Author Topic: Game of the Month: July 2019 Last Alert/Red Alert  (Read 559 times)

geise

Game of the Month: July 2019 Last Alert/Red Alert
« on: July 01, 2019, 09:49:15 PM »
Last Alert/Red Alert

So here we are in July. June went by way to quickly. For this month I wanted to keep it action oriented. I've also been on a personal Telenet kick as of late. So Last Alert / Red Alert is now new game for this month. I have not cleared this game since 95 mainly cause I never really played it much. I loved it at the time, but I just never came back to it. So this is a good excuse to get me to start it up again. It's a fairly decent game with incredibly fantastic voice acting! Enjoy guys and have fun!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: July 2019 Last Alert/Red Alert
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 10:18:05 PM »
This is a damn good choice with the 4th coming up.  Freedom brought to you at the end of a bayonet, fuck yeah! Murika, bitch!!!

I'm gonna try to make this my next clear.  :pcgs:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 03:05:41 PM »
Perfect for the 4th!  Excellent choice!! WOOO

O0

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 01:20:40 PM »
It's a fairly decent game with incredibly fantastic voice acting! Enjoy guys and have fun!
Voice acting is something alright...pretty sure I played LA for the first time after Ys, and that set the bar high.  Played some last night but I was waning fast so put it down while on the snow stage. I'll try to get some more time in on it to relive the early days of TG-CD.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

cabbage

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 04:13:15 AM »
Great choice, geise!

I played through Red Alert today and had a blast. I played Last Alert years ago and remember getting a kick out of the dub, but now my copy is MIA. Luckily I had picked up a copy of Red Alert recently. Why is this game still so dirt cheap? It's completely playable without knowing Japanese and the story is easy enough to follow thanks to the cutscenes.

IMHO: This game is terribly underappreciated. The gameplay is fun and not too repetitive. There are a few challenging parts but nothing too frustrating. The graphics are clean and charming. The plot is insane and I like that the game doesn't take itself too seriously. Leveling up by score to unlock new weapons is an interesting idea that works out pretty well. And the music is fantastic! This game is pure FUN and reminds me of why I fell in love with the PCE/TG back in the day.

Maybe I should burn a copy of Last Alert and try to play through it again before the end of July for some "fancy action."

geise

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 10:40:47 PM »
Nice Cabbage!

In the end I had to burn a copy of Last Alert so you might as well. My original I own was bought for $4 back in 93. There are not a ton of scratches but one looks pretty bad. I get boss music and cut scene sounds, but no game level music or map music. So, I just played a burn with no issues. I'll get the disc resurfaced at some point.

I know you can continue, but I'm trying to 1CC. I haven't played in a few days, but I can at least get to level 7 on one run. I have this weekend so will give another few runs.  It is a great game to come back to after a long hiatus.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 12:19:42 AM »
Thanks to geise, I have clear #103.  Other than the stupid timer, this game is fooking great and should be played and discussed more.

But I didn't even try to 1CC this one.  That stupid timer is le bullshit on a few levels.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

geise

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »
Nice on the clear!  I have yet to clear it. I try to do the 1CC. Will have a go soon again.

geise

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 03:14:13 PM »
Well I cleared Last Alert but not on a 1CC. It was fun doing this game for July. I haven't touched Last Alert for years/decades?