Author Topic: Game of the Month: October 2019 Splatterhouse  (Read 1304 times)

geise

Game of the Month: October 2019 Splatterhouse
« on: October 01, 2019, 09:38:17 PM »
Splatterhouse

First I want to thank everyone for the turnout with Galaga 90! That was super nice to see! So, since it's October of course it'd be fitting to have Splatterhouse! This is one that really let me show of the Turbo back when it was initially released. A fun game all around. Play mechanics are a little clunky but it's still a fun game with fantastic graphics. It's sad the other two games moved over to the Genesis/MD. This is still the best one to me. Only one better is the Arcade.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: October 2019 Splatterhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 11:12:33 PM »
Woot!  Splatterhäus is the perfect game for upcoming Halloween.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 10:40:22 AM »
Might be a bit trope for Halloween, but good is good. Better pick than Ghost Manor or Addams Fam!

I never "got" the hype folks have for the game...maybe it's just the gory-ness of it all but to me it seemed to close to home. Being raised by cultists in a damp basement while locked up in a cage made me feel this game was upbeat and uplifting! I never had a cool mask nor any 2x4's to bash in bats. All I had was a few rats to keep me company in the late 80's...tho, a couple were tasty. (hard times, man)

PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

geise

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 11:20:59 AM »
Might be a bit trope for Halloween, but good is good. Better pick than Ghost Manor or Addams Fam!

I never "got" the hype folks have for the game...maybe it's just the gory-ness of it all but to me it seemed to close to home. Being raised by cultists in a damp basement while locked up in a cage made me feel this game was upbeat and uplifting! I never had a cool mask nor any 2x4's to bash in bats. All I had was a few rats to keep me company in the late 80's...tho, a couple were tasty. (hard times, man)

It's exactly why I chose it. Maybe Shadow of the Beast could've worked as well.

ceti alpha

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 10:46:31 PM »
Woot! Love me some Splatterhouse!  :dance:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 09:34:24 PM »

I was a little rusty and died a few more times than usual, but I still pulled out a 1CC.  Tis such a great game.

Next I'll try some of the PCE version, maybe hard mode, and some more of the chrome hack.  It's neat but hard (that's what she said?) and I'm fucked early on when you have to slide under twirling blades.  I am le dumb and can't slide.

Punch

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 08:23:55 PM »
It's a great game but I suck at it... I need to use this game of the month as an excuse to man up and beat the shark

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 09:44:45 PM »
Dooo eeet, punch.  Stop being a pussy and beat the shaaaark already.   :P

I just 1CC'd the PCE version, with two hearts and four masks in reserve and 216,000 points.  As expected, there's no discernible difference in difficulty or scoring.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 11:22:04 AM »
The chrome hack is too dang hard for me.  I can do okay(ish) up to the hanging blades that you're supposed to slide under, then it's coitains!  I give up.   :-[

Next I'll try my hands (they're very good hands) at hard mode in the regular game.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 12:17:02 PM »
I'm not too good at Splatterhouse, only get to level 4 before I used the level cheat to see the further levels. It has a charm, but I never fell into the attraction that others have for it. It's fun to mess around with during Halloween, but I'd rather play Bloody Wolf. Do not get me wrong, I'd not sell my copy since it is kinda iconic for the obey.

I'll keep hacking at it...maybe get further on one credit. 
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

gex

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 01:33:27 AM »
Always preferred the 2nd one, but the TG16 one is so classic 8)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »
You know what I'm gonna do here? Know where I'm going with this right about now? I'm gonna go ahead and be a poop pants in a game of the month thread right here right now!

I'll just be a man up front with you and say it.

Splatterhouse isn't all that great. I'm glad you guys like it, you made it game of the month, you enjoy playing it, but I ain't one of ya. I'll buy ya a beer, you can think I'm cute... but I just ain't one of ya.

geise

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 06:55:51 PM »
Game of the Month isn't necessarily supposed to be amazing games. I was just kinda doing it how SamIam was doing it. Just picking games people mentioned they wanted to do. Some were great and some were mediocre. Still it was fun going through games I might not have done before. Yeah everyone's played Splatterhouse or should have by now. Yeah, it's not the greatest game. Still though, it's a great arcade port of a decent game for the time. 

When there's more activity I'll think about doing a vote thread that will be more than 5 people. LOL.  Well, 6 people. Ninnypants will probably vote even though he's a useless troll.

Keith Courage

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 08:57:40 PM »
Splatterhouse is on the TurBOB is fantastic. Never got into the 2nd one.

Mathius

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 09:48:23 PM »
I need to go and clear my 'Engine copy again after nearly a decade of leaving it sit. The last level's music and the grotesque last boss fights are what sticks out in my mind the most.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406