Author Topic: Streets of Rage - Fighting In The Street (TurboGrafx-16 Chiptune Cover)  (Read 2031 times)

Bonknuts

Re: Streets of Rage - Fighting In The Street (TurboGrafx-16 Chiptune Cover)
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 07:16:08 AM »
I gotta ask, though... why?  Just gotta have that slightly muffled Devil's Crush drum sample sound?  ;)
You got an extra channel - do some phasing effects.

spenoza

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »
You maybe thought I was joking. I REALLY want a beat 'em up I can sink my teeth into. Fragmare has already committed to the soundtrack, see?  ; )
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Michirin9801

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:24 AM »
You maybe thought I was joking. I REALLY want a beat 'em up I can sink my teeth into. Fragmare has already committed to the soundtrack, see?  ; )
So do I! But you know, I don't think it HAS to be Streets of Rage...
Personally, I'd vouch to make a brand new one ;3

sunteam_paul

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 09:44:36 AM »

SOR is good but overrated. Many beat 'em ups get very repetitive which is something Golden Axe and Alien Storm seemed to avoid. I'd love to see an Alien Storm II. But that's wandering off topic...
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Digi.k

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »
Really good work! 

Michirin9801

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »

SOR is good but overrated. Many beat 'em ups get very repetitive which is something Golden Axe and Alien Storm seemed to avoid. I'd love to see an Alien Storm II. But that's wandering off topic...

I haven't played Alien Storm, but I hated Golden Axe >w>
From my experience SoR2 is the better Beat'em up on the system, but I enjoy the SNES beat'em ups better, Knights of the Round, Final Fight 3, Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, Batman Returns (to an extent), all of those I enjoy more than the SoR games...
But of course, that's all just my opinion...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2017, 06:28:37 PM »
I haven't played Alien Storm, but I hated Golden Axe >w>
From my experience SoR2 is the better Beat'em up on the system, but I enjoy the SNES beat'em ups better, Knights of the Round, Final Fight 3, Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, Batman Returns (to an extent), all of those I enjoy more than the SoR games...
But of course, that's all just my opinion...

lol.  Battletoads in Battlemaniacs is pretty shitty.  I thought it was the tits as a kid, but after replaying it, I think I'd rather just play the NES one.   Or Battletoads vs Double Dragon.

One of my favorite Beat em offs though was Pirates of Darkwater on SNES.   The music was sweet.

Most beat em offs get pretty boring, even Batman Returns, despite it being one of the funner ones.   I play the Sailor Moon ones mostly.   They have better music than most of this other shit, and aren't very long compared to other ones. 

Golden Axe's perk is the level interactivity.  This is where BTDD also shines. Streets of Rage is kind of just like "walk forward and sometimes down at an angle.  thank god the music doesn't suck or this would be shit."

Maximum Carnage and Punisher, gooooo..

yeah most Beat em offs kinda blow.   I can't say I really miss them on the PCE.   They'd be boring there too probably.   lol.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
I remember enjoying Maximum Carnage, though, maybe that was just the Spider-man fan in me.  I recall it being super hard, & finished it using a game genie or shark or whatever BITD.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »
oh, MC was f*cking awesome.   I meant GOOOOOOOOOO as in "f*ck yeha gitchu some".

Michirin9801

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2017, 04:19:30 AM »
Maximum Carnage is allright >w>

To be fair, I haven't played Battlemaniacs in years, but I have very fond memories of it...
Haven't played Pirates of Darkwater, never even heard of it actually, but I'm a bit of a fan of beat'em ups, I enjoy most of the ones I play, I just really, REALLY didn't like Golden Axe for some reason >w>

I forgot to mention the Ninja Warriors Again, but I was probably blocking it off my memory because it's a side-scrolling one, it plays pretty different from all the other ones mentioned, but that aside, it's like, one of my favourites! The graphics are simply perfect, the music is even more perfect and the gameplay is surprisingly deep! I love it, I can't have enough of it!

The only one I can think of that I enjoy more than it is Final Fight 3, yeah I know it's shallow, easy and short, but it's got branching paths! I LOVE Branching Paths, I think a game that's short but has lots of branching paths is the best kind of game because you can play it multiple times and see something different every time you play it!
And it's a LOT better than procedurally-generated crap because branching paths give you both the ability to see different things in different playthroughs AND proper hand-crafted level design that you can memorise! I think it's the ideal game design choice and I'm gonna put branching paths in a LOT of my games! Heck, branching paths is the core idea behind my very first game, the one for the MD that I've mentioned a couple of times...
Anyway, Final Fight 3, the graphics are just as perfect as Ninja Warriors Again, the music gives me chills of joy, the composition in that soundtrack is otherworldly! They've got multiple melodies playing at once and somehow still in harmony, and they often even have the bass playing its own melody on top of that! And unlike the SoR soundtracks the Final Fight 3 soundtrack ISN'T REPETITIVE!
I can only dream of ever making a soundtrack that good...
And the gameplay, while shallow, has a great variety of moves and it just 'feels' better than most other beat'em ups I've played...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2017, 04:58:44 AM »
I have fond memories of Battlemaniacs also, since I grew up playing it and still remember when I went in and bought it as a kid, but now it's like "man this is a little doofy".  Some of the enemies just take forever for no real reason. 

