Author Topic: The Legend of Xanadu Dub Project - Auditions Wanted  (Read 9738 times)

Arjak

Re: The Legend of Xanadu Dub Project - Auditions Wanted
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2017, 07:05:24 AM »
I'm glad things are going well! At first, I was disappointed that I couldn't participate (my Mic decided to break at the WORST possible time), but it may be for the best. I have trouble doing voices besides my own standard anyway. I'm now just happy that Sam got the publicity and talent to make this the best possible dub it can be.

Can't wait to see and hear the final results, Sam! That will definitely be a day long remembered! :D
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

elmer

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »
At first, I was disappointed that I couldn't participate (my Mic decided to break at the WORST possible time), but it may be for the best.

I never got to hear the old dub, but I hope that everyone had fun making it!

We got amazingly lucky with all of the VO and Stage actors/actresses coming forward, and I'm so sorry for everyone that was a part of the old dub and got knocked-out this time around, I know it must be really disappointing.  :(

seieienbu

« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2017, 08:51:37 PM »
In the Dub casting email a couple of roles are still pending, do you have voice actors in mind for those parts?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SamIAm

« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2017, 10:05:58 PM »
One of the pending roles is the Grandfather who narrates the intro. Although we have one back-up for him who sounds quite good, we're continuing the search for a genuine old-guy actor. Our back-up understands and is sympathetic to the situation.

The other one, for the Chapter 3 Sister, is just a case of an actress who hasn't responded to our emails offering her the part. We'll give her about another week.

The "private" listings are all filled.

LentFilms

« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2017, 01:29:15 AM »
Just read through the email thanking me for participating. Kind of already guessed that I won't get a part but I'm not not bothered by it, especially since it looks like you guys got some real awesome talent for the project. I was also happy to see that one or two of the actors/actresses I contacted about the project at the beginning of the auditions actually got cast as a few characters.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:41:49 AM by LentFilms »

elmer

« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2017, 07:02:05 AM »
Just read through the email thanking me for participating. Kind of already guessed that I won't get a part but I'm not not bothered by it, especially since it looks like you guys got some real awesome talent for the project.

Both SamIAm and I feel bad for everyone that we know from here that wanted to be a part of the translation, but just didn't make it into the final cast list.

One thing that we're thinking about doing is to get volunteers from here to record themselves to be in the big crowd scenes that are in LoX1 (when the Capital of Ishtaria goes dark, and magic stops working), and in LoX2 (at the beginning, when Areios returns to the Capital).

Everyone's recordings would be mixed in to provide the background of all the people talking.

That would be a way to allow everyone that has supported the translations for so long to be in the games, at-least in a small-but-important way.

I was also happy to see that one or two of the actors/actresses I contacted about the project at the beginning of the auditions actually got cast as a few characters.

Thanks for doing that, it obviously helped a lot since we've included them in the final cast!  :wink:

You'll have to PM me the names so that I can thank them, personally.

LentFilms

« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2017, 07:19:29 AM »
I got my copy of The Legend of Xanadu and I thought I'd go ahead and scan the tower map that elmer mentioned for anyone that doesn't have the game or the poster it came with.

https://tinyurl.com/yawlrsct
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:21:22 AM by LentFilms »

LentFilms

« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2017, 02:55:42 AM »
Gonna be that guy again but how has the dub been coming along? Was a voice for Areios's Grandfather ever decided on? Just curious to know if there are any updates worth sharing.

dejan07

« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2017, 05:19:26 AM »
I am gonna join you in being that guy. What Elmer and Sam are pulling of here can be compared to only to Working Designs Arc the Lad collection or Growlanser Generations.

elmer

« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2017, 07:10:43 AM »
Just curious to know if there are any updates worth sharing.

Yep ... Burning Man was awesome again this year, but bloody hot (record temperatures, I believe)!  :wink:

Gonna be that guy again but how has the dub been coming along?

After losing all of August and the first two weeks of September to my little trip, I'm trying to catch up with the world and find that out myself.

It looks like things have really slowed down during the last couple of months with the cast's Summer commitments getting in the way.

On top of that, it looks like poor SamIAm's time has been severely restricted due to the realities of life with a wife and a very young child.

I've had to manage developers in his situation before, and I'm not-at-all surprised that he's had far less free time than he used to enjoy as the bachelor that he was when we started translating games.

Now that my time is open again, I'll be looking to add whatever help I can in getting this all pulled together.

Was a voice for Areios's Grandfather ever decided on?

I think that we'll be going with the gentleman who has already recorded an excellent performance of the lines for us.

