Author Topic: Your top 5  (Read 851 times)

poponon

Re: Your top 5
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 05:29:42 AM »
Solider Blade

possibly best shooter of it's era. top quality graphics, amazing catchy and memorable soundtrack that perfectly suits the game, perfect challenge level. Was exhilarating to 1cc this game.

Dracula X

I haven't been able to get into any castlevania game previous to this. gameplay is tight with interesting bossfights and level design, art is some of the best of any game. when you play this it just feels special.

Legendary Axe

Combination of aesthetic, theme, and music create a very unique and pleasing AV experience. Gameplay is perfectly tight and rewarding-ly challenging. Another unique and special experience.

Gekisha/Photo Boy

Another awesome unique/special experience with tight gameplay and a very pleasing aesthetic style. Nothing really compares - it's the best at what it does. Loads of fun taking turns with friends.

Can't decide on a 5th - runners up: Magical Chase, Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, Bazaru de Gozaru

benlefou

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 08:28:12 AM »
Awesome picks so far! Not as many of the obvious choices as I thought!

As I'm still quite new to the system I'm still in the process of playing my small library of games (about 50) but I would definitely include 2 games on my list:

Super Star Soldier: As much as Soldier Blade is such a masterpiece I have a massive soft spot for SSS, it's easily the PCE game I have put most hours into and it got me hooked on shooters! It was my first game for the system and its totally badass, everything is spot on and I come back to it time and time again. I did aquire Soldier Blade a few months ago and also loved it, a very polished and perfect example of the Shooter, one for the ages but SSS just tops it for me!

Image Fight: This is another game I just couldn't stop playing, it's such an engaging experience and just hooked me from the moment I flipped the ON switch on my Supergrafx! I'd heard of its reputation for being tough which initially put me off buying it due to me being a STG noob, but I found it a very fair challenge and really felt like I had kicked ass by the time I finished it! It's sequal is also amazing and actually not as hard as people make out!

A PC Engine blog.

benlefou

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 08:36:20 AM »
Legendary Axe

As much as I have tried to like this game I just can't. I know a lot of people have nostalgia for it which I don't so maybe that's why. It is a good game but I got frustrated with it, I much prefer the 2nd game, love the asthetics and atmosphere. Maybe I will go back to the original and put more time into it!

A PC Engine blog.

esteban

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 08:52:28 PM »
Legendary Axe

As much as I have tried to like this game I just can't. I know a lot of people have nostalgia for it which I don't so maybe that's why. It is a good game but I got frustrated with it, I much prefer the 2nd game, love the asthetics and atmosphere. Maybe I will go back to the original and put more time into it!

While Legendary Axe II is, indeed, a fantastic game, you really should give Legendary Axe another chance—it is a truly marvelous game (flaws and all).
  |    | 

poponon

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 02:29:20 AM »
Legendary Axe

Legendary axe 2 was good but it really doesn't compare to the first for me. The gameplay and level design didn't seem as polished or interesting or challenging. The aesthetic was pretty cool but I prefer that of legendary axe 1. the control and gameplay just feels perfect imo. And I definitely have a sweet spot for the artsyle - the aesthetic , theme, and music really create a pretty unique experience. Like  a dark prehistoric fantasy. (prehistoric fantasy is one of my favorite if not most favorite theme)

MNKyDeth

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 03:14:23 AM »
1: Dungeon Explorer 2

Death to Natas ... HAIL NATAS!!

2: Neutopia 2

Absolutely love this style of game. Neutopia 2 is bigger brighter and better, newer features compared to the first.

3: Gate of Thunder

My favorite side scrolling shooter

4: Super Star Soldier

I know, it's not Soldier Blade, but dang, I for some reason like this one more.

5: Cosmic Fantasy 2

I know, I know, wtf right? I rather enjoy these types of old school RPG's and I really liked the story of this game. However, between the entire Y's series from 1-4 is available to us and how great it is, I still dream of having the rest of the Cosmic Fantasy series translated as well.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 03:43:52 AM »
In no particular order: Magicoal, Basted, Hatris, Steam Hearts, and Bazzy.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

exodus

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »
no order here

HU:
Cross Wiber
Bonk's Revenge
Ninja Spirit
Military Madness
Soldier Blade

CD:
Valis III
Gate of Thunder
Exile
Ys I&II
Ryaxanber III

ugh, this is difficult, I want to put Anesan in there somewhere
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:39:30 PM by exodus »

KingDrool

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »
Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Parasol Stars

Shit...five is really difficult. You can swap any one of those with Dragon's Curse, Bomberman, Rondo of Blood, Ys, Dungeon Explorer, Bloody Wolf, Soldier Blade, Blazing Lazers, Super Star Soldier, New Adventure Island...and probably a dozen others that I'm forgetting.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

EmperorIng

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »
I find it a shame that poponon wasn't able to get into the CV games prior to Rondo. I hope he has at least given the X68000/Chronicles CV a whirl; for what it's worth, I believe it's the best "Classicvania" in the entire series, and magnifies Rondo's strengths 10-fold (being years earlier than Rondo).