I'm not shocked that you have never heard of PoDW.   People who were coherent when the cartoon aired haven't even heard of it.   They cancelled the show before they finished it, even though it was awesome.

lol, horrible sampled guitar nonsense.  It's still pretty good though. 

Ninja Warriors Again is also pretty good.   Regular Ninja Warriors, not really.  ;)

Turtles in Time is probably the best Beat em Off around though.     

Michirin9801

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2017, 05:24:54 AM »
I'm not shocked that you have never heard of PoDW.   People who were coherent when the cartoon aired haven't even heard of it.   They cancelled the show before they finished it, even though it was awesome.

lol, horrible sampled guitar nonsense.  It's still pretty good though. 
Gonna check the game out, I have a place in my heart for bad guitar samples lol

Ninja Warriors Again is also pretty good.   Regular Ninja Warriors, not really.  ;)
OOOOHHHHHHH!!! YES! Someone agrees \(>w<)/
Every time I bring up Ninja Warriors Again someone goes "Nah, the original is better because Zuntata and because 80s, blah blah blah!"
And I'm like "What's wrong with these people? Yeah the original is good, but this SNES game is just so much better in pretty much every way!"

Turtles in Time is probably the best Beat em Off around though.     
OH MY GOSH! How could I forget it? I've played it all the time but it just didn't come to my mind for some reason >o<';
Yeah, it's way up there, one of the better ones, which remind me of Hyperstone Heist on the Genesis, which while not 'quite' as good as Turtles in time, it's REALLY good too, I think I enjoy it more than the SoR games, particularly the soundtrack, that one sounds great both on the SNES and on the MD!

Black Tiger

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2017, 05:39:53 AM »

No one doubts that you are serious. Hopefully fragmare can finish the soundtrack by the time you complete the rest of the game.

I assume that you plan to record the tracks from a PC Engine and then play them back in-game as redbook?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

spenoza

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »
No one doubts that you are serious. Hopefully fragmare can finish the soundtrack by the time you complete the rest of the game.

I am completing it in my head. If you want a copy outside my head, tough  ; )

The SNES had a lot of beat-em-ups, but none of them were as good as SoR2. SoR2 is the pinnacle of the form in the 16-bit space. Final Fight 3 was a definite improvement on 1 and 2 (which were pretty basic) and was better than SoR1, but not 2 or 3. Although I guess TMNT IV was pretty close, but not as much from the mechanics of the game as the theme and eye-candy. Honestly, Super Double Dragon, had it been properly finished instead of rushed out the door, might have managed to rival SoR2, but since it was rushed it falls short.

A souped-up version of the NES Double Dragon III would have been pretty great on the PCE. I think the PCE Double Dragon II certainly compares favorable to the NES version.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Michirin9801

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
The SNES had a lot of beat-em-ups, but none of them were as good as SoR2. SoR2 is the pinnacle of the form in the 16-bit space. Final Fight 3 was a definite improvement on 1 and 2 (which were pretty basic) and was better than SoR1, but not 2 or 3. Although I guess TMNT IV was pretty close, but not as much from the mechanics of the game as the theme and eye-candy. Honestly, Super Double Dragon, had it been properly finished instead of rushed out the door, might have managed to rival SoR2, but since it was rushed it falls short.
I can totally understand where people are coming from when they give SoR2 such high praise, but I can't really say I agree with it >w>
But hey, different strokes for different folks...

I just played a little bit of Pirates of the Dark Water, and yeah, it's pretty awesome! The gameplay feels great, the controls are very responsive, the moves are satisfying and the presentation is pretty nice too!
I'm still playing it as I'm typing this out, but so far, my impressions of the game are great, and it really warms my heart to see that Sunsoft made it! Back in the NES days, Sunsoft were the masters of licensed games, anything they got the license for turned out great, and even when they didn't get the license for it, they made something original that also turned out great! (Journey to Silius)
But as far as I'm concerned, the 16 bit days were their downfall...
Still, it's great to see a really good 16 bit Sunsoft game!

Another SNES Beat'em up that I like is Sonic Blast Man 2, I've never played the first game but I hear it's kinda crappy, but the second game is pretty fun! It's nothing amazing or anything, but it's solid and well-made, worth a playthrough or two!

Oh and, Double Dragon II on the PCE CD is pretty awesome! I'd definitely pick that over the NES version!