Author Topic: Motion sickness in video games  (Read 1671 times)

Turboschmuck

Motion sickness in video games
« on: December 02, 2019, 10:03:30 AM »
I never thought I would see the day when I get motion sickness from playing certain video games (katamari damacy reroll for the switch), anyone else have had this unfortunate thing happen? Really sucks bad..

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Motion sickness in video games
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 01:33:13 PM »
I get it sometimes from early (primitive) FPS games, like Wolf 3D and Doom, but it never bothered me at all back in the day.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
I've heard this from a few of my friends that started feeling it with certain 3D games.

Things like Skyrim or Fallout 3 with it's FPS really messed with them, but games like Uncharted or Horizon or Breath of the Wild are fine.

It sucks, but luckily I spend my time playing OBEY and most 16-bit era games anyway, so I'm unsure if it would effect me since I'm pretty meh on FPS style games. :)

Gredler

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 01:50:33 PM »
When I am playing I typically never get motion sickness in game, but when watching someone else play, and looking up and down away from the game often, I get very motion sick very quickly. When I worked on FPS games it was constantly a problem when doing long play-through-reviews of our levels :-&

Schweaty505

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 09:32:20 PM »
The only one I've come close in is Ace Combat 7 VR

xelement5x

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 10:35:11 PM »
Yeah, I've gotten motion sickness with VR but the more I play the less it impacts me now.  Maybe my brain is learning to compensate or something.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

DarkKobold

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 12:57:13 AM »
I was super excited to get a virtual boy. Had a ton of fun playing it in the stores. Finally get one, get it home... and get the worst headache of my life. Put it away, to collect dust. :(
Hey, you.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 11:09:03 AM »
I was super excited to get a virtual boy. Had a ton of fun playing it in the stores. Finally get one, get it home... and get the worst headache of my life. Put it away, to collect dust. :(

That's honestly a pretty common(ish) side effect of playing VB games. :(  Which games did you try? I found I would get it on certain games, but not while playing Wario Land VB.   Sorry to hear it dude! :(

It sucks, but luckily I spend my time playing OBEY and most 16-bit era games anyway, so I'm unsure if it would effect me since I'm pretty meh on FPS style games. :)

Also, ironic I posted about being meh at current gen FPS games as I'm currently addicted to silly Destiny 2 on PS4, lol   I'm still terrible at it, but I'm having a blast!

Bartre

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 11:02:14 PM »
I only recently encountered this for the first time in my life.
Never had any issues with vertigo, motion sickness or anything.
been on the ocean rocking and rolling, playing a bunch of VR, thrown in one of those spinny flippy chair things they use on astronauts, nothing.

but holy mother of god the screen shake in Metal Gear Solid V when you're sprinting is horrendous.
After messing around with it a bit, I found that if I aim the camera up at the sky so not so much of the ground is visible or vice versa it's fine, and it only bugs me after about 30 seconds or so, but still, weird to experience for the first time.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 09:36:04 AM »
I only recently encountered this for the first time in my life.
Never had any issues with vertigo, motion sickness or anything.
been on the ocean rocking and rolling, playing a bunch of VR, thrown in one of those spinny flippy chair things they use on astronauts, nothing.

but holy mother of god the screen shake in Metal Gear Solid V when you're sprinting is horrendous.
After messing around with it a bit, I found that if I aim the camera up at the sky so not so much of the ground is visible or vice versa it's fine, and it only bugs me after about 30 seconds or so, but still, weird to experience for the first time.

Holy crap man, that has to be frustrating!!  Luckily though, you can always just not play MGSV and that cures everything, hahaha!!

Paranoia Dragon

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2023, 04:42:36 PM »
I get it sometimes from early (primitive) FPS games, like Wolf 3D and Doom, but it never bothered me at all back in the day.

I know this is old, but I used to get the same thing with Wolfenstein and doom and such. Somehow I managed to get used to it though. It was just in the very beginning when 3D games first popped up that I was like super weirded out and felt kind of sick when playing them.