Author Topic: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin  (Read 412 times)

AlexKidd

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
« on: September 26, 2006, 10:50:22 PM »
I've been looking around for information on this game and I can't find too much. I know it's supposed to come out on 12/5. I havn't read too much about it and I'm not sure if it's going to be a SotN style Castlevania or an old style one without all the leveling up and metroid elements. I'll be buying it no matter what but i'd really like an old school action/platform Castlevania. I love SotN as much as the next guy but we're on maybe the 6th or 7th castlevania like this. A little variety wouldn't hurt.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:05:32 PM »
Not sure why nobody else replied, but, here I am.  It is a Castleroid, like all the other 2D CV's before it starting with SotN.  Frankly, I can't get enough of Metroidvania games, including the recent Mega Man ZX!

GUTS

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 01:20:58 PM »
As good as Dawn of Sorrow was, I'd rather have a new old school style Castlevania instead of another Super Metroid.  They need some variety, people are going to burn out on this shit and then nobody is going to like Castlevania anymore.

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 03:38:28 PM »
Agreed.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 05:33:55 PM »
I still say I can't get enough of Metroidvania games, I love them!  And since the future of Metroid is bleek, & say bring em' on!

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 06:15:59 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Agreed.

dito!!

alltough yo can play with richter in the classic style in a 2nd round, like to see an other/new chi no rondo on the DS :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

FM-77

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:50:27 AM »
I used to like Castlevania.

However, after Konami released Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow (and Curse of Darkness), I can honestly say that I f****** hate Castlevania!

TR0N

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »
I'm interested in it but i still don't have a DS  :oops:

Dunno at this point castlevania dungeon has a review of it.

http://castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/Games/por.html

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 08:14:01 AM »
Quote from: "Seldane"
I used to like Castlevania.

However, after Konami released Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow (and Curse of Darkness), I can honestly say that I f****** hate Castlevania!

Wow! Retroactive hate.  :shock:

Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"
I still say I can't get enough of Metroidvania games, I love them!  And since the future of Metroid is bleek, & say bring em' on!

I love these kinds of games as well, but have enjoyed them less each time since Circle Of The Moon (the best Metroid'y Castlevania in my opinion) and quit shortly into the 1st DS game.

It'd be nice to at least get a Dracula X kind of traditional Castlevania(I hate that name).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

cavein2000

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 04:43:03 PM »
Don't know too much about the new game.  I read the short GI review of it a couple mags ago.  Sounded cool?  I've got a ton of the GBA/DS castlevania and Metroid titles in hand, but haven't got sick of them yet(currently at the end of COTM).  There are so many titles to play through traditional and post SOTN style - my reccomendation is if you are looking for a newer traditional style game, just run through an old title for now :wink:
What a horrible night to have a curse...

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 03:55:07 PM »
Don't let Seldane fool you, you should check out his thread over at the Ancient Land of Ys boards, where he's talking about how he can't get enough of these types of games :D

Oh, & my personal favorite Castlevania is Dawn of Sorrow, I just ate that game up, & ended up zooming thru Julius' mode as well!  Here are the games, from best to worst IMHO :D
DoS
HoD
AoS
SotN
CotM

LoD & CoD I haven't really decided on.  I'm almost done with LoD, & have played a little of CoD.  It seems like CoD is more in the right direction for a 3D CV, but, I'm a 2D person so, like with Metroid, for the love of Pete, keep it in 2D!  Still hoping something will happen with Metroid Dread, or a remake of Metroid 2.