfZeta

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 12:59:37 AM »

Why even own a PC Engine? I can play all the games on an emulator, right? Actually, why own any consoles made before 2005? :)

Was that suposed to apply in any way to something I said?

Sure, you can have fun with any Neo Geo, even a Neo Geo X, but if you HAD an MVS and switched to AES and you aren't a millionaire then ALL you did was reduce the number of games you can play. That's it.

Caseh

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 01:48:24 AM »
Sure, you can have fun with any Neo Geo, even a Neo Geo X, but if you HAD an MVS and switched to AES and you aren't a millionaire then ALL you did was reduce the number of games you can play. That's it.

Not really, if you own an AES you can play both formats. The price of an AES and convertor is probably comparable to a CMVS. Difference being the AES will no doubt gain value over time.

The MVS/convertor is simply a path I've not bothered going down this time around.

Black Tiger

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 03:37:33 AM »

Not really, if you own an AES you can play both formats. The price of an AES and convertor is probably comparable to a CMVS. Difference being the AES will no doubt gain value over time.

The MVS/convertor is simply a path I've not bothered going down this time around.

Has a 100% converter been invented yet? If so, are they no longer hundreds of dollars? Last time I checked, the Super V2(?) converter was over $300 alone and required an additional power supply sold separately to play some games.

Still seems like buying a PCE LT + SCD + adatpter + HuCard converter.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Caseh

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 03:51:28 AM »
There's one called Magic Key that plays pretty much everything, even the multi carts. It's about £200 and to my knowledge it doesn't require it's own Psu and has a variant of the unibios installed.

I think there may be issues with AES systems that use the 5v PSU but I may be confusing it with the Phantom convertor.