Author Topic: Tennokoe Bank question  (Read 283 times)

wyndcrosser

Tennokoe Bank question
« on: November 28, 2015, 12:06:31 PM »
I need to replace the battery on my bank. I really don't want to have to buy "another" Tennokoe Bank to move games over to and then replace the battery on mine.

Is there a way to keep it powered up and retain saves, i.e. If I have the card plugged in and the system powered on, can I de-solder the battery and install the new one? I would obviously have to remove the "Shield" before inserting the hucard.

I haven't seen anywhere with this question specifically or an answer. I know some people do this with SNES games.

Any ideas let me know.

Ergot_Cholera

Re: Tennokoe Bank question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:15:55 AM »
I would advise against soldering with the card in the system. The battery is a CR2032 with tabs facing the same way (don't know if there is a more technical way to describe this).
Maybe if you change the battery quick enough then the saves will be retained, I have read of this happening with SNES games but I cannot confirm if it is true.

CatPix

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 03:21:53 AM »
From what I grasped on SRAM, they can retain save UP TO 30 seconds. Which means that you could have 30 seconds to solder our battery... Or if your banks and block full, everything vanishes in the half a second after you disconnect the battery.

What you can do is to solder a temporary battery (with wires)on the power feed, if the battery tabs allow for it. so you have time to fiddle around.

But, question. If you don't want to lose your saves is because your Tennokoe bank retain saves? Or does it keep them, but for a short period?
If your Tennokoe bank retain save saves for more than one day, then you don't need to change the battery.
Sadly, there is no predictable way to know when the batteries are going to run out.

If it doesn't retain saves, then you probably only have your Tennokoe 2 or CD-ROM2 attachment/Duo saves left. So why do you need to keep your Tennokoe card powered? Leave your CD-ROM2 system on and take time to swap your battery.

wyndcrosser

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 05:55:28 AM »
I was honestly hoping for more responses based on facts, sorry to say. I've been slowly replacing all the batteries of devices I'm using, Neo Geo Memory card, NES or SNES batteries, etc. I'd rather not lose my saves. I've got a few larger games which require the Tennokoe Bank functionality to save to from my DUO-R. I just rotate what Bank is currently on my DUO-R. My plan is just to use a tabbed CR2032 and wire to the two pads using thin wire and then "Tape" the cover back on.

wilykat

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 01:48:52 AM »
5v power supply, couple of alligator clips, clip the 5v and ground to the 5v and ground pin of Hucard connector end (don't cross polarity!), power it up, the swap battery while the SRAM is powered by 5v external source.  Hope it works.

Option 2: borrow Tennokoe2, Duo, CD system, etc and transfer each of the 4 save banks to other systems or Tennokoe2. Then swap battery, transfer all back to your bank card.

Pokun

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »
You could get a Memory Base 128 or Save-kun to back up all saves to. You'd need a CD-unit and a game with MB128 manager that can do that though.

MNKyDeth

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 04:59:13 AM »
You could get a Memory Base 128 or Save-kun to back up all saves to. You'd need a CD-unit and a game with MB128 manager that can do that though.

That's actually what I did recently after seeing the thread Nullity made about needing a hero. >.<

I bought a Memory Base 128 and several games that I knew supported it. Popful Mail, Emerald Dragon are the two I bought for it. Honestly I have not used it yet as I am waiting for a few more items for my SuperGrafx before it goes into use. But I have high hopes. :)

Pokun

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 06:17:53 AM »
I believe Popful Mail only can save directly to the unit, it can't manage other data than its own.

Emerald Dragon however can't save directly to it, but it can manage banks from a special menu.

vxbinaca

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 09:28:37 AM »
Tennokoe 2 units are still cheap, it's pretty much required kit and they ALWAYS are handy. I have two.

CatPix

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 10:53:26 AM »
He mentionned a Duo-R, so I supose unless he own a PC Engine aside, he won't have any use for a Tennokoe II.

wyndcrosser

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 12:41:29 AM »
He mentionned a Duo-R, so I supose unless he own a PC Engine aside, he won't have any use for a Tennokoe II.

Smart man, yes that's true.