His voice is a little bit younger than we'd like to have as the ancient Grandfather figure, but there's no problem in changing one palette color in the intro graphic a little and making the picture of him look a tiny bit younger.

There's never any mention made in the game that the character really is Areios's Grandfather, and it's not important to the story (it's the only time that you see him), so I have no problem with him being Areios's Dad or even a Village Elder.

Having said which ... if we somehow run across an actor with an old voice, then it would be nice to keep the same audible-age as the original Japanese actor.

What Elmer and Sam are pulling of here can be compared to only to Working Designs Arc the Lad collection or Growlanser Generations.

The dub is a huge amount of work, and honestly, I'd really recommend that translations avoid doing one, if possible, it's just too big a commitment unless the leads involved can dedicate almost-fulltime work to it.

I'm absolutely amazed at what Burnt Lasagna and his Ys IV dub team achieved!  :shock:  :clap:

Gredler

« Reply #160 on: September 12, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »
So glad you had a fun and safe trip! It hasn't been the same without you sir.  :pray:

LentFilms

« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2017, 04:05:25 AM »
Thanks for the update Elmer! Happy to hear you had a good trip and I hope Sam is doing alright with his family.

I think that we'll be going with the gentleman who has already recorded an excellent performance of the lines for us.

His voice is a little bit younger than we'd like to have as the ancient Grandfather figure, but there's no problem in changing one palette color in the intro graphic a little and making the picture of him look a tiny bit younger.

If this is the same actor we spoke about through PM than I think the part is in good hands, he can do a great "old man" voice. But even if he sounds a bit younger than you wanted, or that the original Japanese sounded like, I don't think it would be a good idea to alter any of the graphics to make the character look younger. I don't think it would make the performance more convincing and it could potentially ruin the look of the original artwork.

The dub is a huge amount of work, and honestly, I'd really recommend that translations avoid doing one, if possible, it's just too big a commitment unless the leads involved can dedicate almost-fulltime work to it.

I'm absolutely amazed at what Burnt Lasagna and his Ys IV dub team achieved!  :shock:  :clap:

Yeah, my brother pretty much spent the better part of a year doing almost nothing else with his free time except work on that dub. It is indeed a lot of work. All the more reason your dub project is so impressive, I can't imagine what it must be like creating a dub for two games at once.

Keep up the awesome work guys :)

Michirin9801

« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2017, 03:55:45 PM »

There's never any mention made in the game that the character really is Areios's Grandfather, and it's not important to the story (it's the only time that you see him), so I have no problem with him being Areios's Dad or even a Village Elder.

Didn't you say something along the lines of not wanting to alter the original game's vision or something like that? Or at least, wanting to alter as little as possible...
A little arrow on the menu or a slightly better-looking map screen is one thing, but changing one of the characters is going a little too far I'd say...

Sorry, I don't wanna impose my opinion or anything, but it's just something I felt was worth saying...
Keep it up!

elmer

« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2017, 05:06:13 PM »
Didn't you say something along the lines of not wanting to alter the original game's vision or something like that? Or at least, wanting to alter as little as possible...

Yep, and that's why the change almost-certainly won't be made, even if the voice sounds a little bit younger than the original.

I imagine that SamIAm would have an honest-to-goodness heart-attack if I actually went ahead and changed the hair-color!

Quote from: Michirin9801
A little arrow on the menu or a slightly better-looking map screen is one thing, but changing one of the characters is going a little too far I'd say...

OTOH ... to play Devil's Advocate ...

He never says that he's Areios's Grandpa, Areios never refers to him as Grandpa, nor even ever mentions that he has any living relatives.

We have no idea at all what his actual age is. Heck, we don't even know what Areios's age is!!!

Nothing in what "Grandpa" says is specific to him being a close family-member.

It's a matter of absolute irrelevance.

What "vision" is there in his hair being whitish-pink instead of brownish-pink? What difference would it make?

Would Star Wars be a different story if Uncle Owen's hair was blonde instead of brown?

Quote from: Michirin9801
Sorry, I don't wanna impose my opinion or anything, but it's just something I felt was worth saying...
Keep it up!

You absolutely weren't imposing your opinion, and it was worth saying.

I've tried the hair color change, and I actually think that it looks damned good.

But, as-you-say, it feels like a step-too-far, just like some of the other things that we've tried-and-rejected.

LentFilms

« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
The topic looked like it was in danger of leaving the first page so I decided to bump it. How goes the dub guys? If there isn't any news worth sharing, I apologize for the update begging.