Author Topic: Restarting Game of the Week (is there interest?)  (Read 2166 times)

geise

Restarting Game of the Week (is there interest?)
« on: March 30, 2018, 10:42:22 AM »
SamIAm was doing these before (thank you!) and I was thinking about starting this back up and hosting if there are enough people that would like to participate. So, reply here with interest and maybe we can start another thread with hosting dates and hosts for the Game of the Week. I'm hoping this could start more discussion again and possibly get some lurkers to participate. So...anyone interested?

Also, this could turn into a Game of the Month as well.

crazydean

Re: Restarting Game of the Week (is there interest?)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
I was a new member last time we did one of these, and it was great...for a little while.

The problem seemed to be that either GOTW would lose momentum because someone suggested a game that caught few people's interest like Klax. Or, it was a game that may of us had already played or beaten.

Having said that, I'm up for it. Maybe we should go for PCE games though, since there are so few TG games that we haven't all played to death or might find interesting.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

geise

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »
Yeah as with last time we did both pc-e and turbo. Mostly it was import stuff. I agree with lack of interest due to certain games, but at least it was just for that week. Maybe something like a game of the month and do a vote? Person hosting that month can make a pole for 3 or 4 games to vote on. Even then it could still be a game quite a few might not like. Can't please everybody.

Glad to hear you're up for it though.

Gypsy

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »
Maybe of the month would be better? I'm down to try either way.

lukester

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 04:26:40 PM »
I thought these were a lot of fun. Helped to get discussion on individual games going too.

The poll thing is a nice idea. The N64 forum usually does that for Game of the Month.

Phase

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »
I thought these were a lot of fun. Helped to get discussion on individual games going too.
+1

What about 2 games a month? Perhaps a more common game or shooter and then a more random second game. People could play one or both.. not sure lol  :-"

crazydean

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »
+1

What about 2 games a month? Perhaps a more common game or shooter and then a more random second game. People could play one or both.. not sure lol  :-"

Actually, I think this is a great idea. Start Game of the Month and have two. That circumvents the bored feeling that some older players have but also maintains interested with possibly a less played game.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

TheClash603

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 02:13:35 AM »
+1

Actually, I think this is a great idea. Start Game of the Month and have two. That circumvents the bored feeling that some older players have but also maintains interested with possibly a less played game.

Let's do the best of both worlds...  gameS of the month and pick 4 of them.  Same amount as if we did game of the week, but now you get more time to play them.

This opens things up for RPGs for example, if one person wants to take some time with their game.  You could exclude the other 3 games from your personal playlist, if not for you.

I'd say that the only rule would be to pick a variety of genres.  So no more than one platformer, RPG, shooter, puzzle game etc per month.  Also keep it varied between PCE and TG16 games.

My friends and I at work agreed to see all 9 Oscar nominated best picture movies and to discuss them.  It probably took us about 6 weeks to see each of them and none of us saw them at the same frequency or in the same order.  This didn't prevent us from having some good movie discussions, so the same premise is at work here with the 4 games per month suggestion.

geise

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 09:45:57 AM »
Yep. This was a huge part of the reason I wanted to get this up and going again.

I am down with 2 games a month. 4 isn't bad but I think it could be a tad much. What are others thoughts on number of games if we're going to go monthly with this?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:47:48 AM by geise »

seieienbu

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 10:35:44 AM »
+1 for 2 games of the month. 
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 01:44:34 PM »
Yeah, two seems fine.

Gredler

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »
Two at most for me, but i am down to try and participate

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 03:54:37 AM »
I'm somewhat interested.  I like the idea of having a whole month to work on 'em, though no more than two games please.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

geise

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 04:10:17 AM »
I'm somewhat interested.  I like the idea of having a whole month to work on 'em, though no more than two games please.
Yeah this is going to be 2 games only. Sounds like this is going to be how we'll do it. I'd like to get this started by May. So, my idea is to start a thread soon for who wants to choose the games for the months of 2018. I'll host to keep it going, but will have people request the games they want for each month like SamIAm did for each week. If people really want to host themselves that's fine and we can go that route. If people get to busy I can step in for them and host.

Do people want to host themselves for each month?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 04:18:29 AM »
I'm not sure we even need two different games.  Unless you're a masochist and try to make people play Impossamole or Astralius, I think we can suck it up and play a game we don't love every once in a while.

As for hosting, I vote you do it yourself.  That way it's consistent and just one person is responsible for keeping it going from month to month.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles