Author Topic: Recommend me some PCE Hucards  (Read 4363 times)

Androsynth

Recommend me some PCE Hucards
« on: November 25, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »
So getting back into this system again has been fun. Currently, for the near future, my Duo R is down for the count, so I'm limited to Hucard games at the moment. I have a modest collection of good stuff: the usual suspects like Gradius, Salamander, Image Fight, Zipang, New Zealand, Final Soldier, Daisenpu, Download, Xevious and the like. I was just getting into the imports when I moved up north and packed it all away.

Problem is, I lost my list of titles to get, and it's been ages since I've looked into the Japanese portion of the library. I've forgotten what's even available. I'm a rabid shmup fan, but I also like most other genres.

Any titles you fine folks would care to recommend? Not looking for CIB, loose is fine, affordable is even better (I do plan on getting a few of the pricier shooters like Tatsujin at some point). I'll be diving through the PC Engine bible again to kind of learn the library, but I figured you folks could steer me in the right direction. Thanks!

nectarsis

Re: Recommend me some PCE Hucards
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:37:22 AM by nectarsis »
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 12:27:19 AM »
These aren't exclusive to JP, but they're all games I love: all 3 Bonks, all 3 Bomberman (they're rather cheap), Battle Load Runner, Skweek, Dead Moon, Dungeon Explorer, Air Zonk, Cadash, Galaga, Time Cruise, both Neutopias, Ninja Spirit, Parasol Stars, Splatterhouse, and of course Hatris.

If you don't have a flashcart yet, I'd start there.  Then you can sample before buying and play sweet hacks and translations like those for Energy, Bubblegum Crash, Shada, etc. and fun homebrews like Atlantean, Island Adventure, Flappy Bird, Nantatette (sp?), etc.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 02:46:05 AM »
You can't justify being alive until you've experienced Blazing Lazers (or Gunhed in Jap).

Androsynth

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 10:44:37 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! To be clear, I'm only missing about 6 games for the US hucard set, so I have most definitely played and appreciated stuff like Blazing Lazers, Silent Debuggers, Bonk, Dead Moon, Cadash etc. And I agree, those games are amazing, particularly blazing lazers/gunhed, Silent Debuggers, and Galaga 88.

It's specifically the PCE import stuff that I'm unfamiliar with. Genshi Tsushin Agedama and Son Son II look very fun, I will add those to the list for sure.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 01:07:21 PM »
I had a busted CD drive for a while and got back into HuCard games for a spell. I enjoyed Dragon Saber, Parodius, Xevious, Twin Tiger, Final Soldgier, Momo Katsugeki and Zipang(for imports) along with what others have mentioned already.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Androsynth

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »
I had a busted CD drive for a while and got back into HuCard games for a spell. I enjoyed Dragon Saber, Parodius, Xevious, Twin Tiger, Final Soldgier, Momo Katsugeki and Zipang(for imports) along with what others have mentioned already.

Thanks. Twin Tiger I have heard of, but I missed Dragon Saber and Momo. Adding those.

I love Zipang. Was always a huge Solomon's Key fan back in the day, and was delighted to find a spiritual (better) sequel on the PCE.

Punch

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
The easy way to get good PCE hucards is to go after shooters. Tired of a roided out NES game hucard? Buy R-Type. That game you bought sucks? Buy Raiden.

etc. etc. They're the ones that more represent the console as a 16-bit machine

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 03:09:21 PM »
sidearms.

:icon_cat_derpy:

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 12:11:19 PM »
sidearms.

Troll early, troll often.

Ordyne.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Gypsy

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 04:52:00 PM »
Ordyne and Sidearms are fine!

Been enjoying Super Volleyball.

Punch

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
Sidearms is one of the proper 16bitish games, and it's fun. Nothing wrong with it

Gredler

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 07:59:30 PM »
Sidearms is one of the proper 16bitish games, and it's fun. Nothing wrong with it

Can you explain further how it is more 16bitish ?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 08:52:10 PM »
Well, it's clearly more than 15 bitish, but it's hard to say that it's all the way up to 17 bitish.   :cook:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 11:36:01 PM »

Can you explain further how it is more 16bitish ?

Arcade quality pixelart & shading, higher resolution than Genesis or SNES can do, arcade-superior sound, action that would cause slowdown in many Genesis shooter game engines and would melt the SNES. :boom:
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum