Author Topic: Random/drunk thought of the night...  (Read 528 times)

pixeljunkie

Random/drunk thought of the night...
« on: December 30, 2017, 04:44:47 PM »
Let's say someone wanted to fund a translation. Just text, not a dub

Let's say this person was offering to pay for this to happen...what kind of money would make this worthwhile? I'm just curious. I know it depends on the game. But for example's sake, let's say Dragon Knight & Graffiti.

What would be the time frame, how many people needed, projected hours and so on?

Just curious...drinking

Gredler

Re: Random/drunk thought of the night...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 08:18:58 PM »

esteban

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 12:05:43 AM »
You still have time to pick up a 64oz. (or larger) beverage from the Pepsi family of soft drinks! Do it now, before the show begins!
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 01:59:07 AM »
You'd likely have to find an unemployeed programmer and pay them an annual salary. Then hire someone to translate the script once it's ready.

Better off hiring people to make a new original game.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

turboswimbz

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 02:31:26 AM »
yeah BT is quite right:  Talk to Sam/Elmer/NW about some of the stuff they have worked on, it's not something you just do in a few hours of spare time.  I was amazed at how much time goes into games with just a little bit of text.

Most people think it's something like this:

ESTEBAN LE GRAFX:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:34:49 AM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

pixeljunkie

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 06:20:03 AM »
hahaha i forgot I even wrote this

Hindsight - totally aware of the time involved. I was more curious about motivation. I've actually worked on a couple PCE projects that fizzled. I think  if people were getting PAID they would not have. I have only worked on the art side of things, which takes considerable time, but nothing compared to script/programming, honestly. As far as art is concerned I could do it in my "free time" - but I don't think the same could be said for other aspects of production.

And yes, BT is absolutely correct. Move along people - nothin' to see here.

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 07:08:57 AM »
The problem is that if you have a fulltime job, it's difficult to work on any kind of game project other than whenever you happen to find time.

I don't know much time I spent on Henshin Engine, but I remember realizing late into development that it had already been a good 1000 hours. Several sections of background (like the Akira homage backdrop) took 50+ hours alone. Most of it was getting everything to work and the pixelart was the easiest and fastest part.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum