Author Topic: TGS06: PS3 to get TurboGrafx games  (Read 1386 times)

Odonadon

TGS06: PS3 to get TurboGrafx games
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 05:52:59 PM »
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"

I'm still skeptical about the Wii playing Turbo CDs. Would be awesome of course, but it doesn't make any business sense. I think Nintendo/Hudson would rather sell you a game again than let you play what you already have.

Bingo - that's why this will be implimented via download.  A bin/cue/mp3 of your favorite game (as an example), with slightly reduced mp3 quality, could easily be downloaded in a 60Mb file.  Especially with the Wii's overnight download ability.

I think Nintendo/Hudson will be selling the service, not the games.  I see it working something like the way satellite TV subscriptions do.  Get your Nintendo and NEC subscription, but don't subscribe to Sega (for example).  A price of... oh say $30 a year per subscription should be plenty reasonable.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

GUTS

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 08:01:53 PM »
I don't get why you guys are excited, don't you already all own Duos?

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 09:42:57 PM »
Of course, but now look up all the old threads of peoples Duo's and whatnots not working :) . Hardware updates are nice to have in the community.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 01:54:24 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
I don't get why you guys are excited, don't you already all own Duos?

Quote from: "Keranu"
Of course, but now look up all the old threads of peoples Duo's and whatnots not working  . Hardware updates are nice to have in the community.
Indeed. Furthermore, it's exciting that TG-16 is going to be exposed to, potentially, so many new people. I can't think of too many occasions when TG-16 was given a chance to be reincarnated commercially (especially 13 years after it died a quiet death).

Sure, TG-16 was reincarnated with the DUO, but it has always been my understanding that the TG-16 had a much larger user-base than the DUO...

Sure, emulation has probably played a huge role in popularizing TG-16 over the last few years...

But the Wii, PS3 and XBOX360 are going to reach the mainstream gamers who might not otherwise bother emulating Blazing Lazers on their PC's (if they have a PC).

--------------
That said, of course I have a critique of the business model companies will be using to make money via emulation:

http://www.hudsonent.com/viewtopic.php?t=52&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=12

--------------
Personally, I'm more intrigued by the novelty of TG-16/PCE games being available to folks, many of whom will be scratching their heads and asking, "Why did they bother?" In the following post, I speculate on the marketing strategies Hudson might use to hype the TG-16 Virtual Console:

http://www.hudsonent.com/viewtopic.php?t=52&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=3

---------------
Final thought:

I was silly and spent $5 just to play around with Military Madness on my cell phone. I paid for the novelty -- just to see what it was like. I imagine I'll do the same thing with Wii, PS3, Xbox360 commerical emulation as well. I'm curious to see how the emulation will be, what games will be available, whether or not TG-16 games will be featured prominently or buried underneath the other offerings, etc.

So, despite my better judgement, these companies will make at least a few dollars off of me.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 09:53:51 AM »
Preach on brother, Steve!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 03:40:03 PM »
Capcom and Taito give us over 20 games on a $20 disc, but Nintendo thinks they can charge $5-$10 for f*cking ROMS?  That's why this whole virtual console nonsense is blowing me away, what sane person would think that $5 for a single old f*cking rom is anywhere NEAR reasonable?  I hope all the soccer moms discover the wonder of the internet and free roms so that Nintendo's virtual console sheisterism folds.

Odonadon

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 04:09:23 PM »
Capcom and Taito give us over 20 games on a $20 disc, but Nintendo thinks they can charge $5-$10 for f*cking ROMS?  That's why this whole virtual console nonsense is blowing me away, what sane person would think that $5 for a single old f*cking rom is anywhere NEAR reasonable?  I hope all the soccer moms discover the wonder of the internet and free roms so that Nintendo's virtual console sheisterism folds.

Nobody, I hope.  I wouldn't pay that.  A pay per game schema just won't work.  I don't see it working any other way than signing up for a service that provides these games for download.  Pretty much the way XBox Live Arcade works.

OD

Keranu

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 04:40:47 PM »
...what sane person would think that $5 for a single old f*cking rom is anywhere NEAR reasonable?

College kids.

PC Gaijin

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 05:21:56 PM »
Nobody, I hope.  I wouldn't pay that.  A pay per game schema just won't work.  I don't see it working any other way than signing up for a service that provides these games for download.  Pretty much the way XBox Live Arcade works.

OD

But...that's not the way XBLA works. :) Demos can be downloaded for free, but XBLA is pay-per-game.

Anyway, I'm sure Nintendo will be highly successful with this service. Plenty of people paid $20 for the NES Classics series on GBA.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2006, 06:10:21 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
NEC's prices were reasonable, just not the TGCD add-on and Turbo Express when they first came out, but they dropped down in price a lot from just over a year. I believe the CD add-on went from $500 to $150. If anyone's to be blamed for high prices, it should be SNK and 3DO!

Well, you're thinking of price reductions in a failing market. The PS3 isn't in that predicament (yet). Eventually we all know there wil be a $130 PS3, but for now the price is going to be high. The original PCE Duo was well over $500 when it debuted in Japan, much cheaper than buying the PCE+CDROM2 and Super System Card, and that was 15 years of inflation ago. The LT was about $800-900 and that was a HuCard-only system.

I can't remember the exact prices, but they were very very high. I think the Duo was 58000 yen with no games. The US models cost substantially less, and came with a truckload of software.

Odonadon

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 08:09:20 AM »
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"

OD

But...that's not the way XBLA works. :) Demos can be downloaded for free, but XBLA is pay-per-game.

Is it that obvious I've never used XBLA? :)  That's rediculous that they charge you per game, unless we're talking $1 or $2 each.  I see the subscriptions working the way Satellite Radio works.

OD

esteban

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 09:11:22 AM »
Oh, I agree :). That's why the novelty of the "Virtual Console" will wear thin after I spend more than $20 on it.

I've said this before, but I think that folks who purchase current- / next- gen software should get tons of free "Virtual Games" (or credits) as a bonus.

I think it is a good way to promote software sales, since publishers don't really "lose money" by giving away ROM(s). In other words, publishers can be generous!

I wish publishers viewed XBoxLive, Virtual Console and their ilk as a means of distributing extra goodies instead of a vital revenue stream with paid content.

Also, it's not like we, the consumers, actually own the ROM(s) in question, since they are dependent upon the hardware / subscription service. Paying $5 for the right to legally use a ROM on *all* hardware formats would be pretty kool, but that is not the business model being offered.
  |    | 

guyjin

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 03:17:30 PM »
Actually, there IS a way for Hudson (and others) to make money off of the Wii running CDroms without downloading them - they can now release 'limited special edition' CDs - compatible with the original PCE as well as the wii - and actually sell some.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

KingDrool

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 02:22:37 PM »
That'll never happen...

But anyway, I look at this as great news.  Any way the legacy of Turbo consoles can be spread is fine by me.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

grahf

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 04:12:08 PM »
Just a little insight of mine on the whole virtual console thing:
Ive got 4 coworkers who all love classic games. Not a single one of them has a snowballs chance in hell of downloading an emulator and rom. Matter of fact, I dont think any of them even know what a rom is.  These are your typical computer users. The kind that only go on myspace, espn fantasy football, and instant message. They also all own current gen consoles.  I can 10000% see nintendo making a fortune off of their virtual console, and I see why microsoft and now sony are trying to get in on the action.

All of us forum going type people are familiar with roms, but we are a small majority. When joe gamer first sees the download services hes gonna go "Wow, mario? sonic? bonk? awesome! $$$"