Author Topic: PCE Super Griffin For sale  (Read 454 times)

woolfman

PCE Super Griffin For sale
« on: December 17, 2017, 07:40:28 AM »
Hello Folks,

just found this on Ebay, in case someone here is interested in having one:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/PC-Engine-Magic-Super-Griffin-8M-ultra-rare-fully-working/182960205952?hash=item2a99473080:g:zIIAAOSwEzxYPXQl

AFAIK they turn up rather seldom.

Cheers,
Wolf

Punch

Re: PCE Super Griffin For sale
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 07:53:41 AM »
875 euros? Only if you're super serious about preserving videogame history or if you're from the other side of the spectrum.

dshadoff

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 08:15:47 AM »
I have one of these which I would be interested in selling in late January (will be too busy until then).

875Euros is a lot of dough - what would be more reasonable (i.e. quick sale) ?

Punch

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
I have one of these which I would be interested in selling in late January (will be too busy until then).

875Euros is a lot of dough - what would be more reasonable (i.e. quick sale) ?

I don't know Dave, 1000 dollars seems like way too much, I feel like maybe $200~300 is a fair price for what this is but it's a tough sale with the Turbo Everdrive selling for $85. There's not many prospective buyers for just playing backups with that.

woolfman

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 01:36:28 PM »
I don´t know what they´re worth, but I thought someone in the community might be interested.

200-300 USD really? What is it used for actually? Wasnt it used for game dev, or am I mistaken?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »
It’s a pirate device. Now that vastly better pirate devices exist it’s value is purely historical and even that is sketchy since it’s obviously not official.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:52:23 PM by SignOfZeta »

henrycsc

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 11:25:38 AM »
There are a couple of these available for sale, and have been for years at various prices.  Since nobody is buying them, they probably aren't worth more than mentioned complete (that is, with the floppy drive, AC adapter, and cables.

I have one of these that was part of a bulk lot, but mine doesn't have the floppy, AC, or cables. but it was basically free in the lot I got.

It is a copier that allows you to transfer the hucard to a 3.5" floppy disk.  I assume that it also needs to be connected to a computer with software as well in order to perform the transfer to disk.  That said, it's gonna be a museum piece for most people.  There are several vintage copier devices that spring up time to time.  All are basically the same technology since that was the only way to store portable data at the time.

I haven't looked to see if there are modern copiers that allow you to dump roms for games that haven't already been captured.  Are there any left that haven't been captured?  Maybe the Kid's Station games?  I think that the retro freak console can store the rom off of a hucard, but I'm not sure if you can copy the rom to a flash drive so it can be shared.

dshadoff, if yours is complete, I might be interested in it - since I am one of those museum freaks, but either way good luck if you decide to sell it.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

MNKyDeth

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 12:30:17 PM »
Since you mentioned the retrofreak. I own one....

They do indeed rip a cart to a sdcard. However the files they make cannot be used in something like a TurboEverdrive.

I have tested this and is actually the reason I bought the retrofreak. To see how it ripped the cart games. I don't know if you can just rip the headers out of the files it makes and then the roms will work in an everdrive but it's not worth the hassle in the long run.

retrofreak imo is only good for people who want to play cartridge based games and don't own any of the systems with RGB and scart cables with an upscaler. I cannot compare to a retron 5 as I don't own one of those but my retro freak does a solid job of making games portable when I go to other peoples houses and don't want to drag along 5 consoles and an upscaler.

Anyways....   :)