Author Topic: Anybody have any experience with DS bootlegs? + nurse drawing  (Read 515 times)

johnnykonami

Hey guys, I know I've been a stranger but I have been trying to lurk!  Work has been keeping me full time busy.

Anyway, I recently got the bug to buy some DS games, but I'm wondering about two:  Castlevania and Ghost Trick, particularly Ghost Trick.  The weird thing about that one was the cover art was inserted upside down and then it was shrinkwrapped that way (non-factory, do it yourself with your home shrinkwrapping machine looking shrinkwrap).  Other than that I just don't see anything else suspicious looking.  Castlevania was also new, had a Y-fold shrinkwrap, and all the manuals and papers (I think).  What weirds me out about that one are the english/french/spanish stuff on the front and back cover which is strange for a US release.  When you start the game you can also choose between french or english.  Was that in the original release in the US?

They are legit seeming enough that I shouldn't care or worry, but I know they were popular games and I got "new" copies off of amazon sellers pretty easily so I thought they might be booties.  Only have a regular DS lite to test with, I heard that a DSi and 3DS would help to test since they might not boot in those if they are bootlegs.  If anyone has any other tips to figure it out, I'd love to hear them.  The cart stickers, manual quality, embossed nintendo logos in the plastic and everything are good.  Serial numbers match everywhere on the box and cart.

For the rest of you, here is a drawing of an anime nurse that came with the Eyeshield 21.  I guess the seller is an aspiring manga artist!

Purple1308

Re: Anybody have any experience with DS bootlegs? + nurse drawing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
Well I've seen a bunch you usually at gamestop and most of them have the wrong code on the cart and the color of the plastic can be wrong or the sticker could be wrong in many quantities or they could misspell words.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

seieienbu

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 07:14:25 PM »
The drawing was cool.  The only bonus I've ever gotten with random purchases has been yu gi oh cards.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 03:34:42 AM »
My bought near release copy of Order of Ecclesia has French and Spanish on the back of the case. Don't have the other game you are worried about so I can't check that. It's...probably fine though. I've seen bootleg Pokemon ds carts and they were pretty obvious.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 05:01:25 PM »
One thing I know, is that bootleg DS & GBA games tend to stop working randomly over time.  Also, occasionally, bootlegs will look significantly different from the real deal in regards to the case thickness.

johnnykonami

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
Thanks for the insight, everyone!

My bought near release copy of Order of Ecclesia has French and Spanish on the back of the case. Don't have the other game you are worried about so I can't check that. It's...probably fine though. I've seen bootleg Pokemon ds carts and they were pretty obvious.

I think my copy of Ecclesia is legit then, I think I just felt like everything I could be buying that was both a.) new/shrinkwrapped in 2018, and b.) a universally praised game could be a bootleg.  I still think my Ghost Trick might be, I don't see how such an obvious manufacturing defect like having the label upside down could happen (unless it was known they were all that way?)  Otherwise it seems like someone put it together by hand.  The rest of it looks real though...

TheClash603

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 02:29:22 PM »
I own Ghost Trick, I dont recall it being upside down.