Author Topic: Game of The Month: February 2020 - New Adventure Island  (Read 1785 times)

geise

Game of The Month: February 2020 - New Adventure Island
« on: February 01, 2020, 04:50:27 PM »
New Adventure Island

Here is a fantastic platformer for the Turbo. This is a fantastic game that most I'm sure know well. It's one game I have not ever given enough time to and I have no idea why. I loved these games on the Nintendo and Super Nintendo systems. Thankfully it plays more like the NES games. I like that a lot more since it's faster paced. The SNES game is great especially with the music but I was happy that this kept more with the NES gameplay. Hopefully others will enjoy this game this month. Have fun!

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of The Month: February 2020 - New Adventure Island
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:29:30 AM »
Excellent choice and a perfect reason to give it an honest go!  I've only beaten it using the level select code so now a full run is in order!

Thanks for posting this mate!  8)

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 08:57:52 AM »
Great looking HuCard game, Hudson had a good handle on programming for the PCE by '92. Gameplay remains basic, like the NES/FC but they is okay b/c it makes for a good pick up'n play type of game. I also never got to far into it, maybe got to level 3 or at least the end of the 2nd world. It'll be nice to focus some time into this one so I can experience and see more of the awesome gfx.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

roflmao

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »
I've always been horrible at this game. Maybe this month I'll get a little more practice in!

Gredler

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 07:42:39 PM »
I had never played this game back in the day, and still don't own this so I popped in the old TED and gave it a whirl - and I can see why it's so popular. The game controls very nicely, has very well tuned level design from the first 6 areas or so that I got to in my first session. I played for probably 30 minutes, and I have to say it was very addictive! I was only trying it out to see how it played, and I kept feeling like "OK one more continue!". The design is very nice how it lets you continue from the beginning of the stage as many times as you want (it seemed? I never hit a limit.) This makes the game feel finish-able, games with limited continues are so frustrating if they don't feel hopeful, so I do have hope to finish this one this month!

Great pick, thank for encouraging us to give this one a try!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 01:00:32 PM »
I've been plugging away at the game in my off time, finally got to world 6. Glad there is a level select, so I can continue later with having to trudge through earlier levels. Hudson seems to have reused a lot of assets, levels do not seem too varying along with bosses(same mechanic to defeat). Still a very good looking game albeit repetitive.

Stage 3-3 music sounds a lot like the tune from the FX Unit Yuki Adv Island levels...I only assume it was intentional being a game that is a love story of obey.

https://youtu.be/d3g-i6l5288?t=938

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 09:43:42 AM »
Managed to clear this one, I did not know I was on the last world when I posted last! I'm so used to 8 worlds, it was a surprise to be on the final stage only after six worlds. Fun game, thanks for having it a game of the week!

geise

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 04:32:08 PM »
Nice on the clear majors! I still haven't cleared it this month. Been a while. Will do a few plays this evening.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 11:10:05 PM »
I want to like this one....

It's cute, colorful, full of nice parallax, and sounds great, but I don't like the gameplay.  It controls so weird, especially the difference in jumping between running and walking, that it feels sloppy.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 11:18:26 AM »
It controls so weird, especially the difference in jumping between running and walking, that it feels sloppy.
Well it's better than JJ&Jeff/Kato&Ken :)

It does have a slippery feel, but a lot of platformers did that in the 90's. I remember Psycho Fox and Alex Kidd on SMS had that mechanic and it annoys me too.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 11:24:44 AM »
It controls so weird, especially the difference in jumping between running and walking, that it feels sloppy.

It does have a slippery feel, but a lot of platformers did that in the 90's. I remember Psycho Fox and Alex Kidd on SMS had that mechanic and it annoys me too.

I would argue that Kato&Ken is the better game overall. The controls are easier, level design is great and trippy the further you get and start to figure out all the warps. NAI has a better soundtrack and the graphics are wonderful!  But yeah, Kato&Ken is an excellent AI style game that is more rewarding the further you get.

Mathius

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 02:56:45 PM »

I would argue that Kato&Ken is the better game overall. The controls are easier, level design is great and trippy the further you get and start to figure out all the warps. NAI has a better soundtrack and the graphics are wonderful!  But yeah, Kato&Ken is an excellent AI style game that is more rewarding the further you get.

NAI was one of the first Turbo games I ever downloaded onto my Wii off of the old VC and, as it relates, JJ & Jeff was one of my first US Hueys bitd so they both are nostalgic to me for various reasons. I gotta agree though that JJ is the better game with more personality plus atmosphere thanks to that excellent soundtrack.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

geise

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 07:28:26 PM »
Didn't clear this one this month. Came close. Got to the last level. Onto the next month.

roflmao

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 08:48:29 PM »
I spent some time playing NAI in Feb. but it's just not my bag. Gorgeous, colorful graphics and an excellent soundtrack, though!