Author Topic: Virtual console region lock depression  (Read 576 times)

cheezio

Virtual console region lock depression
« on: September 24, 2006, 03:20:21 AM »
hmm - I had a look at the Wii websites.

JAPAN:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/features/virtual_console.html

Europe:
http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/wii/?site=w_virtual_console.html&l=enGB

Japan gets NES / PC Engine / SNES / Megadrive / N64 / MSX games, but Europe doesn’t appear to get the PC Engine or MSX games.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( - depressing

rolins

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:45:24 PM »
Dammit, if europe doesn't get MSX games then that means united states won't either.    :x

cheezio

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 09:06:55 PM »
i just wonder how they region lock content on the wii download games...

If its by the console, then fine, just need to buy a JAP machine.

but if its by credit card location (where its registered), or even IP location, then its gonna be a pain :(

FM-77

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 10:55:47 AM »
I highly doubt it will be possible to get around this just by importing a console. That's just way too easy.

However, I say HOWEVER - what if a Japanese dude decide to move to Europe with his Wii? He'll have Japanese games on it - in EUROPE... but he won't be able to get any additional Japanese games! AAAH!  :o This means... m-mixed games! Japanese AND European games!  ON THE SAME CONSOLE!! :shock:

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 11:45:33 AM »
Insane!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 07:07:28 PM »
All I can figure, is that each region will get whatever it's going to get, & we can only hope, that we will eventually get what we TRULY want!

Dark Fact

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 03:58:14 PM »
Region locking? Laughable! You know sooner or later some pencil neck gamer is going to find a way around it!

Quote from: "Paranoia Dragon"
All I can figure, is that each region will get whatever it's going to get, & we can only hope, that we will eventually get what we TRULY want!

You mean more games that were released in japan but unfairly never over here? Possible but there needs to be some serious "pulling-your-head-outta-your-ass" action between the developers on both sides of the Pacific for that to happen.  Konami, I'm looking in your general direction! :shock:

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 06:07:56 PM »
Excatly.

akamichi

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 04:03:17 AM »
Has it been confirmed that the VC games are also region locked?  I haven't seen anything that says either way.  Then again, the fact that there are different games available in different territories probably means that it is.

How would Nintendo enforce regions anyway?  I suppose it could be like iTunes where you need a CC or point card, etc from the specific country to buy.  If that's the case, then it'll probably be easy to buy a point card from an import dealer.

Hopefully people will be able to buy from any region w/o needing some kind of modchip/hardware mod.

extrarice

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 04:25:07 AM »
Quote from: "akamichi"
Has it been confirmed that the VC games are also region locked?  I haven't seen anything that says either way.  Then again, the fact that there are different games available in different territories probably means that it is.

How would Nintendo enforce regions anyway?  I suppose it could be like iTunes where you need a CC or point card, etc from the specific country to buy.  If that's the case, then it'll probably be easy to buy a point card from an import dealer.

Hopefully people will be able to buy from any region w/o needing some kind of modchip/hardware mod.

I don't think it would be by CC unless Nintendo requires a CC on file to even browse the VC "store". If they don't require that, then it would be either a flag on the hardware or based on an IP trace (which would be trivial to get around and therefore useless).

Black Tiger

Re: Virtual console region lock depression
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 12:33:04 PM »
I wonder if any Japanese international sellers(like on eBay) will start selling JP Wii's fully loaded with every VC title available at the time of the sale?

I know I'd buy one once a year or so if everything remains Japan exclusive.

The same as I'd gadly buy a Dreamcast VMU loaded with PC Genjin 2 if some saavy Japanese seller somehow found a way to keep the game from self-destructing.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 09:02:29 AM »
I just read on 1up.com today that for the time being, you can use a japanese Wii in North America to buy japanese VC games.

Maybe I'll end up buying an import system before the domestic one. If the prices are reasonable by the time I get around to buying one.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

FM-77

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 07:20:48 AM »
Newssssss: European VC games will be played in 50Hz and there will be no 60Hz options.