Author Topic: Why are PCE controller cords so short?  (Read 1191 times)

Everblue

Why are PCE controller cords so short?
« on: April 16, 2018, 02:05:46 AM »
I find that the PCE controller cable are too short, same with the Super Famicom's. I wonder if the idea is to hook up the console only when you are going to play, place the controller on the floor as far from the TV as possible, then sit a couple of feet on the floor, away from the console.

soop

Re: Why are PCE controller cords so short?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 02:14:09 AM »
That's exactly right.  You'll notice that all Japanese consoles of the era had short controller leads.  I don't know when it stopped, maybe around the Gamecube?  And if you see any pictures of videogaming in Japanese homes of that time, you'll see why:  The way people played was to hook up the console, place it on the floor in front of the TV, and then usually sit closer to the console.  Japanese homes don't (didn't?) tend to have sofas or seating arrangements in the same way Western homes do, and I'm fairly sure that it was the trend that equipment like that didn't stay out, at least in a family room.  You plugged it in and played it, and then packed it away when you were done.

NightWolve

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 02:21:22 AM »
Yeah, it was a nickel and dime move to force you to buy the extension cables... At least, that's what I felt.

Every console I had prior to winning a TurboGrafx-16 had at least 6 feet of length for controllers. From NES to a Genesis I borrowed from a friend, and on to SNES, etc... Atari was OK too.

TG-16 was the only one I opened to find controllers 3 feet in length... And the brochure material showed you the extension cables for $9.99 as I recall.

I always thought that was a crummy move, but is what it is.

Funny you brought this up, I had to learn good solder work and took cable from an old controller to extend my NEC Avenue pad after upgrading to a Turbo Duo. I refused to buy extension cables on principle, cheap bastard that I am! ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:36:38 AM by NightWolve »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 02:49:32 AM »
They are short, no argument there, but I can't say it ever bothered me back in the day.

At least you can get generic cords for cheap.  Silver linings?  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:50:22 AM »
In most 1980s Japanese homes you can’t sit far enough from the TV for this to be a problem. And yes you put it away when you aren’t using it, just like your bed and your entire kitchen. No self respecting 1980s adult Japanese would leave his Famicom cords strewn through his main room 24/7. Not only because he’d be stepping over it constantly but also because video games are for children and degenerates so it makes you look like a moron or a gang member or something.

I think this started to change when the concept of home theater took off in Japan, having a big thing that’s always there.

Btw, pretty much the same thing happened everywhere. In the 2600 era many Americans used to have a little cart for their TV so they could put it out of the way when they didn’t want it taking up room. This was, of course, when only expensive TVs had remotes so why the f*ck have a 20’ cord if you have to do everything on the TV by touching it?

THINK ABOUT IT!

NightWolve

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 03:06:53 AM »
Not only because he’d be stepping over it constantly but also because video games are for children and degenerates so it makes you look like a moron or a gang member or something.
THINK ABOUT IT!

Ah, of course! :lol: Entertaining as always Mr. Zeta!

Everblue

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 03:07:28 AM »
Not only because he’d be stepping over it constantly but also because video games are for children and degenerates so it makes you look like a moron or a gang member or something.
THINK ABOUT IT!

Ah, of course! :lol: Entertaining as always Mr. Zeta!

So, I'm ready to join the yakuza. :D

gilbert

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 03:36:23 AM »
No self respecting 1980s adult Japanese would leave his Famicom cords strewn through his main room 24/7.
Not to mention that Famicom controllers are hardwired (unless you mod the console or plug an extra controller in the expansion slot, but those controllers aren't well known to have long cords either) so you are stuck with such short cables, but no one complained back in the good old days.

soop

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 03:49:28 AM »
For stuff like the Famicom and the Super Famicom, all the American/PAL counterparts all had much longer cables.  Because we sit further away.

ColinM

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 03:50:31 AM »
Neo Geo was another console that I was surprised had such short cables. Especially annoying since the awesome controllers were best suited to being put in your lap.

The NES Classic had awful short controller cables too, not to mention didn't even have official extensions for a little while. People figured out how to use WiiMote cables to extend it. So that didn't seem like a money grab, just a weird choice.

I don't have my Duo yet, but plan on immediately making controller extensions. My setup doesn't lend well to moving the console away from the TV closer to the couch for playing.

NightWolve

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 04:03:31 AM »
So the need-gold-bricks-to-buy-the-games rich man's console had short controller cables for the US market ?? Heh. That is surprising.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 04:09:47 AM »
I don't have my Duo yet, but plan on immediately making controller extensions.

It might be cheaper to buy rather than make 'em.  They're ~$2 plus shipping on monoprice; here in cornland that works out to $4.50 for one or $6 for two and gets even cheaper if you need more.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

imparanoic

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 04:06:21 PM »
japanese homes especially in tokyo are generally smaller, hence why most consoles have short cables, the high property prices results smaller places to live, but nowadays, Hong Kong is more expensive to live, however, it's noted that japanese homes are larger in rural places or smaller towns

imparanoic

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 04:07:43 PM »

It might be cheaper to buy rather than make 'em.  They're ~$2 plus shipping on monoprice; here in cornland that works out to $4.50 for one or $6 for two and gets even cheaper if you need more.

monoprice sells compatible cables for pc engine ? if yes, please forward link, i will order a few and pass to my cousin who lives in NY

ColinM

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 12:25:32 AM »

monoprice sells compatible cables for pc engine ? if yes, please forward link, i will order a few and pass to my cousin who lives in NY

If I remember right this is the monoprice cable:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10215&cs_id=1021501&p_id=534&seq=1&format=2

I ordered this because I wanted black though:

http://www.kraydad.com/mini-din-8-pin-male-female-black-6-ft-extension-cable/

I'm sure you can find black ones cheaper somewhere but I wanted to use Amazon Pay, and didn't want to wait for shipping from China.