Author Topic: Broken carriage gear hookup on CD-ROM2, how to replace?  (Read 659 times)

braindead

Broken carriage gear hookup on CD-ROM2, how to replace?
« on: February 27, 2020, 07:06:50 PM »
I think it's a carriage gear hookup? I don't know how to describe it really, but it's the plastic piece that connects via 2 screws the laser assembly so it can seek on the disc, and it is moved by the (worm?) gear. Funnily enough everyone talks about the centre gear failing, but mine is fine, it's this other piece that's had 2 teeth snap off so the (worm) gear just spins freely and the laser won't move at all.

Here's a pic:

https://i.imgur.com/EVJiDjN.jpg

Is it possible to get a replacement plastic piece?

Earthshaker

• アースシェイカー
Re: Broken carriage gear hookup on CD-ROM2, how to replace?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 05:37:29 PM »
You can try to create in 3d and print it... It's tricky but I dont have other ideas >.<
七転び八起き

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 04:36:48 AM »
I've used a twist tie to repair before. Wish I had some pictures to show you.

Remove the entire white plastic part. Strip the outer casing off of a twist tie. Run it through one of the screw holes on the lens and over the top of the rail then through the 2nd hole next to it. Twist the ends of the tie together under the lens and bend them flat so they won't touch anything inside the CD drive. Then put some glue on the twisted ends to help reinforce so they don't come apart over time.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 08:19:08 AM by Keith Courage »

pipi

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 04:52:48 AM »
I am not sure if this is the specific part you need but 3d printing seems quite a good idea (investigate for stronger materials than PLA, maybe):
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3742890