Author Topic: Gai Flame/Guyframe - translation patch, beta version  (Read 3816 times)

cccmar

Gai Flame/Guyframe - translation patch, beta version
« on: September 18, 2017, 06:27:45 AM »
Hello,
so, we've had this project on the shelf for ages, and it's not fully finished, but I thought it would be a good idea to have it additionally tested beforehand. Most of the game is done away. The only major issue we know of are the menus. Of course, if you manage to notice any errors, inconsistencies etc. please report them, at best in this thread.

The game itself is a turn-based strategy, somewhat akin to other games of this type, such as X-Serd or, especially, its predecessor Gaia no Monshou. It's a part of the Langrisser saga, though this one in particular isn't nearly as long, nor epic in scope. To win, you need to go from city to city with your protagonist, investigate them and find the NPC that advances the plot, all the while doing battles. If you find some good blogs resources on this game, feel free to link them here too.

Without further ado, here's the patch: https://ufile.io/2csgn. This game seems to work best on Mednafen or BizHawk. We haven't yet checked how it works on the hardware, so feel free to do that if you want.  :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:26:13 AM by cccmar »

Gredler

Re: Gai Flame/Guyframe - translation patch, beta version
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 07:06:08 AM »
Heck yeah - thanks for all the hard work and sharing this, I wish I had the setup and time to check this out and can't wait to hear peoples opinions!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:10:48 AM »
Yarr, thanks for the hard work.  Translations are always good, though I'm too dumb and impatient to figure out such games.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

cccmar

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 08:35:46 AM »
This one is actually a bit cryptic if you don't know that you absolutely need to follow a pretty specific order of places to visit to complete the game successfully (you're told in the game where to go, thankfully). Well, either way, not that many HuCard strategy games left.  8)

elmer

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 11:57:49 AM »
Thanks!  :D

It's really great to see other folks working on translations.

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
This is fantastic! I was just going through some of my cheapy cheap hueys the other day and thought, Doesn't this game have a translation? I must have esp.

Thanks for the hard work!

hmmm the slow server seems to be down right now. Will try again later.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:35:20 PM by Keith Courage »

cccmar

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 10:20:36 PM »
This is fantastic! I was just going through some of my cheapy cheap hueys the other day and thought, Doesn't this game have a translation? I must have esp.

Thanks for the hard work!

I believe someone else was working on it, but the project was either dropped or severely stalled for some reason. So, we figured that we'd do it, as a companion project to X-Serd.
Either way, we chose this one as a quick side project, actually - it turned out that it had a fairly short script, and wasn't that much pain to hack. It's just that we got sidetracked with numerous big PC-98 projects in the meantime.   :-k

esteban

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 12:23:07 AM »
This one is actually a bit cryptic if you don't know that you absolutely need to follow a pretty specific order of places to visit to complete the game successfully (you're told in the game where to go, thankfully). Well, either way, not that many HuCard strategy games left.  8)

See, this simple piece of advice (concerning the game's linear nature) will help me tremendously when I play through it.

:)

As always, a huge *hug* and *thank you* to everyone involved in the effort to translate the Langrisser legacy on PCE.

Now, do you think a game like Spiral Wave has any chance of getting some love? Spiral Wave is, arguably, the spiritual sci-fi successor to the Langrisser series, after all. (Actually, nobody would make such a ridiculous claim). 

Seriously, though: thank you.

|    | 

cccmar

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 12:47:03 AM »
Now, do you think a game like Spiral Wave has any chance of getting some love? Spiral Wave is, arguably, the spiritual sci-fi successor to the Langrisser series, after all. (Actually, nobody would make such a ridiculous claim). 

Funny that you mentioned this game, because we did consider it at one point, half a year ago or so... what put us off was the hair-pulling difficulty level, and the fact that the first two cutscenes had almost as much text as the entirety of Gai Flame.  ](*,) At the time, we had some other big projects going too, so we put this one on the back-burner. We may go back to it at some point, but definitely not anytime soon, as we already have enough on our plate.  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:48:52 AM by cccmar »

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 03:04:48 AM »
Wow!  This is brilliant work!  Thank you so much for sharing your hard work with us gomers!  Can't wait to dive into this one!

+2 Turbob Karma

Koa Zo

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 02:32:40 PM »
Very rad. Always psyched to hear of another translation coming along.
not that I ever make the time to play them :(

shubibiman

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 06:28:35 PM »
Yeah ! Great news ! Thanks for the hard work !
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Digi.k

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 08:31:43 AM »
Had a quick game although I was trying to figure out the controls.  Seems to run fine on real hardware.  Thanks for the translated work.

Did a quick game play and capture.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:41:56 AM by Digi.k »

SuperPlay

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 10:08:27 PM »
Great stuff :-)

I have some spare time today and was wondering what to do, now I know :-)

Tolvatar

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 07:15:28 AM »
Hello there.
I would like to play this game.
But the Ips file can only be downloaded by premium users.
If someone could upload anywhere else. Please.
Thanks