Author Topic: Streets of Rage - Fighting In The Street (TurboGrafx-16 Chiptune Cover)  (Read 2032 times)

fragmare

Here's the finished product guys.  My very first chiptune and it's a cover of Yuzo Koshiro's excellent Fighting In The Street (Stage 1) of Streets of Rage.  :)  I think I could probably play with the instruments some more, but I'm calling it done for now.  I might come back later and make some changes, but I want to cover something else next.  ;)

Full Chiptune Mix on SoundCloud

Streets of Rage - Fighting In The Street (TurboGrafx-16 Cover) ROM file download

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:41:58 AM by fragmare »

SmokeMonster

Re: Streets of Rage - Fighting In The Street (TurboGrafx-16 Chiptune Cover)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 03:37:00 AM »
Sounds pretty nice! Feels like it would fit right at home in a shoot 'em up now :D

Arjak

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 03:57:13 AM »
 :clap:

Absolutely gorgeous. Sounds very close to the original Genesis version and perfectly captures the spirit thereof. I recently attempted to make my first chiptune; a version of Ys II's Termination for Genesis, but it didn't turn out nearly as well as yours. Kudos!
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Michirin9801

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 04:23:25 AM »
I already commented on the Deflemask forum, but I might as well comment here too, and yeah, it's really impressive, especially for a first-timer, great job mate!
I'm looking forward to seeing more from you ^^

Desh

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 04:27:03 AM »
This is awesome!  I am a huge SOR fan so you're combining some of my favorite things.  Now someone use this as inspiration to port any iteration of Streets of Rage to TG/PCE.

Bonknuts

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 06:35:49 AM »
SOR resized for PCE res would work out pretty decent:

fragmare

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 01:02:18 AM »
Slightly revised and remixed version uploaded at the same link.  The leads won't blow you out of your chair now, and i fixed a nasty pitch issue in the harmony.  Also gave the bassline more punch, turned up the samples a notch, some other tweaks and... presto :)

https://soundcloud.com/user-716572978/streets-of-rage-fighting-in-the-street-turbografx-16-chiptune-cover

fragmare

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 02:06:08 AM »
SOR resized for PCE res would work out pretty decent:

Lol why resize it?  Just go 1:1-ish and use 336x224 mode.  ;)

That's how IREM rolled haha

ccovell

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 02:27:39 AM »
Sounds great!!

fragmare

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 05:27:07 AM »
As promised, here is the "in-game" mix, using only 5 channels and 8Khz samples.  I was going to do 7Khz, but Deflemask doesn't go that low heh... not much difference between 7k-8k, so you'll get a good idea for how it would sound.  Lacks a little punch and depth of the full chiptune version, but still gets the point across quite well.

https://soundcloud.com/user-716572978/streets-of-rage-fighting-in-the-street-turbografx-16-in-game-mix

Michirin9801

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 06:00:46 AM »
As promised, here is the "in-game" mix, using only 5 channels and 8Khz samples.  I was going to do 7Khz, but Deflemask doesn't go that low heh... not much difference between 7k-8k, so you'll get a good idea for how it would sound.  Lacks a little punch and depth of the full chiptune version, but still gets the point across quite well.

https://soundcloud.com/user-716572978/streets-of-rage-fighting-in-the-street-turbografx-16-in-game-mix
You know, you don't really have to use only 5 channels if you don't want to, if you arrange the song in a
clever way, and by clever way I mean put all of the least important stuff on channel 5 (since you're using channel 6 to play the drums) and just cram as much of the song as possible on channels 1 through 4 leaving channel 5 free as much as possible you can just cut out whatever's playing on channel 5 to play sound effects and then resume playing regular music notes on it when sound effects aren't being played!

