Author Topic: great price on a laseractive on ebay  (Read 1047 times)

esteban

Re: great price on a laseractive on ebay
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 04:34:43 AM »
I'm not a videophile, so I don't care if the LA isn't **Elite Class** LD player.

The sad truth is that only the LA is part of the PCE family, and therefore will **always** intrigue me, even if there are only a handful of PCE + MegaDrive games combined to play.

It's not like I can afford to buy the LA LD games, anyway....

...perchance, to dream...
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 05:20:51 AM »
well this thread took a left turn at albuquerque.

i am going to preface this post with a couple of things:  1.  is the LaserActive "worth" the money?  For most people the answer is 'No'.  I believe the primary reason most of the shade thrown at the LA is mostly because its expensive and, for the skeptics, the cost heavily outweighs the things it does well.  2.  because of reason #1, the LA isn't for everyone.  its expensive, its big, it doesnt really look like a game console, etc...

all that being said, there are some misconceptions about the LA.  just because its expensive doesnt mean it does *everything worse than other consoles.  as one of the few folks who have modified the console, the rgb and component video mods are pretty easy and straight forward.  i would not try to region mod the PAC-N1 or N10, however.  the picture quality of the modded LA is the best ive ever seen next to the PAL TG-16 (which almost no one has NTSC and RGB/Component modded so it almost doesnt even count).  No jailbars whatsoever.

The stereo output is amped which is nice and the PCE/TG-16 dont have.  For my setup, i have no use for digital audio anyway.  Other than leaky caps, the PCBs in the PACs are the highest quality I have ever seen for a game console including Nintendo PCBs.  They are built like high end stereo equipment.  Once the caps are replaced, the PACs will pretty much last forever.  The LA in general is just reliable.  Mine plays everything the first time, without fail.

As far as day-to-day use goes, mine doesnt just sit on the shelf.  I use it probably more than any other console.  Just last night, I played some dragons curse then popped in a laserdisc and watched it.  It opened up the world of laserdiscs for me which probably wouldnt have happened otherwise.

BL - like i said, its not for everyone, but the folks that have them seem to like them.

You left out a few key things.

1) none of your mods work with actual LA games.

2) the LA doesn't really have any good games!

Pretty much nothing you said addresses these issues and both are deal breakers for some, the 2nd really should be for everyone unless you just collect boxes.

I mean, Powestone is no Space Ace and it's probably the best LA game (not even an NEC LA game).

Trust me. I can afford a Laseractive. I couldn't then! I can now though. I just don't want to waste the money on it because it sucks at any price. I'm not going to actually use it no matter how much it costs.

schweaty

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 08:22:51 AM »

You left out a few key things.

1) none of your mods work with actual LA games.

2) the LA doesn't really have any good games!

Pretty much nothing you said addresses these issues and both are deal breakers for some, the 2nd really should be for everyone unless you just collect boxes.

I mean, Powestone is no Space Ace and it's probably the best LA game (not even an NEC LA game).

Trust me. I can afford a Laseractive. I couldn't then! I can now though. I just don't want to waste the money on it because it sucks at any price. I'm not going to actually use it no matter how much it costs.

Well, if you believe your second point, then the first is irrelevant.  FWIW, I don't really disagree.  The few games it has pretty much suck.

I don't really think it was a failure because the games were bad.  It was just too damn expensive.  The economics then and now don't make any sense. 

All that being said I'm still glad to have it.  And I'm willing to pass on what knowledge I have of it to anyone interested in getting one.

TheClash603

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »
Perhaps there is something wrong with me, but I think a lot of the games are great.  Road Prosecutor, Triad Stone, Time Gal, Rocket Coaster, Dr. Paolo, and the Virtual Camerman games have provided me with many hours of enjoyment.

If you are a JB Harold fan, the LA versions are great...  but I will admit these games aren't for me.

The shooters on the system are okay in short bursts, though I admit they don't really draw me in as much as a scrolling shooter on a more traditional console.  Maybe I'll have to give them another try, I just usually go to one of my favorites when I play LA.

Plus there is Back to the Edo.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 02:32:17 PM »
EDIT: Duplicate post thanks to these God forsaken motherf*cking advertisements. I hope my retyping my posts is earning Nanto a ton of money.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:52:21 PM by SignOfZeta »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 02:44:18 PM »
Time Gal and Road Buster are a load of fun. I *do* like LD games, the problem is that none of the Bluth ones made it. Also, those two games and an LA will cost you like $3000 which is f*cking crazy. I could own a couple of LD arcade machines for that.

I called Triad Stone Powerstone again. I think anyone who has played it can forgive me though :)

jtucci31

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »
Time Gal and Road Buster are a load of fun. I *do* like LD games, the problem is that none of the Bluth ones made it. Also, those two games and an LA will cost you like $3000 which is f*cking crazy. I could own a couple of LD arcade machines for that.

I called Triad Stone Powerstone again. I think anyone who has played it can forgive me though :)
Yeah I was going to say the same thing. Triad Stone is really damn cool and Road Blaster was the best version I've played, for obvious reasons. I could be wrong, though. But either way you may barely ever even see those pop up on eBay for anything even remotely reasonably priced. That's why I decided against this one at the moment.

POWER POWER POWER

sirhcman

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 02:21:27 AM »
Looks like it has been scooped!

I am almost certian this was a scam listing

It was relisted at $375.00 5 days later on 7/30
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-CLD-A100-Sega-Genesis-SegaCD-Laserdisc-Combo-/122618962901?

Relisted again the next day for $365.00 and was ended early because "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/122625368997?

schweaty

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »
Looks like it has been scooped!

I am almost certian this was a scam listing

It was relisted at $375.00 5 days later on 7/30
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-CLD-A100-Sega-Genesis-SegaCD-Laserdisc-Combo-/122618962901?

Relisted again the next day for $365.00 and was ended early because "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/122625368997?
This listing was kind of strange.  It started at $395 then a couple days later it was lowered to $300.  That's when I posted it here.  A day later I saw the new listing with the same pic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

schweaty

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »

I saw about a year ago.  Someone made a time gal cabinet with side art and a marquee.  Inside it was a LA with the disc.  I think the same guy also made a don Quixote as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 12:54:08 PM »
Ah, this is interesting. I was actually the person to win this originally, but then the buyer sold it to someone else for more, but didn't bother telling me he had done so until a week later when i requested a tracking number LOL. Ass.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

Gypsy

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 01:39:31 PM »
Ah, this is interesting. I was actually the person to win this originally, but then the buyer sold it to someone else for more, but didn't bother telling me he had done so until a week later when i requested a tracking number LOL. Ass.

The details floweth. What a shithead.

sirhcman

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »

You should leave him negative feedback. I would venture to guess he didn't really sell it to anyone and used your money as a short term loan :-/

SignOfZeta

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 03:18:27 PM »
This is why I buy everything from Japan...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:07 AM »
Definitely drop him a negative if you can.  That guy is a twat.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles