Author Topic: Need some dreamcast vga connection help  (Read 2478 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: Need some dreamcast vga connection help
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2018, 09:36:43 AM »
I feel like Im missing something here.  I've seen a couple of posts about most dreamcast games being vga compatible, but when I look on the back of the games I have, it looks like at least half are not.  Huh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I wonder if this is because most people use CD-rs and at least 95% of games are patched to work with a VGA cable now days.

Also, I have two super generic VGA cables that were maybe $15 each. Never had an issue with either one as far as video quality or buzzing audio is concerned.

Not every piece of supported hardware is mentioned on every game, especially US release. The VGA box was not promoted in any way in the states, I’m not sure if OEM ones ever were sold here. So many games work and they just don’t mention it.

From my experience usually the games that don’t work or work badly if tricked are 2D or have some 2D aspects to them. I’m not sure why this is but that’s what I’ve noticed. The 2D fighters come to mind but also even some games like Sakura Wars 1 or 2 (one or both of them, I can’t remember) have a malfunction or two if played in VGA even if the rest of the game is fine. The other two SW games are native to DC (1 and 2 were ports of SS games) and used no code in common, are largely 3D, and work great in VGA as do many games from my experience and I’ve played almost nothing but originals.

I would go check Skies of Arcadia right now but my f*cking power just went out and it’s going to hit 11F tonight so I have to go haul some f*cking wood into the house. WeeeeeeehhhAaaaas!

I'm very sure Skies works. I could check Sakura Wars if anyone cares but no one cares. Man, it's been so long since I played through those games.

With the fighters, I know Last Blade 2 doesn't work, as it's one of my favourites and the best I can play it with is svideo.

Another game that didn't work was some derpy ass baseball game that sucked anyway. Most stuff pretty much just works and I've played a shit ton of Dreamcast games.

I know all Sakura Wars games work, but the first two need to be tricked.

Purple1308

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »
It should work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schweaty

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2018, 03:35:45 AM »
The Akura can trick games (I didn't have to with Skies) but it's $85. I'll let you know on the cable and test some games that would require tricking.
Awesome... I will be monitoring this thread

schweaty

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
Little update, and probably last post in this thread.  I decided to order the white tomee cable (I'm such a cheap-ass).  Got it today, tested out my humble collection of 20-ish games, and everything but KOF 99 works.  No boot disk necessary.  I knew KOF would not work before I tried it.

Thanks for all the help here.

seieienbu

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2018, 07:20:11 AM »
It's good that your games work in VGA.  With that said, how does the picture look with that cable though?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

schweaty

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2018, 10:50:28 AM »
Looks good.  No distortion.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2018, 02:38:49 AM »
That part really should’t be hard. :)