Author Topic: Board game pickups/Recently played?  (Read 430 times)

780racer

Board game pickups/Recently played?
« on: December 15, 2016, 06:45:41 PM »
Figured since I recently got some games I had been wanting for a few years now, and with the new one launching, I pulled the trigger on the DOOM board games.

Tomorrow is my last day at my job as I am getting laid off and the site is closing permanently, so my co-workers and I will be playing the new DOOM game tomorrow, and Ill report back how it is, but I highly suspect as I read the rules now, that it will be a lot of fun.

Anybody else into board games? Maybe we could get a weekly/monthly Tabletop simulator group going and play Board games, and skype/discord/ect and BS about turbob/ect gaming related things.

~Ryan
Switchzx's amazing quote -
"I was starting with the hardest to get games first. I realized I was never going to get Magical Chase so gave up on it all, sold up and got out."

Blueraven's quote - "it begins."

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/695/show-collection.html

Gypsy

Re: Board game pickups/Recently played?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:39:33 PM »
I used to play Axis & Allies and some others I'm forgetting. People got old and moved away though. I've heard Catan is good stuff, but I haven't tried it.

Flare65

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:46:24 AM »
Sorry to hear that your getting laid off.  :( 

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 08:39:36 AM »
I love board games. Talisman is a favorite of a neighbor and I.

I bought Zombicide and Betrayal at the House on the Hill last year. Have yet to play them though.

I hate learning all the new rules from scratch, and teaching new players. I like giving the rules to a friend, let them learn it, then guide me lol.

I also like the newer D&D boardgames. I have Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon. Both are great fun. Streamlined rules, and not much of a time commitment.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:42:19 AM by Zero_Gamer »

Gypsy

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 08:47:16 AM »
I also like the newer D&D boardgames. I have Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon. Both are great fun. Streamlined rules, and not much of a time commitment.

Interesting, might have to give these a whirl if I can get a group together.

780racer

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 07:10:57 PM »
Sorry to hear that your getting laid off.  :(

No worries. I had a lot of notice, but I can tell you that I already have a new career.

DOOM is a lot of fun, but is a lot easier for marines than the older one which felt like you could never win.
"I was starting with the hardest to get games first. I realized I was never going to get Magical Chase so gave up on it all, sold up and got out."

TheClash603

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 12:15:24 AM »
My friends and I were doing D&D every Monday, but when people weren't able to make it consistently, we changed it to generic boardgames.

Currently we are playing Civilization and it is pretty good.  The one guy in my group is a little slower at understanding the rules and it is a game that takes multiple nights to play, but other than that it has been fun.

The Walking Dead Risk is a one night game that we played prior to Civ and it went over well, it is easy to play but still had some good strategy.

780racer

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 08:28:30 AM »

Currently we are playing Civilization and it is pretty good.  The one guy in my group is a little slower at understanding the rules and it is a game that takes multiple nights to play, but other than that it has been fun.

I have one of those as well, and I have yet to find a group that would/can devote 6+ hours to a play through, lol.

I ended up playing DOOM with my wife and a friend for 12 hours straight Saturday. I am slightly miffed as the Marines are a bit too strong I think. Where in contrast, the old DOOM game as very invader sided. So its fun, just most times, the marines will win.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:34:16 AM by 780racer »