Author Topic: Unreleased Tengen PC Engine games.  (Read 4328 times)

elmer

Re: Unreleased Tengen PC Engine games.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »
Cool find ... these are interesting prototypes.  :D

ccovell

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
And expertly made.  Marble Madness especially looks impressive.

Digi.k

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 02:07:43 PM »
pce

arcade

pce

arcade

dshadoff

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 02:13:15 PM »
I had heard of all of these (except Popils), but was under the impression that they were all abandoned long before reaching this level of completeness.

If they were afraid of low profit margins on HuCards, I'm surprised that they didn't try to sell them as CDROMs (or Super CDROMs), as several games in the 1992 era were basically HuCard games released on CD.

Back in the day, I heard of "a friend of a friend" who owned a copy, but wouldn't even allow it to be seen (in action, or the proto-board), let alone sold/copied/whatever.  It's very nice to see them on YouTube pages, to understand how complete they were, and how playable they were.

-Dave

Dicer

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 02:23:33 PM »
So, when we getting dumps? cause that would be amazing, they are all solid looking work...

Digi.k

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 02:35:54 PM »
Magical Puzzle Popils also seems very interesting.  Kinda surprising why they were all cancelled considering this looks like it was for the japanese market  and I'm pretty sure the pc engine market was strong in that period.  The game designer appears to be Fukio Mitsuji who also created and designed the Bubble Bobble games.  Looks like only the Game Gear houses the completed version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukio_Mitsuji

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 02:52:58 PM »
I'm pretty impressed by the Marble Madness port. Thank god the music in level 3 didn't sound like the Genesis version. I was seriously ready to get my earplugs on. lol

HailingTheThings

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »
Wowzers, y'all! Peter Pack Rat and shet?!

esteban

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
WHERE IS PARANOIA_DRAGON?

He's been mentioning Peter F@cking Pack Rat for ages (he's the reason I knew Tengen was working on a port).

|    | 

shubibiman

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 06:41:52 PM »
All those ports where announced in japanese magazines (and for some of them even in french magazines) back in the time. It's nothing new really. But I definitely didn't think they all were at this point of completeness. Very impressive.

I hope the guy dumps them or even better, completes them in order to release them. He should do a kickstarter.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »
I'm here I'm here!!! Man, it's been forever since I saw anything about Peter Packrat, don't even recall where I saw stuffs about it.  It's usually Riftwar Saga that I lament not seeing a release, but I would've loved these, especially Marble Madness even though I suck at that game.  Me wonders if Jun has an incomplete Pit Fighter (CD or Hu) laying around as well(even though the game itself is crud).

Punch

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 07:46:12 PM »
LOL I was going to mention Pit Fighter, Esteban I don't think we're going to see Pit Fighter CD too soon lol.

esteban

Unreleased Tengen PC Engine games.
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
All those ports where announced in japanese magazines (and for some of them even in french magazines) back in the time. It's nothing new really. But I definitely didn't think they all were at this point of completeness. Very impressive.

I hope the guy dumps them or even better, completes them in order to release them. He should do a kickstarter.

Here is one....

PCE MARBLE MADNESS: I found an old advertisement... did PCE Marble Madness support the PCE MOUSE! This intrigues me...

http://archives.tg-16.com/GEKKAN/1992-12/page_0003.jpg

-----

SOURCE: Gekkan PC Engine #12 (December 1992)

UPDATE: here is a side-by-side comparison between Jun Amanai's video and the screenshot from Gekkan PCE:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:55:40 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

ginoscope

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 03:41:45 AM »
I love seeing information like this about unreleased games.  I wonder how far along some of them actually were.  Marble Madness looks like a really good port.  Never heard of the Packrat game but that looks pretty interesting.  It kind of reminded me of Mappy Land on the NES.

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 09:06:09 AM »
Popils is actually a great game. Very addicting with a level builder that was lots of fun. Most of these games were far along, I believe Popils hadn't gotten the level creator and some other minor things.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!