Author Topic: Zenki battle Raiden  (Read 682 times)

lukester

Zenki battle Raiden
« on: December 25, 2015, 03:15:55 PM »
I have no idea how good this Zenki PC-fx game is, but Hudson made another Zenki game for the super famicom.

It's a really good beatemup platformer, with a relatively low difficulty level and a versatile move set. I've probably beat this game at least 8 times. There's a 2nd loop for experts as well.

Also has some of the nicest non-mapper chip Snes visuals!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nIPz1dFgY

Black Tiger

Re: Zenki battle Raiden
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 09:31:55 AM »
It's worth playing through on a flashcart, but was disappointing as a Zenki and SNES fan, especially after having already played the PC-FX game. It feels like it was a budget project by Hudson and the team really phoned it in to get it done fast. Gives me a similar lackluster feel that Valis IV PCE does. What sucks is that like Popful Mail SFC, there a bunch of cool tile artwork, but it's put together in a way that makes to feel overly repetive and bland for the most part. Some of the background layers have ridiculous vertical scrolling and artwork-positioning combos that kill the effect and the boss battles suffer from excessive mirroring. The final boss scene and stage in the clouds are great examples of the potential the game had.

If you like this game, you'll love Kishin Douji Zenki, which is pretty much a SuperGrafx game with PC-FX background enhancements.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 02:55:35 AM »
It looks interesting, but the enemies are kinda sparse compared to the PC-FX game, where you're almost always getting attacked by multiple enemies and not just one at a time.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

filler

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »
Coincidentally, you guys may be interested to know, I just finished spot checking and editing the script for this game that another translator just completed. This may crop up as a finished translation patch sometime in the not too distant future.

elmer

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 04:22:43 PM »
Coincidentally, you guys may be interested to know, I just finished spot checking and editing the script for this game that another translator just completed. This may crop up as a finished translation patch sometime in the not too distant future.

Excellent, I'd absolutely love to see another PC-FX translation! :D  :D

But ... I'm beginning to get a little jaded. Script extraction is-not-the-same-as script insertion.

The PCE Xanadu games are an extreme (and hopefully rare) example of that.

I really hope that the guys that are working on this can get over that hurdle ... I would absolutely love to see this happen.  :)

Now ... since you're posting ... can you give us an update on about Team Innocent? Have you and EsperKnight had time to look at it again?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 01:56:54 AM »
Since this thread is about the Super Famicom Zenki game (and doesn't really belong here), I assume filler was translating that game and not the PC-FX game.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

elmer

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 03:23:36 AM »
Since this thread is about the Super Famicom Zenki game (and doesn't really belong here), I assume filler was translating that game and not the PC-FX game.

Doh, silly me!  #-o  :oops:

filler

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »
Yes, the SFC game, not the PC-FX one sadly. Unfortunately, no, I haven't messed around with TI any more. I have a bad habit of just continuing to translate since that's what I enjoy the most, and not taking the time to playtest and edit things. Zenki was an exception since I simply watched a YouTube walkthrough and cleaned up the script a bit. At any rate, keep an eye on Dynamic Designs site for that one. In the mean time I'll try to kick myself in the butt and get TI the testing it needs. I really appreciate the work you put in (and everyone else who's worked on that project) and I fully plan to have it out this year.

Good news, if you want to call it that, I've been translating Ah!/Oh My Goddess again and that script is starting to come along nicely.

elmer

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 03:47:56 AM »
In the mean time I'll try to kick myself in the butt and get TI the testing it needs. I really appreciate the work you put in (and everyone else who's worked on that project) and I fully plan to have it out this year.

Excellent, it will be great to actually be able to understand the game!

Good news, if you want to call it that, I've been translating Ah!/Oh My Goddess again and that script is starting to come along nicely.

Definitely good news!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:49:47 AM by elmer »

SegaSonic91

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 08:50:26 AM »
I always wished that Hudson had made a Zenki beat em up for the Saturn.  I imagined that it would be very similar to Banpresto's awesome Sailor Moon arcade game.  I actually thought the PC-FX game was a beat em up, rather than a generic platformer.  I do not like playing games I do not own but will download and test some games, usually overpriced ones, to see if I want to spend the money.  I kind of recall trying Zenki when I got my PC-FX in 2004, but I was not at all impressed with it and doubt I will ever spend 35,000yen+ on it.  I only played it for a few minutes though.

filler

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 09:33:43 PM »
FYI: The patch for this game is now available. http://www.dynamic-designs.us/