Author Topic: Huzak - Yet another music driver  (Read 9854 times)

DeltaRazero

Re: Huzak - Yet another music driver
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2017, 08:28:44 AM »
Damn I'd definitively need this.
I'm tired of 200KB vgm :/

Amen. I even have a 1.6 MB .vgm and it only uses 2 samples that are small and short, so that's even more annoying when it's almost all PSG.

I'd also be temped to use Muzak when it releases as exporter if I can get HuC6280's audio code from Mednafen to work in 0CC-FamiTracker. Need to study its code some more.
~Just Turbo-ify it.

Michirin9801

« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
I'd also be temped to use Muzak when it releases as exporter if I can get HuC6280's audio code from Mednafen to work in 0CC-FamiTracker. Need to study its code some more.
Why not just use Deflemask though? I mean, Huzak was written to support that...

DeltaRazero

« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2017, 10:49:36 AM »
Because 0CC-FamiTracker provides a better workflow, atleast for me.
Making wavetables and them being more easily switchable (basic wavetable sampling made more easy as well) and being more organised the way FamiTracker does it is more convenient, having arp schemes and grooves are my most important reasons.

Besides, Deflemask misses some functions or are broken. Take the noise volume differences: I know Huzak makes up for that difference and corrects it, but maybe I want to have it louder at a certain point in a song. Elmer mentioning missing noise frequencies and no switch mode between wavetable and noise (though Delek said he added that).
While reading documentation there's apparently a global- volume and -stereo volume function there.
More sound engine options are also nowhere or badly to be seen in Deflemask (sample rate, and the buffer option is better in FamiTracker).
More convenient controls, echo buffer... I think I've said reasons enough.

No offence, I'd use Huzak for with Deflemask, but I hope you can agree that a dedicated tracker specialized for a sound driver would eventually be the best. 0CC-FT is also opensource, so there's way less hassle figuring out the inner workings of the program.
~Just Turbo-ify it.

Michirin9801

« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
Because 0CC-FamiTracker provides a better workflow, atleast for me.
Making wavetables and them being more easily switchable (basic wavetable sampling made more easy as well) and being more organised the way FamiTracker does it is more convenient, having arp schemes and grooves are my most important reasons.

Besides, Deflemask misses some functions or are broken. Take the noise volume differences: I know Huzak makes up for that difference and corrects it, but maybe I want to have it louder at a certain point in a song. Elmer mentioning missing noise frequencies and no switch mode between wavetable and noise (though Delek said he added that).
While reading documentation there's apparently a global- volume and -stereo volume function there.
More sound engine options are also nowhere or badly to be seen in Deflemask (sample rate, and the buffer option is better in FamiTracker).
More convenient controls, echo buffer... I think I've said reasons enough.

No offence, I'd use Huzak for with Deflemask, but I hope you can agree that a dedicated tracker specialized for a sound driver would eventually be the best. 0CC-FT is also opensource, so there's way less hassle figuring out the inner workings of the program.
If you say so... But personally, I think Deflemask has the best workflow of any tracker I've ever used (although Famitracker is a close 2nd because it's near-identical, except it requires more clicking around to do the same things) It doesn't need "arp schemes" because it has polyphony, and I don't like arpeggios, and it already supports the PC engine, not to mention Delek is fixing its inaccuracies (not that they were very pronounced in the first place) and making instruments even better in the next release...
The only thing Famitracker is better for IMO is wave-phasing, which is something you should avoid doing too much on the PCE anyways...
Here's the thing though, this is all subjective, no one tracker is "better" than any other, it's all up to personal preference...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:45:46 PM by Michirin9801 »

DeltaRazero

« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2017, 10:43:11 PM »
I can agree with it being subjective.

I just like 0CC-FT's flow work better for me, and it's another challenge to gain some programming experience in C++.
~Just Turbo-ify it.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2017, 11:20:15 PM »
It doesn't need "arp schemes" because it has polyphony, and I don't like arpeggios,

You actually like arpeggios.   Everyone likes arpeggios. 

You don't like "arps".   They're not the same thing.   Arps are arpeggios played at a rapid enough speed to give a simulation of a chord. 

AKA: Arps are people trying to make arpeggios stop being arpeggios, lol.

This is a normal arpeggio:

https://youtu.be/BnGGkluWtrE?t=119

I'd find it really hard to believe anyone doesn't like those. 

Also, all this "best tracker/ tracker workflow" stuff is funny.

It's like watching people debate which turd is the coolest.

ayyyyyy
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Michirin9801

« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2017, 04:52:39 AM »
You don't like "arps".   They're not the same thing.   Arps are arpeggios played at a rapid enough speed to give a simulation of a chord. 
Yeah, that's what I don't like...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2017, 06:12:56 AM »
Yeah, those are the product of soundchips with 3 channels, and the need for some depth, basically.

The warble noise from those is really only good for sweeps, or actual attempts at chords like:

For some reason though, people became obsessed with spewing that into every portion of a song ever, probably because they heard Tim Follin do it, and tried to emulate it a little too hard.   He found the perfect balance with those.

It pretty much ruins a lot of other tunes because it's overbearing as hell.

Michirin9801

« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2017, 06:51:34 AM »
Tim Follin is one of the very few composers who actually made arps not sound bad...
Jeroen Tel was another one, I like his songs too...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2017, 08:32:55 AM »
Well, as is the case with a lot of people who emulate something, they just mimic it without understanding exactly what it is they're doing.   People like Follin and Tel, and Hubbard all did it for a reason.

Now the noise sounds kind of cool so people get excited and end up going overboard.

see: Gameboy chiptunes.

Michirin9801

« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
see: Gameboy chiptunes.
And some people give me s*** for 'not listening to European chiptunes' whenever I say "Not a lot of people used the GB soundchip right"
And I'm like: "But I DO listen to European chiptunes, it's just that none of the ones I like are on the Game Boy!"

MooZ

« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2017, 11:25:34 PM »
Tim Follin ZX Spectrum 1 bit tunes are awesome.

By the way any news on a possible release before Christmas ? :)

Gredler

« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2017, 04:53:09 AM »
Can't wait to hear this running in a homebrew or two! Thanks for the hard work elmer :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:39:56 PM by Gredler »

elmer

« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2017, 12:03:27 PM »

Nope, no real news.

I'm not able to do much to help SamIAm with the LoX dubs, so I really should get back to it.

DarkKobold

« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2017, 11:22:15 AM »

Nope, no real news.

I'm not able to do much to help SamIAm with the LoX dubs, so I really should get back to it.

Hey, any progress would be great progress! I look forward to hearing about it!
Hey, you.