Author Topic: TED v2 Programming Notes  (Read 4001 times)

tbone3969

Re: TED v2 Programming Notes
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 07:01:36 AM »
Ok so I have my Super System 3.0 rom and I have the 3.0 USA System Card patch file in xdelta format.  The instructions say to "apply the xdelta patch to the image".  How exactly do I do that?
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

elmer

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 12:20:29 PM »
Ok so I have my Super System 3.0 rom and I have the 3.0 USA System Card patch file in xdelta format.  The instructions say to "apply the xdelta patch to the image".  How exactly do I do that?

Is the ability to use Google a dying art these days?  :roll:

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/

tbone3969

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »

Is the ability to use Google a dying art these days?  :roll:

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/

Many thanks.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Nexus7

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »
So, why doesn't Krikzz advertise this feature?

elmer

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 03:54:34 AM »
So, why doesn't Krikzz advertise this feature?

I imagine that because then he'd have to test it and support it, and he doesn't think that it's an important-enough feature to go to that effort.

Putting the System Card BIOS into RAM on the TED v2 opens-up the possibility for games to overwrite it, corrupt it, and either crash or behave wrongly.

The patch contains a fix for one well-known case of that happening in Gate of Thunder.

I don't know of any other games that might have similar problems, but I haven't played-through every single CD ever released to check them all.

If there is ever a report of a repeatable problem with a certain game, then it can probably be found and fixed.

If you want a better explanation than that, then you'd have to ask krikzz himself.

fluxcore

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 06:47:11 AM »
Setup:

OG PCE w/IFU and cd player (briefcase)
Turbo Everdrive v2.5
3rd party 2.0A power supply

Issue:

When pressing 'RUN' within the patched cd system bios, the 'WAIT A MOMENT' status stays for a lot longer than on a proper system v2.1 card, and then proceeds to a black screen, but never progresses past there. Just a bunch of CD seeking noises. Happens with both burned CDs and officially pressed CDs. Loads fine with the official card.

I'm wondering if something in the v2.5 revision of the TED has changed? As I understand it, even with the oldest-school CD setup, the v2+ TEDs with the patched bios should function as a 3.0 system card.

I've ordered a legit 3.1 card anyway (they aren't that expensive), but am interested in seeing if the TED version can be made to work (i.e. if there's a bug, or problem with my system).

Awesome work with the bios patch btw, very appreciative of anyone working to make these old systems more usable and available!

Cheers

There is no knowledge that is not power

SiberianSpForces

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 12:30:55 AM »
If you haven't already, post the issue on kirkzzizesses's forum.

elmer

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
When pressing 'RUN' within the patched cd system bios, the 'WAIT A MOMENT' status stays for a lot longer than on a proper system v2.1 card, and then proceeds to a black screen, but never progresses past there.

Sorry, I've been busy dealing with my personal life for the last week+.

IIRC, the TED that I got on last-year's Black Friday was a 2.5, and I have the rest of the equipment.

I can test it here and try to reproduce the problem ... but I can't see why Krikzz would change the FPGA's register settings with 2.5.

It *could* possibly be something to do with voltage regulation and bus-loading on your particular hardware.

Do you know if the capacitors have been replaced on your system?

What are the specs on the 3rd-party PSU?

fluxcore

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 06:53:14 PM »
I can test it here and try to reproduce the problem ... but I can't see why Krikzz would change the FPGA's register settings with 2.5.

It *could* possibly be something to do with voltage regulation and bus-loading on your particular hardware.

Do you know if the capacitors have been replaced on your system?

What are the specs on the 3rd-party PSU?

I agree, it does seem more likely to be some kind of power issue, it certainly wouldn't be the first time with a TED. The red LED track displaying 'PC' while loading does slightly pulse at times, which makes me think maybe power, as well.

The DC adapter is a 100-240V-> 9V 2A (so cheapo switching adapter), what specs in particular are you after?

Supposedly the CD/IFU have had caps changed, but I haven't confirmed. I'll open it up and take a peek when my RGB mod board arrives (it's currently unmodded). If there are any voltmeter readings etc that would be helpful I can get some.

Cheers for the response, I really just asked in case there was a known issue or something obvious :)
There is no knowledge that is not power

Keith Courage

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2017, 12:39:27 PM »
I recently got a new V2.5 and I cannot get the patched file to work. I have tested the everdrive in 3 different DUOs with original power supplies and no region mods. Game starts to load and then crashes immediately on the first picture that shows up. Must be something wrong with my Everdrive?

All game roms load up with no issues at all.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:41:49 PM by Keith Courage »

tbone3969

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »
Are you sure you applied the patch correctly?  I can send you my file which I have confirmed works on my TurboGrafx CD.

Wait.....   you said DUO.  What would you need a system 3.0 card for?

I am sure you know it will not function as an arcade card.

Keith Courage

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
So you can leave your Turbo Everdrive in the system and still run Super CD games without damaging the DUO. That was the original purpose of the patch correct?

I've tried many patches that others have sent me to avail but if you want to send me yours so I can try it again it can't hurt.

I've also tested it in a Turbo Grafx and regular PC engine with the exact same results.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:34:30 PM by Keith Courage »

TheOldMan

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »
So you can leave your Turbo Everdrive in the system and still run Super CD games without damaging the DUO. That was the original purpose of the patch correct?

I've tried many patches that others have sent me to avail but if you want to send me yours so I can try it again it can't hurt.

I've also tested it in a Turbo Grafx and regular PC engine with the exact same results.

Elmers patch does work. Honestly.
The major problem I had was finding the correct version of the system card. It is -not- the 3.0 version; read the patch information carefully (it only works on 1 specific version card).

The version I used that worked had a bunch of the same exact values at the beginning. Apparently, this
is delay code to fix a problem with the reset signal (as far as I remember ).  You may also need to do some monkeying around with the header info, iirc.

It's also possible that something has changed with the 2.5 everdrive. That -may- be your problem.

Keith Courage

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »
Is there any kind of test I can do to find out if the problem is my everdrive or the patched files I've tried? I've honestly tried multiple ones sent to me by people who claim that they work on their setup. So I'm more leaning towards there being something odd with the everdrive. Not sure if krikzz will let me send it in for any warranty service for this patch/function not working since he doesn't really condone the use of it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2017, 02:34:41 AM »
Have you tried a different SD card?  I don't know why it'd matter, but maybe there's something about the one you're using that the TED doesn't like.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles