Author Topic: TED v2 Programming Notes  (Read 4000 times)

Keith Courage

Re: TED v2 Programming Notes
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
Well after all my testing I never thought it could be the game I was using. I was testing Dragon Slayer II. For whatever reason this game crashes on the first game screen that has ADPCM audio with every system I've tested it on. So there is some bug with this game and the patched file working correctly. Anyone else else stumble across any other games it won't work with?

As of now I've tested 5 other Super CD games with no issues at all. Glad to know my everdrive isn't a dud.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:18:57 AM by Keith Courage »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2017, 09:23:01 AM »
Funky.  Which region system card is supposed to be patched?  Maybe this is one of the few games that won't work on US syscard.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keith Courage

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2017, 09:28:05 AM »
I've tested both the US and JP patched files with it. No difference. I know it's not my disc because it loads up fine using a system card or built in DUO system card.

Nevertheless great work on the patch. Can't complain if only 1 game out of the entire pc engine library doesn't work correctly with it.

elmer

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »
Well after all my testing I never thought it could be the game I was using. I was testing Dragon Slayer II. For whatever reason this game crashes on the first game screen that has ADPCM audio with every system I've tested it on. So there is some bug with this game and the patched file working correctly. Anyone else else stumble across any other games it won't work with?

Hmmmm ... that's really good to know!

There is definitely a potential issue with the patched system card on the TED v2, in that the HuCard ROM is actually in writable RAM instead of ROM.

The patch already has one bug-fix in it to deal with Gate of Thunder erroneously writing to ROM area ... but that was the only game that I knew of that did that.

Perhaps you've found a 2nd game that needs a fix. I'll have to take a look at that.

Is the crash during the 1st ADPCM that's in the castle, or is it in the 1st cutscene when you start the game?

Thanks for the report and the confirmation that other games work!

Keith Courage

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »
it happens just passed the cutscenes as the adPCM audio starts to play and the main character gets out of bed.

elmer

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2017, 07:32:19 PM »
it happens just passed the cutscenes as the adPCM audio starts to play and the main character gets out of bed.

Thanks!

The problem actually happens MUCH earlier in the game's boot process when it looks like the game is doing some half-assed check for some kind of Hudson development kit, and then it enables some debugging code.

Having the System Card image in the TED v2's RAM triggers a nasty bug in that code which blows up the game when the ADPCM plays.

I've got a simple one-byte patch to the CD game to make it work ... but it'll take a bit longer
(if ever) to figure out how to safely auto-patch the game itself from my TED-patched System Card image.

Keith Courage

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2017, 07:57:40 PM »
No worries, it's just cool that you were able to make this patch in the first place. It just makes things so convenient. Not to mention being able to use it in place of a super system card for both pc engine/TG16 systems as well.

I am also glad to find out my TE is fine because the entire time I was testing this game I was worried my everdrive was buggy.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:37:43 PM by Keith Courage »

Gredler

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2018, 08:44:35 AM »
Just wanted to pop in and say wow this thread is amazing - I downloaded the HuC and got it building my code. Gredler has said hello to the world, thanks dude!! I really appreciate the concise location for everything! Maybe a new thread title would help dullards like me remember where the download links are :) When I see Ted V2 Programming notes I thought it was related specifically to the work you did on that subject, but didn't think to look here for the HuC updates - and the Mednafan mod! I just downloaded that and will be trying it on my next build :)

Thanks again sir!

touko

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2018, 01:49:19 AM »
Hi elmer, can you update your mednafen version ?,because there is a bug with the SGX window in the old versions .
It's corrected since the 0.9.41 .
Thanks in advance ;-)