Author Topic: Anyone know of an active and reputable PC Engine repair Service (ideally in UK)?  (Read 675 times)

BazookaJo

Dragged both my PC Engines out of storage for a dabble and found that both are stone dead  :cry: (power looks good but no output on-screen).

Tried contacting a few of the better known repairers that deal with this little beauty but 8-bit plus in UK is no longer taking on repairs, and an email to Otaku's store in France never even got a reply.

Anyone know of any reputable and currently active repairers that might be able to help me out - A UK based repairer would be ideal though this seems to be a tall ask..

Many thanks in advance

Paul.

NotNightwolf

These are just base PC Engine consoles? And they were working before going into storage? That's kind of scary I wonder what happened.
Formerly Gypsy, hoping to get my old account back.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
PC Engines ("white", Core, Core2) seem pretty resilient in my experience. I had a 3rd part power supply once that had the right volts, but not enough amps so it would cause a system to not power on(but I'd get garbage image signal on screen). If the systems had been modified for another video out, it could be some mod work had failed.

If the OP was talking Duo's, we all know leaving them in storage is a ticking time bomb for leaking caps.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

BazookaJo

Yup - both the original white Japanese PCEs.

One had been converted to PAL, as for the other I'm not sure if it was PAL or NTSC - it had the old grey AV Booster on the back and was my go-to machine.  In hindsight it may have been that unknown to me the PAL version has been out of sorts for some time prior to storage.

As far as I'm aware not drops or damage has occurred on either unit so slightly puzzled as to the - can the caps on the standard engine just die of old age, maybe moisture corroded some connection or other etc?

Cheers Paul.

NotNightwolf

PC Engines ("white", Core, Core2) seem pretty resilient in my experience. I had a 3rd part power supply once that had the right volts, but not enough amps so it would cause a system to not power on(but I'd get garbage image signal on screen). If the systems had been modified for another video out, it could be some mod work had failed.

If the OP was talking Duo's, we all know leaving them in storage is a ticking time bomb for leaking caps.

Indeed. The term PC Engine is vague and could mean anything although in my mind I do first think of the early model white RF only unit.

Yup - both the original white Japanese PCEs.

One had been converted to PAL, as for the other I'm not sure if it was PAL or NTSC - it had the old grey AV Booster on the back and was my go-to machine.  In hindsight it may have been that unknown to me the PAL version has been out of sorts for some time prior to storage.

As far as I'm aware not drops or damage has occurred on either unit so slightly puzzled as to the - can the caps on the standard engine just die of old age, maybe moisture corroded some connection or other etc?

Cheers Paul.

Thank you for answering my questions. I wish you luck on your quest to get them repaired.

If they were stored in really poor conditions that could have done it. There really aren't cap problems for these units.
Formerly Gypsy, hoping to get my old account back.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Keith is 'round here.  I bet he could fix 'em, but shipping to US would be teh suck.

Good luck!  Two dead PCEs is so sad...   :(
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles