Author Topic: Need some dreamcast vga connection help  (Read 2491 times)

schweaty

Re: Need some dreamcast vga connection help
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2017, 06:50:21 AM »
Welp, got my vga cable in today.  Im getting a ton of video interference over the audio.  The picture is also dark and unstable.  Bad cable?

I recall with one of those I had to press it in the DC's port pretty hard for a good connection.

Didn't have the problems you describe, though. Which one did you get, this one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BF74KOS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It was pretty stiff but i made sure it was seated.  I didnt get that one, but it looks exactly like it.  Probably going to return it and try the tomee one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Gypsy

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2017, 06:56:01 AM »
Oh. You should get an actual VGA box for sure.

bartre

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2017, 07:56:33 AM »
yeah, the ones that are just cables are kind of notoriously bad.
I'd expect $30-40 for a good one

schweaty

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »
If its going to be that much i might as well spring for the kuro box. 

Anybody have any experience with the hong kong vga boxes that cost about $40?

Gypsy

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »

At this point I would definitely recommend just springing for something from Beharbros. Their prices are pretty reasonable.

bartre

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »

yeah, just go for a nice one at that point imo

Lost Monkey

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
Welp, got my vga cable in today.  Im getting a ton of video interference over the audio.  The picture is also dark and unstable.  Bad cable?

Tried the code with Daytona - couldn't get it to work. 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2017, 03:06:01 PM »
Daytona doesn’t need a code, does it? Do you have some f*cked euro shit or something?

EDIT:

I’m kind of surprised this is such an issue...now, aparently, since I don’t remember any VGA issues back in the day other than sometimes the monitor wouldn’t sync with a box I had. I can’t remember the details.

VGA boxes are an officially supported 1st party peripheral. There’s even a logo for it on some games that support it. VGA boxes were made by Naki, Nuby, Sega, and lord knows who else. Maybe you should try something vintage that they made thousands of good examples of instead of this garagista bullshit.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:11:54 PM by SignOfZeta »

Lost Monkey

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 03:20:03 PM »
Daytona doesn’t need a code, does it? Do you have some f*cked euro shit or something?

EDIT:

I’m kind of surprised this is such an issue...now, aparently, since I don’t remember any VGA issues back in the day other than sometimes the monitor wouldn’t sync with a box I had. I can’t remember the details.

VGA boxes are an officially supported 1st party peripheral. There’s even a logo for it on some games that support it. VGA boxes were made by Naki, Nuby, Sega, and lord knows who else. Maybe you should try something vintage that they made thousands of good examples of instead of this garagista bullshit.

Yeah - I quoted the wrong post - I was trying the anamorphic widescreen code... US game (original) with Codebreaker DC. 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
Ah...some of those codes/modes are video specific. For example, F355 has wide in the menus normally but it doesn’t work in VGA since there’s no such thing as anamorphic VGA. I think you need SD video. I’ve never used any of those codes but I assume it’s not an entirely different thing.

seieienbu

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »
I would definitely second getting an original VGA Box rather than a cable from Amazon.  I tried two different DC VGA cables and wasn't pleased with either.  Both had rather shitty signal quality.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

jperryss

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 10:01:21 AM »
I ended up taking a gamble on one of the $15 Retro-Bit cables and it works fine, other than requiring some extra force to insert into the back of the Dreamcast. It's a tight fit and I probably won't unplug it too often (only have a couple non-VGA games) but otherwise, no issues. And it looks really good on a VGA monitor.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »
... other than requiring some extra force to insert into the back ... It's a tight fit ... probably won't unplug it too often ...looks really good
I'm a pervert.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Gypsy

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 12:36:06 AM »
I ended up taking a gamble on one of the $15 Retro-Bit cables and it works fine, other than requiring some extra force to insert into the back of the Dreamcast. It's a tight fit and I probably won't unplug it too often (only have a couple non-VGA games) but otherwise, no issues. And it looks really good on a VGA monitor.

Honestly there is no reason one of these cables can't look good. The Chinese ones are crap because they use crap parts to keep the price down. I've not tried the retrobit ones but I do have a custom made one coming from an eBay seller in Poland. I have his Saturn SVideo cable and it is excellent. The retrobit cable is cheap enough that I'll probably do a comparison at some point.

schweaty

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 02:58:12 AM »
I feel like Im missing something here.  I've seen a couple of posts about most dreamcast games being vga compatible, but when I look on the back of the games I have, it looks like at least half are not.  Huh?