CD:

Gradius II

-Top-form Konami, arguably improving upon the arcade original with some technical tweaks, changing hitboxes, enemy patterns/behaviors, and so on, while leaving the core excellence of Gradius intact.

Castlevania Chi no Rondo

-Despite the above, this is still an excellent CV game, even if a few of its rooms feel a bit padded (fight the same large enemy multiple times in a room). Still, this is Konami's CV abilities at their prime, and cannot be ignored.

Popful Mail
Ys Book I&II

-two Falcom RPGs heavy on the dungeon-crawling, bright and colorful, to lots of creativity to boot. Ys is about perfect, presentation-wise, though its progression sometimes suffers from "hug the walls until you find that hidden passageway for game-progressing item." Popful Mail is pure pleasantness.

Image Fight II

-Irem improved upon the HuCard predecessor in every conceivable way, sans perhaps the memorable punch of the first. The bosses are more aggressive, especially on the hellish hard mode. Most importantly, the hitbox, which was achingly huge in the PCE port (larger than the arcade version, which made balancing the game to the AC impossible; proof: they cut out the entire second loop). This is a console-minded shooter with all of the Irem toughness without the unfairness that sometimes plagues tough PCE shooters (looking at you, the still-excellent Rayxanber II). This game is though not anywhere near as hard as some reviews make it out to be. The reduced hitbox alone makes it a solid cruise for at least 3 levels.

Though that last one can be a toss-up with Valis (if I am in the right mood to consider Valis the best of the best), or Dungeon Explorer II (I need to spend more time with this one). I bet if I understood Japanese, I would feel more fond towards perennial favorites like the Xanadu games (couldn't get in to either of them, even with FAQs; cheers to the translation boys, I'm rooting for you!!!), Emerald Dragon, and the Eden games. And weird outliers like Neo metal Fantasy (which I don't think is anyone's favorite game...?).

Not Favorite at All:
-Anything made by Right Stuff; what a waste of printed CDs they oversaw
-A Telenet game not named Valis or XZR; an arguably bigger waste of printed CDs - not to mention a near infinite number of games across other systems.* Overwhelmingly so, popping in a Telenet/Riot CD is a crash course in the eternal question: What the hell were they thinking? Were they thinking?

In no particular order: Magicoal, Basted, Hatris, Steam Hearts, and Bazzy.

Very strange choices, though Magicoal is a fairly good game (thus far; I haven't beaten it yet). What's there to like about Basted, other than its sweet-looking cinemas? Just curious. Steam Hearts, once you take away the hentai, is just a bizarrely-constructed game.

*sans Wolf Team's output: Granada and El Viento, compared to the usual Telenet fare, are heroic achievements
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:15:37 PM by EmperorIng »

exodus

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »
ah man, I love most telenet games even if they're kind of garbagey.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 03:44:35 AM »
Very strange choices...

Not when you view them in the context of this being the umpteenth thread asking for everyone's favorites.  I could parrot the typical best-of list and say Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, Ys, Beyond Shadowgate, Dungeon Explorer 2, Legend of Xanadu, Bonk, etc., but what's the point?  Other's will mention 'em anyway, and people need to branch out and try something different, even if it's not an flawless A+ title.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

EmperorIng

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2016, 03:55:45 AM »
Lol, read you loud and clear. As long as it's not Right Stuff. They were best used to be farmed out to make custscenes for superior games.

exodus

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 08:42:53 AM »
more like wrong stufffffffffffffffff

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 09:10:28 AM »
I'll go "Favorite games when owned the system" rather than roms i've discovered years later that i knew nothing about as a TG16 owner

1. Ys 1 and 2 - most fun i've had playing an RPG
2. JB Harold Murder Club - it was just really well done and fun
3. Blazing Lazers - such killer music
4. Moto Roader - 5 player action, which friends and I did alot of, was a blast. The upgrading was great.
5. Final Lap Twin - a racing RPG - awesome!

"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg