Author Topic: TGS06: PS3 to get TurboGrafx games  (Read 1388 times)

Pcenginefx

TGS06: PS3 to get TurboGrafx games
« on: September 22, 2006, 08:02:22 AM »
At the TGS06 Sony keynote, Ken Kutaragi has said that the PS3 will have downloadable PCE/Turbo games, similar to the Wii.

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/09/21/tgs-sony-conference-live-blogging/

Does that mean I have to make another forum? :P
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Keranu

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 09:03:21 AM »
Oh my god. Now there have been plenty of jokes about Sony stealing ideas from Nintendo and Microsoft this year and they are pretty funny and a little true, but letting you download TG16 and Genesis games is really playing copy cat! There's nothing wrong with that of course, more exposure to our beloved system :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

sunteam_paul

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 10:01:52 AM »
If the PS3 could play existing PCE CDs then it would REALLY have the advantage.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Pcenginefx

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 10:49:26 AM »
Why would it have the advantage?  It is already known that the Wii can play at least CD-ROM2 system games, and I fully expect Super CD support sometime in the future....
//Aaron

sunteam_paul

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 11:01:22 AM »
Quote from: "Pcenginefx"
Why would it have the advantage?  It is already known that the Wii can play at least CD-ROM2 system games, and I fully expect Super CD support sometime in the future....

Can it actually play the native Engine CDs? In the latest reports it seems to be suggesting that it cant and it's download only (albeit downloading CD images). Great news if it can.
I just felt in a hole!

Pcenginefx

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 11:11:41 AM »
Yes, at least Hudson of Japan has confirmed in an old press release that the Japanese Wii can play native PCE CD-ROM2 games (CD games won't be downloadable....yet).  However we should know fairly soon the full details of Hudson's additions to the Wii in the US.
//Aaron

PC Gaijin

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 05:40:28 PM »
Allowing people to play original CDs sounds a little bizarre from a business point of view. I mean they make no money by allowing you to do that.

And while this does reek of Sony copying Virtual Console...remember that Sega had a PC Engine/MegaDrive download service for the Dreamcast. :)

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 06:11:15 PM »
Whoa, I didn't know it was announced that Wii could play native PCE CD games, I always just thought that was a rumor. That's excellent!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

sunteam_paul

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 10:21:08 PM »
Wow, this is the best news ever! Now I won't have to worry about fixing my Duo :P
I just felt in a hole!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 02:03:16 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Whoa, I didn't know it was announced that Wii could play native PCE CD games, I always just thought that was a rumor. That's excellent!

I wouldn't count on it. I sure would use this feature if the Wii had it though. Componenet video for PCE Engine games...so nice.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 02:04:11 AM »
I'm starting to think that the only original thing about the PS3 is the insanely high price...

...no wait, NEC did that ages ago.

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 08:45:33 AM »
NEC's prices were reasonable, just not the TGCD add-on and Turbo Express when they first came out, but they dropped down in price a lot from just over a year. I believe the CD add-on went from $500 to $150. If anyone's to be blamed for high prices, it should be SNK and 3DO!

esteban

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 12:31:06 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
NEC's prices were reasonable, just not the TGCD add-on and Turbo Express when they first came out, but they dropped down in price a lot from just over a year. I believe the CD add-on went from $500 to $150. If anyone's to be blamed for high prices, it should be SNK and 3DO!
TG-CD went from $400 at launch to $150 just prior to the launch of the DUO in North America.... but there were price drops between 1990 - 1992, of course.

I think TG-16 went from $190 to $70 over the same period, but my memory is foggier on this point.
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 12:32:54 PM »
Quote from: "Pcenginefx"
Yes, at least Hudson of Japan has confirmed in an old press release that the Japanese Wii can play native PCE CD-ROM2 games (CD games won't be downloadable....yet).  However we should know fairly soon the full details of Hudson's additions to the Wii in the US.
That is TOO AWESOME. This changes my opinion of the Wii tremendously. Even if it only plays CD-ROM2 games at launch, I'll have a blast with the Wii.
  |    | 

PC Gaijin

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 02:17:52 PM »
The Turbo-CD had a price drop from $400 to $350, first via a coupon rebate and then a new MSRP. Then the price dropped to $300. I'm not sure if there were any price drops between that point and the $150 drop right before the Duo. And I'm pretty sure the Turbo itself debuted around $200. I'd have to dig around for the receipt, but I remember the price being just under $200 at Wal-Mart when I bought mine (and Wal-Mart didn't really jack up prices any). The Genesis was the one that was $189-$190. The Turbo went $200 -> $150-160 (Bonk set) -> $130 (still Bonk set) -> $100 -> $70. The way the prices worked out you could essentially buy the the equivelent of the Duo (Turbo, CD, System Card 3.0 and games) separately for about the same price as the  Duo.

I'm still skeptical about the Wii playing Turbo CDs. Would be awesome of course, but it doesn't make any business sense. I think Nintendo/Hudson would rather sell you a game again than let you play what you already have.