That's how I arrange my music on deflemask, I'm always mindful of the possibility of sound effects, even when the song is never gonna be used in a real game, I generally put the bass on channel 1 and the drums on channel 6 and everything else in between...
For example, I can put the lead melody on channel 2, play a power chord on channels 3 and 4, and use channel 5 as just a delay/reverb effect for the lead, that way when I cut out channel 5 for SFX I don't lose any detail in the composition, just some minor effect that wouldn't even be noticed when there's a punch sound effect or an explosion going on!
And if you really need to have a whole lot of stuff playing at once, you put the quietest or more subtle parts of the song on channel 5, you know, the parts that would hardly be heard when a sound effect plays!

Just giving you a few tips, but the song still sounds great even with only 5 channels ^^

fragmare

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 06:23:04 AM »
As promised, here is the "in-game" mix, using only 5 channels and 8Khz samples.  I was going to do 7Khz, but Deflemask doesn't go that low heh... not much difference between 7k-8k, so you'll get a good idea for how it would sound.  Lacks a little punch and depth of the full chiptune version, but still gets the point across quite well.  And channel5 does not use any noise hits, so it could easily just be copy pasta'd over to channel 3, leaving channel 5 open for sound effects (and noise effects).

You know, you don't really have to use only 5 channels if you don't want to, if you arrange the song in a
clever way, and by clever way I mean put all of the least important stuff on channel 5 (since you're using channel 6 to play the drums) and just cram as much of the song as possible on channels 1 through 4 leaving channel 5 free as much as possible you can just cut out whatever's playing on channel 5 to play sound effects and then resume playing regular music notes on it when sound effects aren't being played!

That's how I arrange my music on deflemask, I'm always mindful of the possibility of sound effects, even when the song is never gonna be used in a real game, I generally put the bass on channel 1 and the drums on channel 6 and everything else in between...
For example, I can put the lead melody on channel 2, play a power chord on channels 3 and 4, and use channel 5 as just a delay/reverb effect for the lead, that way when I cut out channel 5 for SFX I don't lose any detail in the composition, just some minor effect that wouldn't even be noticed when there's a punch sound effect or an explosion going on!
And if you really need to have a whole lot of stuff playing at once, you put the quietest or more subtle parts of the song on channel 5, you know, the parts that would hardly be heard when a sound effect plays!

Just giving you a few tips, but the song still sounds great even with only 5 channels ^^

Yea, I was definitely mindful of that from the beginning.  I wanted to make both a 6 channel mix and a 5 channel "programmer friendly" mix.  As I went along dissecting Yuzo's music, mapping out the full mix, i was noticing he was putting a lot of dead space and other filler stuff on channel3... sure enough, it's like Yuzo already did the work for me as far as putting all the "discardable" stuff on a single channel.  It's like he already knew  :D

As an aside, if you want to take a journey inside a musical madman's mind, go dissect Yuzo's original Genesis track sometime, channel by channel.  That guy was doing some insanity haha
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:29:21 AM by fragmare »

Michirin9801

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 07:24:16 AM »
As an aside, if you want to take a journey inside a musical madman's mind, go dissect Yuzo's original Genesis track sometime, channel by channel.  That guy was doing some insanity haha
I would if I were more of a fan, but IMHO the SoR soundtracks are Master Yuzo's weakest works >w>
I much prefer the likes of Etrian Odyssey, the Ys games, Act Raiser (which I believe to be his masterpiece), Revenge of Shinobi and even some of his obscure PC-88 stuff, but it's not like I don't like the SoR soundtracks either, they're overall pretty good (except for 3 which is a bloody mess) but far from my favourite soundtracks from him, for the system and from the genre...
But hey, opinions and all, right?

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 08:18:42 AM »
I've never been much of a fan of the Genesis soundchip, but felt that if anyone could make it sound good, it was Yuzo.  With exception to SOR 3 as you mentioned, I just didn't dig it.

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 11:18:51 AM »
I got both of the .hes files to run on my TED v2.2 and they both sound great.

So what's the deal with the 22KHz samples version? Does the PC Engine hardware read them and just play them back at the max sample rate it can do without custom programming or is that included in conversions from Deflemask?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum