Author Topic: Any progress made (or even started) on a PC-FX RGB mod?  (Read 3148 times)

NightWolve

Re: Any progress made (or even started) on a PC-FX RGB mod?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 05:27:56 PM »
and then proceeds to not even play the stuff because it's all digital comics.  lol

Heh. Yeah, there's not much for most of us to ever care about... Just one shooter that is now fan-translated and that Miraculuum RPG (if playing them in Japanese is your thing)... :/

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 10:21:40 PM »
and then proceeds to not even play the stuff because it's all digital comics.  lol

Heh. Yeah, there's not much for most of us to ever care about... Just one shooter that is now fan-translated and that Miraculuum RPG (if playing them in Japanese is your thing)... :/

I'm all about Yuna and Boundary Gate.

and TEAM INNOCENT

AKA:  lolololopenthedoorandgetkilled.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

incrediblehark

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
It's not worth the idiotic amount of trouble it'd take.

I use PC-FX + SVIDEO through an upscaler and it looks f*ckin' good.

There's literally no reason to bother unless you just want to be one of those gimps with a PVM with bad geometry that posts pics on Facebook going OMFG

R
G
B

huhuuuuuuu

PC-FX outputs S-Video, and it looks good.   

I don't see any reason to bother with anything else.  Just buy a 10$ SVideo/Stereo Audio combo cable from gaydio shack, and never look back.

Your S-Video looks a lot better than mine, I probably need to adjust some settings on my monitor to get it closer to what the rgb input looks like.

Gypsy

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 12:54:25 AM »
I am happy with PC-FX as is tbh.

The display and the quality of the cable matter. Plus like Zeta said, there is hardware to help composite and Y/C. Yes even SD sets there is stuff put out by Extron and Kramer. Like many other electronics I have, those have the benefit of being dirt cheap, because interest level in such things is relatively low.

Maybe Zeta can direct you to what he was referring to.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 06:38:15 PM »
At the time I wrote that I was really into the Leitech DPS275 which was originally mainly designed to be a time base corrector and drop out compensator but now that it's dropped %90 in price it's a great thing for fans of SD video (especially LD) to clean shit up. It almost completely eliminates noise and it allows you to adjust the video quite a bit.

I'm not sure how much lag it introduces. I'm going to say somewhere around a frame and a half or so. I mainly used it for video. Mine actually croaked recently so...I think it may need a recap or something.

As for the Y/C vs component video, I'm with Arkham. On a game system there should be no obvious difference between them. Y/C's color information suffers but...on something as color-poor as a 16-bit game system...it really shouldn't matter. I'm currently running my CMVS in Y/C just because it's a much lighter cable to deal with and I can't see the difference on my pro monitor or my Toshiba TV. With the FX not even being RGB native in the first place it's safe to say that it's never going to look better than it does, excepting minor tweaks to the circuit, cap value changes and whatever.

On a DVD player, that's another matter.

IMO most people have biased opinions about video signal formats based on the performance of individual systems. I'm pretty sure the Genesis's rep for being "brown" is at least %25 due to its terrible composite out. Some systems have very good composite outs. Of the Classic era the SNES comes to mind (also looks rad in Y/C) and the PCE was decent. Half of the improvement you get by "going all RGB" you could see in composite if you improved the composite signal. I s-video modded my Genesis and when I did I never the signal was Night and Day better, even from the same chip for some reason...it stands to reason that an aftermarket NTSC encoder could make a MUCH better composite signal from the RGB out than the Genesis normal does internally.

These are observations based on early Genesis 1 machines with "the good sound".

Gypsy

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 12:20:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

One thing about using this is it requires more effort than just plugging in w/e cables one is using for RGB into their PVM or w/e. So that right there will have most people lean towards that option.

You piqued my curiosity though. There is a very reasonably priced 235 up for sale right now. There is a 275 but it's some a$$hole with $65 shipping (not to mention the much higher item cost) and blurry pictures so I can't even see what's different with the buttons.

Something like this seems like a good option for VHS and LD.

Edit: Seeing some 575s cheaper than that 275, ha.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:47:35 AM by Gypsy »