Author Topic: Johnny Turbo Returns?!  (Read 1210 times)

TheClash603

Re: Johnny Turbo Returns?!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 10:46:21 AM »
Out today: Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom.

Gate of Doom a is classic multiplayer action RPG for one to two players. Originally release in 1990, and a noted classic arcade title from the 90s.

Am I the only one that thinks is f*cking bizarre?

Also, I've never played this game and it wasn't in any of the many arcades I used to frequent.  Is it just dumb luck, or are they using the term "classic" too liberally here?

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »
Out today: Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom.

Gate of Doom a is classic multiplayer action RPG for one to two players. Originally release in 1990, and a noted classic arcade title from the 90s.

Am I the only one that thinks is f*cking bizarre?

Also, I've never played this game and it wasn't in any of the many arcades I used to frequent.  Is it just dumb luck, or are they using the term "classic" too liberally here?

It's not just you.  This is.......surrea perhapsl?  Very strange.  As for the game, I didn't know it existed till today, so I don't think I ever saw it in arcades BITD.

Punch

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 07:47:55 PM »
I'll only buy old data east arcade games from Tubbs if he confirms whether or not the shiny Duo is real.

KingDrool

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 01:49:43 AM »
I downloaded the game yesterday and played it for a bit. I'm pretty sure I've played this before on MAME. It's a really well-done port of a pretty shit game. I don't care for it, at least. It's an isometric adventure game, with a Dungeons & Dragons arcade vibe, but it's just not very fun. And the sound effects are garbage.

The intro screen is hilarious, though. It's got the Johnny Turbo logo and (I assume) Brandsetter's voice saying, "Johnny Turbo Presents..." From there, they've got lots of settings (RGB, HD, S-Video, Composite, 4:3, Stretch, etc.), which is nice to see. It's a two-player game, and you can select one of four characters.

The game is alright, I guess. It just didn't feel right to me.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

KingDrool

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 05:53:21 AM »
Okay, this is pretty hilarious:

The promo art for the Switch port of Bad Dudes on http://Nintendo.com  is probably the most amateurish thing I've ever seen. It's literally just sprite edits from fighting games (such as Double Dragon '95, Art of Fighting 2 and KOF) and pretty obvious ones at that.

I can understand not having access to the original art assets for such an old game (especially one from a defunct company like DECO), but it's not like there aren't scans of the arcade flyers and boxarts online. Or better yet, just use a screenshot from the actual game.

So, for context, Johnny Turbo's next game on Switch is a port of Bad Dudes. For the promo art on Nintendo.com, his company took pixel art from other games and slapped it on the banner. Check it out:

Promo art:

Actual games:

:clap:

EDIT: Oh holy shit. I just noticed that the semi and the city background were both totally photoshopped in there. Genius.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:56:51 AM by KingDrool »
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Black Tiger

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 09:16:52 AM »
Johnny Turbo was obviously a joke poking fun at TTi guys. Johnathan Brandstetter is genuinely ruining his actual reputation all on his own.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

exodus

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 08:45:37 AM »
it's worse - he took the promo image from someone on deviant art who copied those sprites. I think it's fair game to do that as a deviant art fan - but to steal stuff which is stolen, that takes some real guts!

https://tonatello.deviantart.com/art/Bad-Dudes-vs-Dragon-Ninja-213761281

KingDrool

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 06:47:45 AM »
Next up from Johnny Turbo: Sly Spy.

Secret Agent: Use your jetpack and the golden gun and save the world from Evil.

It is the year 199X, Secret Agent Sly must protect the U.S. from a nuclear missile attack from the terrorist organization CWD (Council for World Domination). Play an arcade classic! Secret Agent: Use your jetpack and the golden gun and save the world from Evil.

Platform Nintendo Switch
Release Date May 03, 2018
No. of Players 1 player

It's a shame, I'm not seeing any jacked up photoshop f*ckery on this page.

Got one to sell? PM me!