Author Topic: Hudson's Adventure Island: Strange level cheat?  (Read 668 times)

Trenton_net

Hudson's Adventure Island: Strange level cheat?
« on: February 15, 2020, 11:48:21 PM »
Hey Everyone,

So I was playing Hudson's Adventure Island and I noted something quite strange. Having just played SF2, I noted that if I am using an Avenue Pad 6 while in A mode, the game works as normal. However, the second you flip your controller to B mode (6 button mode), it causes the game to instantly finish the current level your on as if you have beaten it. Was this an intentional cheat or is this a genuine game glitch? I'm sure others must have run into this, but I found it amusing non the less! :-)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Hudson's Adventure Island: Strange level cheat?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 12:50:59 AM »
You cheater!   :cook:

I think the game is older than the pad, so I doubt it was intentional.  No mistakes, only happy accidents!  O0
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 04:49:53 PM »
Are you talking about New Adventure Island?

If so, I'll have to try it if I can make time to play before the next game of the month.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 09:40:55 AM »
I experienced the same issue with a Ave 3 pad. I think I was pausing the game so I could connect a extension cord and when plugging it back in, it cleared the level.

I noticed on gamefaqs, it has been documented as a cheat.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Trenton_net

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 03:15:07 PM »
Are you talking about New Adventure Island?

If so, I'll have to try it if I can make time to play before the next game of the month.
Yep, this was New Adventure Island. For some reason It was clearing all the levels instantly, and it was only until I changed button configurations did it stop. I assume the cheat/debug(?) code must have been programmed in such a way that under normal cases, it would be impossible to trigger (Like pushing left and right at the same time). I assume under 6 button mode, games that weren't designed for it must see inputs much differently.