Author Topic: Custom Made Portable PC Engine  (Read 1983 times)

TheReal1980

Custom Made Portable PC Engine
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:17:49 AM »
Hi,

I am new here but not new to the console

I was wondering if there is someone who makes portable PC Engine handhelds similar to this:

I am interested in making a kit and sell it to anyone who want to convert their PC Engine into a portable solution.
Testing...

Punch

Re: Custom Made Portable PC Engine
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:44:05 AM »
Please don't do kits like the video you shared...

4:3 or bust

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »
Nope, you will have the market to yourself.

Just keep in mind that multiple people do screen upgrades and all kinds of special mods for the TurboExpress/PC Engine GT.

Also, PC Engine fans hardcore enough to play games on a portable using real hardware tend to have no interest in differently abled screen perspectives, as it defeats the whole point of authenticity.

They also tend to not be enthusiastic about destroying consoles to cobble together franken-systems. So any kit should ideally allow the console to be more or less restored. Also, the shell would have to be a very special design that is high quality and faithful to the PC Engine aesthetic, like the Super SD System 3.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

TheReal1980

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »
Please don't do kits like the video you shared...

4:3 or bust

No it was just an example.
Testing...

TheReal1980

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »

Just keep in mind that multiple people do screen upgrades and all kinds of special mods for the TurboExpress/PC Engine GT.

Also, PC Engine fans hardcore enough to play games on a portable using real hardware tend to have no interest in differently abled screen perspectives, as it defeats the whole point of authenticity.

They also tend to not be enthusiastic about destroying consoles to cobble together franken-systems. So any kit should ideally allow the console to be more or less restored. Also, the shell would have to be a very special design that is high quality and faithful to the PC Engine aesthetic, like the Super SD System 3.

Many thanks for your input on this.

1. Do you have links to people who do mods? I would love to check it out.

2. So screen must be 4:3 you mean? That was my idea as well.

3. I will only make something that is of high quality, there is no reason for me to half ass it as it is a niche product for a niche market. The idea of being able to restore it back to a normal working PC Engine is something I share as well, my idea was never to make a Analogue Nt version of a portable PC Engine.

A few questions for you if you have the time:

1. Could you tell me what mods, if any, are expected to be made for a portable PC Engine?

2. What screen size is preferable? Is there a minimum/maximum?

3. Weight wise what is the maximum for a enjoyable game time?

If you have anything else important to share please let me know.
Testing...

TheClash603

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 12:02:08 PM »
Since the Turbo Express already exists, this may be somewhat redundant.  I am not the guy who can come up with ideas like this, but I do know you'll have to make something great to get any interest.

Why not just make some nice updates to the Turbo Express and sell modded versions of that?  Built in rechargeable battery with long life, better screen, built in Ever Drive, etc. Could be nice.

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »

Many thanks for your input on this.

1. Do you have links to people who do mods? I would love to check it out.

2. So screen must be 4:3 you mean? That was my idea as well.

3. I will only make something that is of high quality, there is no reason for me to half ass it as it is a niche product for a niche market. The idea of being able to restore it back to a normal working PC Engine is something I share as well, my idea was never to make a Analogue Nt version of a portable PC Engine.

A few questions for you if you have the time:

1. Could you tell me what mods, if any, are expected to be made for a portable PC Engine?

2. What screen size is preferable? Is there a minimum/maximum?

3. Weight wise what is the maximum for a enjoyable game time?

If you have anything else important to share please let me know.

Here is the Mod/Repair section:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?board=19.0

The last PC Engine GT I bought came with a new large screen, switchless region mod, built-in rechargeable battery pack inside the battery compartment (lasted a long time), component/AV output, controller port, was recapped and there is probably something I'm forgetting.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

seieienbu

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »
built in Ever Drive

Has anyone done this to a Turbo?  I've seen built in games a few times but never a built in Ever Drive.  That sounds super cool.....
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 07:48:54 PM »
People already add controller ports, and video out to Expresses, in addition to better screens.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ColinM

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 03:17:16 AM »
I made RetroPi Gameboys for a couple friends and  myself, better option so you aren't messing around with stock hardware...plus I put NES, Atari, etc games on it too. Not the same as original obviously but it scratches the itch for portable play.

Uses a lithium ion battery pack, backlit screen, and microusb charge port.

spenoza

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 03:26:17 AM »
Cool. How's the input/display lag? I've heard RetroPi isn't as responsive as it could be.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

ColinM

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 04:31:24 AM »
Cool. How's the input/display lag? I've heard RetroPi isn't as responsive as it could be.

I've only ever had issues with lag using crappy USB controllers and certain TVs or crappy portable screens. The buttons are wired directly to the Pi, so no issues with input lag, and the display lag is not noticeable, no idea what it actually is. I'm sure there is some.

roflmao

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 04:56:35 AM »
Yeah, there are a lot of controllers that introduce lag when using a RetroPi, but I've found a couple that work great.

This is an awesome project, Colin!

spenoza

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 05:01:43 AM »
So tell us more about this project? What kinds of parts do you source? How long does it take and how much does it cost to put one together?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

jperryss

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 07:09:52 AM »
I made RetroPi Gameboys for a couple friends and  myself, better option so you aren't messing around with stock hardware...plus I put NES, Atari, etc games on it too. Not the same as original obviously but it scratches the itch for portable play.

Uses a lithium ion battery pack, backlit screen, and microusb charge port.

This is awesome.