Author Topic: The Legend of Xanadu Dub Project - Auditions Wanted  (Read 9735 times)

elmer

Re: The Legend of Xanadu Dub Project - Auditions Wanted
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2017, 05:39:14 AM »
How goes the dub guys?

It keeps on moving forwards ... but at a very slow speed.  :roll:

Both SamIAm and I have been distracted with Real Life (tm), as have a lot of the cast.

But, on the positive side, SamIAm has sent the core cast some early mixes of a number of the LoX1 scenes so that they can hear very-roughly what things are going to sound like.  :D

They clearly point out to me that I'm going to have to do a *LOT* of messing around with the timing of the visuals in order to make each scene sound natural and not like it was assembled from a bunch of separately-recorded cuts (which it is, of-course, being assembled from).  ](*,)

To my great sadness, there's not a hope-in-heck that the dub will be done and released this year.

ashrion

« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2017, 05:59:31 AM »
And not is posible , out one version, only subs, and in future dub version?.
Long time out, only dub version is a big risk, the important is a version subs in english out...
It is not the first time that by staying more and more and more, in the end unexpected things happen and it is never completed.

elmer

« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2017, 04:47:59 AM »

I'm not sure that we're using the same language here. In my head, "subs" refer to subtitles ... i.e. adding subtitles to the cutscenes.

We cannot technically do that in the LoX games and run on a regular PCE.

Dubbing is our only choice to have the games run on a normal console.

The translated-games themselves have been basically-finished for nearly a year now, and could be released in a week or two (maybe a month or two with a full beta-test cycle).

Both SamIAm and I have complete toolsets for patching the games from the original CDs, and he has my complete source code for the toolsets.

If one of us got run over by a bus, the translated games could still be released.

I don't see much danger in these translations totally disappearing. The worst that would happen is that they'd be released with the original Japanese cutscenes, and SamIAm's very-professional-looking dub script.

LentFilms

« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »
Sorry to hear that things have slowed down but I guess that is to be expected with the holidays season upon us. Again, keep up the awesome works guys and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the States.

seieienbu

« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2017, 07:55:54 PM »
I'm oddly unsurprised that this portion is taking a super long time.  You've got cool hackers and sweet translators doing their thing and stuff is going great.  Then you've the task of dubbing over and matching voices while organizing a hundred people into doing recordings.  Tangentially related to both tasks but as it isn't directly related to either of your skillsets I wouldn't be surprised if you somehow wind up spending more hours between you on this than either the hacking or translating of the games.

I'm always excited to read the threads on these games but even when there's no updates that's not a problem.  Take your time, please.  It's been over 2 decades; as much as I want to play these games I think I can wait a little bit longer.  Thanks for putting in all of the work.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SignOfZeta

« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2017, 04:38:33 AM »
Long time out, only dub version is a big risk, the important is a version subs in english out...
It is not the first time that by staying more and more and more, in the end unexpected things happen and it is never completed.

I understand your concerns and with most groups I would agree. It’s a massive project. This isn’t their first rodeo though, they’ll get it done. It’s a 20 year old game, so I can wait.

SamIAm

« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »
Dubs are indeed quite an undertaking. When I was translating only the printed dialogue in the text boxes, it was just me and a bunch of plain text files. Later, when I was play-testing and editing via emulator, it was still a very contained thing that I could stop and start very easily, all by myself.

With a dub, there is both a lot more communication to do and a lot more to process along the way. I won't even get into all of the particulars. Anyway, things are moving forward. Thanks for checking in on us.  :)

I really, really wish I had met elmer about seven years ago. God, I had time then...

wyndcrosser

« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2017, 02:19:55 PM »
As always, I'm impressed looking forward to this and if PCe star sherrif ever gets released.

cccmar

« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
I can see where you're coming from. Just hacking/translating the written dialogues is literally nothing compared to the VA, unfortunately - which I'd assume is one of the reasons why not too many PCE-CD have been fan-translated up until now. There are some CD games which have subs for all the VA (vide Dragon Knight 1 and 2), but they're few and far between.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2017, 01:44:23 AM »
... and if PCe star sherrif ever gets released.

Heh, I'm not holding my breath.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

LentFilms

« Reply #175 on: March 03, 2018, 09:08:27 AM »
I'm doing it again (sorry) but how are things coming along with the dub?

tobasoft

« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2018, 07:59:54 AM »
I've been looking forward to this for some time

SamIAm

« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2018, 04:54:28 PM »
I'm doing it again (sorry) but how are things coming along with the dub?

Sooner or later, it will be finished.

A lot of things happened both at home and at work, and I've had to do some re-prioritizing in my life. I think elmer has a lot going on that he didn't at this time last year, too. Anyway, we're still in touch with all of the actors, and really, it's just a few large parts that need doing.

Thanks for checking in. It's always nice to see people interested in the project. :)

LentFilms

« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2018, 07:58:27 AM »
Thanks for the update Sam, it sounds like you and elmer both have a lot going on in your personal lives right now. I wish you guys the best and I look forward to hearing/playing the results of your work eventually.

tobasoft

« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2018, 06:28:42 AM »
I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I hope we see something soon.