Author Topic: How did Japanese developers create their artwork?  (Read 4612 times)

gilbert

Re: How did Japanese developers create their artwork?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 06:35:12 PM »
Gilbert are you in Hong-Kong? Since I have made that connection and shared it with people who knew him but didn't know his Hudson past, I think he will come to RetroHK on Aug 10-13 and maybe there'll be a Q&A or something. Anyway if you are around it would be nice to ask him stuff. His English isn't so good and my Cantonese is non-existent.

Yes. I live in Hong Kong. I may be available at that time, depending on how busy I am.
Also, just noticed that I've been to this event two years before, mainly after that Play Station prototype.

esteban

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 02:57:52 AM »
ASIDE:

ROMANCE BEYOND arrived yesterday. I may have time to get some screen caps from the actual show (featuring, hopefully, some Hudson IP making cameo appearances!)

The date on the box says "1992" but it may have aired later...

|    | 

xelement5x

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 05:07:41 AM »
The box art and color scheme just SCREAMS "Disney's Aladdin" to me.  I hope there is a sassy genie.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Gredler

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 12:56:23 PM »
This has been one of my favorite threads here; thank you so much for sharing the links and information - took me a while to read all this stuff but worth every minute - awesome!

imparanoic

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
Gilbert are you in Hong-Kong? Since I have made that connection and shared it with people who knew him but didn't know his Hudson past, I think he will come to RetroHK on Aug 10-13 and maybe there'll be a Q&A or something. Anyway if you are around it would be nice to ask him stuff. His English isn't so good and my Cantonese is non-existent.

Yes. I live in Hong Kong. I may be available at that time, depending on how busy I am.
Also, just noticed that I've been to this event two years before, mainly after that Play Station prototype.

I was also there at retrohk event 2 years ago with sony super famicom cd prototype

imparanoic

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 03:46:50 PM »
This is confirmed from GDRI and apparently they developed Cotton too. That explains why Cotton appeared in that TV drama. Considering the (extremely) frequently appearance of Bomberman in the show it is quite possible that they are responsible for (co?)developing some of the Bomberman games too.

Just to confirm what you said (I should have written it in my original post): the guy explicitly told me he worked on Ninja Ryuukenden and Cotton. That's the only ones he mentioned but maybe he team-mates worked on more, or maybe he left before further games. Next time I see him I will try to clarify.

He also had pictures on his phone from some retro newspaper/magazine with him surrounded in boards and games.

do you need a japanese to cantonese translator or a japanese to english translator? maybe the local retro game facebook members can help you ( some of them know japanese and can provide assistance ) , who is this hudson soft person?

I also believe the retrohk event is arranged by Dixon Wu who i have meet before and he is an editor for a non gaming magazine in Hong Kong, but has strong interest in retro gaming, hence, why he arranged and created sponsors for the public debut unveiling of the sony super famicom cd rom prototype with the US owners -- Mr Terry Diebold

Bock

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2017, 05:10:18 AM »
Yes I am in contact with Dixon and he invited Ken Cheung who was the artist at Hudson HK.
Dixon might be able to help to question him :D

Michirin9801

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 11:47:54 AM »
Wow, I should have kept reading this thread because some fascinating stuff was posted and I missed out on it until now!

imparanoic

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2017, 02:43:20 PM »
Yes I am in contact with Dixon and he invited Ken Cheung who was the artist at Hudson HK.
Dixon might be able to help to question him :D

hudson soft had an office in HK? really?

gilbert

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2017, 03:56:59 PM »
Yes. If you read some of the posts from Bock's 1st post (that's the 2nd last post from the first page) onwards you should know already.

imparanoic

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2017, 09:52:34 PM »
Yes. If you read some of the posts from Bock's 1st post (that's the 2nd last post from the first page) onwards you should know already.

I am impressed, i presume that hong kong didn't have any relevant game development history, but they do, something i just learnt today!

Digi.k

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2017, 06:56:47 AM »
I saw some folks by the name of Tomwhite2004 and Vespa who posts on another forum put these up.  I hope they don't mind me stealing them but I thought of this thread when I saw them.  They are not necessarily pc engine but they are of the same era ?

Hoping these haven't been posted already.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:59:34 AM by Digi.k »

Gredler

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2017, 09:11:42 AM »
Those pics are fantastic, thanks for sharing!

esteban

How did Japanese developers create their artwork?
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »
Those pics are fantastic, thanks for sharing!

Absolutely!

Hopefully, folks will dig up more stuff.

:)
  |    | 

gilbert

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2017, 07:23:11 PM »
Reading random articles from Iwasaki's blog, I came across this:
http://www.highriskrevolution.com/gamelife/index.php?e=124
It briefly explains how you work with DF. And for those confused, DF was just CE mentioned earlier here, as explained in another entry, that while CE (Character Editor) was the official graphics editor of the PCE, the version used internally by Hudson actually supported both PCE and Famicom, and they just shifted each alphabet of the name up and called it DF (just like how HAL in 2001 was actually named after IBM, by shifting each alphabet down). It seemed that many tools worked with both PCE and Famicom (at least the versions used internally by Hudson), as at least AS (Assembler) and LK (Linker) both had a Famicom mode.

As if I haven't plugged it enough, just OBEY and bookmark Iwasaki's blog!

If you didn't know it already, he was a columnist of game magazines BiTD, who also happened to be a chief programmer in Hudson. He's a director of Ys I+II, Far East of Eden II and later, Emerald Dragon. so language barrier aside, his blog is full of game related stuff, especially those related to PCE or Hudson, and there are also many valuable information on game design and technical stuff.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:27:22 PM by gilbert »