Author Topic: I'm doing a crazy yard sale  (Read 657 times)

exodus

I'm doing a crazy yard sale
« on: August 31, 2017, 07:15:07 AM »
Not sure how many of you live in the bay area (CA), but I'm doing a big sale of games, records, laserdiscs, comics, etc etc - come on by if you're around? Sale is going on Sunday. Don't worry if you can't make it, nothing PCE that I'm selling is super rare or interesting, so nobody is missing out!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/gms/6287115222.html

gex

Re: I'm doing a crazy yard sale
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 08:36:10 AM »
Not everyday you even see PCE/SCD at a garage sale, if i stumbled upon your sale by pure coincidence I would be quite shocked and excited

csgx1

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:10:24 AM »
I'm also in the East Bay.  Looks like you got a lot of interesting stuff.  Too bad I only have room for more PCE. :)  If I'm out your way I'll have to stop by.

Good luck with the sale. 

Lost Monkey

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »
Late 90's I stumbled on a guy having a PCE yard sale.  He had all games that had been ordered by mail, TZD and that place in Atlanta whose name escapes me.  His prices were outrageous and I passed on everything but he had a whole table of SCD's sitting on his driveway. Weird.

Good luck with your sale.

exodus

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 12:29:50 PM »
Lost Monkey - that would be a crazy thing to come across! all my prices are half ebay though, so it's not too bad.

csgx1 - you never know what you might find! come on by :P

in99flames

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 01:19:07 PM »
Damn....id love that spaceballs laserdisc :-P im on the other side of the country though :-(
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

esteban

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »
Late 90's I stumbled on a guy having a PCE yard sale.  He had all games that had been ordered by mail, TZD and that place in Atlanta whose name escapes me.  His prices were outrageous and I passed on everything but he had a whole table of SCD's sitting on his driveway. Weird.

I have always dreamed of this... even if I couldn't buy anything, just simply seeing another human (in the real world) with PCE would affirm my faith in the cosmos.

:)

|    | 

Lost Monkey

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 05:46:40 AM »

I have always dreamed of this... even if I couldn't buy anything, just simply seeing another human (in the real world) with PCE would affirm my faith in the cosmos.

Funny thing is, one of us could just go ahead and do it.. you won't have to worry about selling anything at your PCE yard sale...   I wonder if you would even get one person who knew WTF was happening...

gex

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 07:12:39 PM »
Late 90's I stumbled on a guy having a PCE yard sale.  He had all games that had been ordered by mail, TZD
Wowzers, that would have been awesome to see

esteban

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 07:52:36 PM »

Funny thing is, one of us could just go ahead and do it.. you won't have to worry about selling anything at your PCE yard sale...   I wonder if you would even get one person who knew WTF was happening...

Ha! I know.

That's actually something someone could do for TubeYou: during a "block sale" (which attracts a bunch of folks browsing several different yards...), just set up a table and see what happens.

It would be fun to just spread the word to folks who are genuinely interested in games but are (understandably) ignorant of PCE... (I won't start complaining about the flippers who might show up and act naive in hopes of .....)

|    | 

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 04:05:55 AM »
Do you have any Anime Laserdiscs for sale?
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

TheClash603

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 07:33:40 AM »
You will have to tell us about the turnout.  I was considering putting up a table at a local flea market to get rid of a handful of crap I have doubles of stuff that isn't really worth the price of shipping, like NES controllers and other various junk.  A table costs $40 and you need to set up at 6AM before they close off the road, so I have yet to commit to this idea.

xelement5x

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 08:28:22 AM »
You will have to tell us about the turnout.  I was considering putting up a table at a local flea market to get rid of a handful of crap I have doubles of stuff that isn't really worth the price of shipping, like NES controllers and other various junk.  A table costs $40 and you need to set up at 6AM before they close off the road, so I have yet to commit to this idea.

I have debated doing something similar with a local video game convention that's maybe like 1-2 hours north of me.  They do open swap/sale (bring your own table) and vendor pay for the premium locations, which seems like a pretty decent idea.  I (like you apparently) am just super unmotivated to gather up stuff and price it, and I wouldn't want to be the guy saying "i dunno the price, let me check"
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

TheClash603

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 06:20:58 PM »

I have debated doing something similar with a local video game convention that's maybe like 1-2 hours north of me.  They do open swap/sale (bring your own table) and vendor pay for the premium locations, which seems like a pretty decent idea.  I (like you apparently) am just super unmotivated to gather up stuff and price it, and I wouldn't want to be the guy saying "i dunno the price, let me check"

It's now five hours from the flea market and I've decided I won't be waking up at 5AM.

Why are flea markets / garage sales / swap meets a thing people like to do early in the morning?  I tend to not wake up until at least noon on the weekend so I miss out on all these sales I would like to attend.

exodus

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 07:45:12 AM »
So here was my experience! Keep in mind my turnout was affected by three things:
1) it was labor day weekend and a lot of people were away
2) it was also PAX and SF comic con (I'm in the bay area, so all west coast events affect where nerds are)
3) one of the three train lines was shut down.

sooo yeah. Anyway I probably saw about 50-60 people total, and made about $500. I sold maybe 20% of my stuff, maybe less. I sold like 5 games only! that was weird. mostly cassettes tapes, laserdiscs, game magazines, and books.

Honestly I think with specialty stuff like I've got here, what I need to do is advertise those specific things and sell them in lots - it was pretty fun though, overall, talking to folks who knew about games and music who wandered in! A guy who was friends with osamu tezuka's old translator came by - unfortunately he left before I had much of a chance to talk to him. apparently that translator lives in the area somewhere.

But yeah, to the morning thing - I think that's just when yard sale people like to go! Basically 95% of the people who came to my yard sale did so before noon. After that it was just friends coming by for the remaining 5 hours.

So my currently plan is to do one more of these next saturday for two hours only, then sell the rest to local stores. I think it's worth doing a yard sale if you live in a populated enough area and advertise it on craigslist well enough!