Author Topic: Konami & NEC cover artist Hideaki Kodama's paintings for sale  (Read 494 times)

ccovell

Konami & NEC cover artist Hideaki Kodama's paintings for sale
« on: September 22, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »
Here's an interesting bunch of auctions: original art for some Konami games and NEC ads.

Link:
http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?p=35371#35371

Winniez

Re: Konami & NEC cover artist Hideaki Kodama's paintings for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
Looks ace. I hate how little anything illustrated we have these days. Just generic CGI or fonts on black background devoid of any character or human emotion. Looking back I really love how even the old Popular Mechanic covers looked (btw they have complete archive on google books, highly recommend checking it out) Or scale model covers and of course game covers.

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:59:47 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I had a couple printed as posters. Should look nice from a distance even with the small size of the pics. :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Winniez

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I had a couple printed as posters. Should look nice from a distance even with the small size of the pics. :)

I have also pondered about having some classic gameart in printed form on my walls. Mainly NES, DOS, PCE and SNES. Where did you find high quality/high resolution source pictures? I have thought about doing some HD retouches on the best quality images I have found.

Digi.k

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:39:41 AM »
That stuff is fantastic

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:58:38 AM »

I have also pondered about having some classic gameart in printed form on my walls. Mainly NES, DOS, PCE and SNES. Where did you find high quality/high resolution source pictures? I have thought about doing some HD retouches on the best quality images I have found.

I used the small sized pics in the link.

They're going to be 18" x 24" and be partially obscured by the monitors on my desk.

I had a large (3' x 5'?) banner made of the artwork from the cover of the Famicom version of Guardian Legend when we moved into our permanent home. I bought a couple art books by the artist and scanned a page I cut out.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

turboswimbz

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 11:28:44 AM »
Looks ace. I hate how little anything illustrated we have these days. Just generic CGI or fonts on black background devoid of any character or human emotion. Looking back I really love how even the old Popular Mechanic covers looked (btw they have complete archive on google books, highly recommend checking it out) Or scale model covers and of course game covers.

I couldn't agree more.  also thanks for the google books tip.  and for clogging up my night huddled up over the computer screen.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 03:32:44 AM »
Sweet art; thanks for sharing.  Is that a real game being depicted on the GT?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

xelement5x

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 04:58:30 AM »
Very cool, took a bit of digging around to find the original auctions but the sale prices are much lower than the BIN prices on them.  Hopefully they don't get relisted.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

esteban

Konami & NEC cover artist Hideaki Kodama's paintings for sale
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:34:28 AM »
That’s awesome!

I’m on train and rushing to bring kids to soccer, but I’ll try to find all the ads I remember from PCE mags:

GAMES FEATURED ON JUPITER…▲

The same advertisement ran in four successive issues of Gekkan PCE (July, August, September, October), with only slight differences concerning the featured CD-ROM titles…

JULY 1990: Ultra Box. Super Darius.
AUGUST 1990: Ultra Box. Valis III.
SEPTEMBER 1990: Last Armageddon. Valis III.
OCTOBER 1990: Last Armageddon. Valis III.

The selection of games featured in this advertisement suggest that NEC was not simply playing to its strengths (Super Darius was a desirable arcade port in the very popular shoot-em-up genre; Valis III was a solid platformer with extensive cinema scenes to flesh out its story) but attempting to highlight unique entries in the CD•ROM2 library as well. UltraBox, for example, represented a new breed of software for video game consoles. Each installment of Ultra Box (six were released in total) offered an eclectic collection of exclusive mini-games, multi-media experiences, and a digital catalog of all licensed HuCARD/CD games. This catalog of games was updated with each subsequent release.
Last Armageddon was originally released for PC-88 and MSX computers, but later ported to many platforms.

http://archives.tg-16.com/Gekkan_PC_Engine_1990_07.htm#p02

http://archives.tg-16.com/Gekkan_PC_Engine_1990_08.htm#p02

http://archives.tg-16.com/Gekkan_PC_Engine_1990_09.htm#p02

SOURCE: October 1990 PCE GEKKAN
http://archives.tg-16.com/Gekkan_PC_Engine_1990_10.htm

SOURCE: November 1990 PCE GEKKAN
http://archives.tg-16.com/Gekkan_PC_Engine_1990_11.htm

Deserts of Mars Poster
features a magnificent, if menacing, skeleton-wyvern soaring in a bleak, barren world…
 Deserts of Mars Poster (2600x1636 .jpg) ▼

MENACING: The CD•ROM2+IFU+CoreGrafx hardware easily evades the fearsome skeleton-wyvern…
Valis III was an obvious choice for promoting the CD•ROM2 format, since it was well-received by critics and players alike. Surprisingly, NEC featured Power League III, a HuCARD game, in this month's advertisement as well. This marked a break with tradition, since all prior ads promoting CD-ROM hardware featured CD-ROM software. The decision to include Power League III in the ad is a testament to the sheer popularity of baseball in general—and Hudson's Power League series in particular—with Japanese gamers.

NOTE: I wrote the commentary several years ago and will gladly fix/revise/update it...so feel free provide feedback. Thanks. Yes, I liked this stuff, but I got corny when I wrote about it. [emoji4]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:01:14 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

johnnykonami

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 06:46:09 AM »
These would all be wall-worthy.  I would buy repro posters of some of these for sure.

Punch

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »
The Konami Hulk Hogan / Andre the Giant painting is one I'd like to have framed on my office. Shame there are so little painted cover arts for games/movies these days.