Author Topic: Best of the Sega Saturn  (Read 2187 times)

Gypsy

Re: Best of the Sega Saturn
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 01:19:57 AM »
Some of these games I've already tried like Magical Knight Rayearth. I played for what seemed like forever and never really "played" anything. It was all text and moe. Is there an actual game in there?

Yes. It does take a bit to get going though.

crazydean

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 02:07:32 AM »
Some of these games I've already tried like Magical Knight Rayearth. I played for what seemed like forever and never really "played" anything. It was all text and moe. Is there an actual game in there?

Yes. It does take a bit to get going though.

I've seen Albert Odyssey recommended in other places. I assume it's not here because I said no RPGs. Why don't you like it?

Also, money is no object. I am very rich in CD-Rs.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Gypsy

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 02:13:05 AM »
I figured some people would recommend it which is why I specifically said something against it. It's just...not good. Generic and boring. Also while feeling grindy it's actually fairly short. There just isn't much to it and it is very forgettable.

seieienbu

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »
I've seen Albert Odyssey recommended in other places. I assume it's not here because I said no RPGs. Why don't you like it?

I've never played it but always wanted to.  What I can say with certainty is that I like the soundtrack a lot. 

I read a review when the game came out saying it was kinda meh so I passed on it at the time.  Some years later I saw a copy at a Play'n Trade for a stupid amount of money, like $120 or something.  I offered $75 which was what it was going for online at the time.  I got turned down, of course, as stores don't like haggling or whatever.  Some time passed and I went to that store again a couple of years later and it was still there.  I made the same offer.  Over the next few years I made that offer a couple more times.  Then, about 2 years ago, the store closed.  I don't think they ever sold the game.

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:09 PM »
Albert Odyssey has a high encounter rate and kind of a boring story. It's very basic, this isn't a bad thing but the game isn't particularly exceptional either. It's not bad, but it plays very much like a mid-tier SNES RPG with a funny localization.
--DragonmasterDan

nopepper

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 03:22:04 AM »

I feel the same way about that game; more style than substance. Great looking game, but the story, character and gameplay were so uninteresting, I stopped playing midway through and have not touched it in 15+ years. Maybe if I was 12 when I started playing it, I might've liked it more...

I personally don't feel like there are any action RPGs in the Saturn that are worth the time. MKR, Dark Savior and Legend Of Oasis are all subpar and don't hold a candle to stuff like Landstalker, Light Crusader and Alundra (not to mention the 2D Zeldas).

The Saturn is all about shooters, Bomberman, Dragon Force and Panzer Dragoon.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 04:50:06 AM »
Albert Odyssey has a high encounter rate and kind of a boring story. It's very basic, this isn't a bad thing but the game isn't particularly exceptional either. It's not bad, but it plays very much like a mid-tier SNES RPG with a funny localization.

If the 16-bit systems hadn't been abandoned I don't think an RPG as mediocre as this would have even been made. The budget hit moving to 32-bit set RPGs back 3-5 years.

Since it exists in English that makes it appealing no matter how lame it is but if the language barrier isn't a problem for you by all means skip this game completely. There are much better RPGs on Saturn.

Gredler

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 06:48:37 AM »

As a kid I thought the graphics were very appealing, the music rocked, and the gameplay was approachable for me as a 13 year old.

I haven't ever gone back to it, but I remember loving it.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 08:53:55 AM »
Shining the Holy Ark is the tits. 

but, MKR is still top titties.

Having recently replayed it, it's still so fun.

That era was neat when you get all pumped up because there's voice overs coming out during talky-time.

A similar-ish experience is Linkle Liver Story.

Another fun game, and that one doesn't require English really either.

It's weird to play RPGs that you can't understand the story of though.   I don't really get that.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Gredler

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
I recently tried a playthrough of the holy ark, but got stalled about 2/3s through, and puttered into something out. What a fun dungeon crawler, I really should go back and wrap it up.

Gypsy

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »
Shining the Holy Ark is the tits. 

but, MKR is still top titties.

Having recently replayed it, it's still so fun.

That era was neat when you get all pumped up because there's voice overs coming out during talky-time.

A similar-ish experience is Linkle Liver Story.

Another fun game, and that one doesn't require English really either.

It's weird to play RPGs that you can't understand the story of though.   I don't really get that.

Yeah I have replayed MKR within the last couple years and I thought it was still fun as well. Now, should it be $342384 or w/e f*ck no but it would be really solid for like $30 lol.

exodus

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 05:35:09 AM »
As a Hudson fan I have to mention Yuna remix, Yuna 3, Willy Wombat, and Tengai Makyou: the Apocalypse IV and well as Bomberman Wars.

I keep wanting to like yuna 3, but the shrill voices are really wearing me down! and willy wombat's VO is a super embarrassment. but it's got some odd charm!

ginoscope

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 09:41:11 AM »
I have always been fond of Deep Fear on the Saturn since I first tried it out when I got into Saturn around 2002.  It's a survivor horror resident evil clone that was actually made by Sega.  It has horrid voice acting but I always loved that it took place underwater.  Reminded me of The Abyss movie.

This only came out in Japan and Europe but there is a US prototype that was found some years ago.  I really liked how using your gun would deplete the oxygen in certain parts of the rig.  Highly recommended if you are a survivor horror fan.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »
As a Hudson fan I have to mention Yuna remix, Yuna 3, Willy Wombat, and Tengai Makyou: the Apocalypse IV and well as Bomberman Wars.

I keep wanting to like yuna 3, but the shrill voices are really wearing me down! and willy wombat's VO is a super embarrassment. but it's got some odd charm!

Yeah, neither of these games is all that amazing. They made some great art for them though.

Izod1337

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2017, 04:50:36 AM »
If you're looking for some Saturn games, I recommend trying out Wachenroder. Personally my favorite linear rpg that has a unique setting and characters. The only thing is that it can get repetitive. There is a full translation guide for it on Gamefaqs. Also of anyone is interested I did a review of it: http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/thread/8984/wachenr-der-jp-review-spoilers